The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ultimate macro choice

nostatic

From reading some threads and reviews (as well as the specs), it seems like the GR2 might be a very good choice for a take-anywhere macro shooter. I confess that most of my eye is drawn that way, toward textures and patterns, and while the D-lux3 isn't bad for macro, it doesn't totally rock either (at least in my hands). I like the idea of being able to get within 1 cm of the subject.

Thoughts on macro use with the GR2 or is there another candidate? My SD400 has been great for macro, and even though the A620 was supposed to be better, I still preferred the SD400. The D70 and 105micro combination is great but not exactly pocketable. And it also has a very narrow dof.

Terry

From reading some threads and reviews (as well as the specs), it seems like the GR2 might be a very good choice for a take-anywhere macro shooter. I confess that most of my eye is drawn that way, toward textures and patterns, and while the D-lux3 isn't bad for macro, it doesn't totally rock either (at least in my hands). I like the idea of being able to get within 1 cm of the subject.

Thoughts on macro use with the GR2 or is there another candidate? My SD400 has been great for macro, and even though the A620 was supposed to be better, I still preferred the SD400. The D70 and 105micro combination is great but not exactly pocketable. And it also has a very narrow dof.
I actually have done a lot of macros with small sensor cameras. However, for most of them I used an adapter and a close-up lens. I made an adapter for a Panasonic TZ3

I also just bought an adapter from Hong Kong for the d-lux3/lx2 which has a 52 mm thread for a close up lens. Generally I use a +4 diopter lens. I haven't tried out the new adapter yet.

If you go to my galleries on Zenfolio:

tbanet.zenfolio.com

Flower Macros - Panasonic FZ8 with close up lenses either +2, +4 and +8
April in Arizona - again FZ8
London - Panasonic TZ3 with +4

V

VladimirV

I'd say from what I've seen the Ricoh cameras have one of the best macro modes. The GRD II is very good as is the GX-100 so I'd say it's between these two. No need for any adapters or close up lenses. The manual focus is very important to have when using macro mode and the ability to change the focus point in macro mode is a very usefull feature.

Maggie O

Man, something else to tempt me to get a GR-D II! The D-Lux 3 does gorgeous macros, but it can't get in as close...

V

VladimirV

To tempt Maggie even more, here 2 images to show why the GRD is my choice for macros and to just show off some pictures :p

H

hiro

For macro I think a longer focal length is better or you will overshadow the subject. I think the GX100 at 72mm setting should give a slightly smaller field of view at 4cm than a 28mm lens will achieve at 1cm. For me that extra working distance is crucial, 1 cm is just too close for comfort.

For reference the GX100 gives 25x19mm field of view at 72mm (4cm focus) and 29x22mm at 24mm (1cm focus).

There is also a "zoom macro mode" which gives 17x13mm @ 1cm. I'm not sure what exactly this mode does since the handbook doesn't explain what the camera's scene modes really do, but I think it must set the zoom to the focal length which gives best magnification (since optical zoom is disabled during this mode). I know that some other cameras do this.

nostatic

Man, something else to tempt me to get a GR-D II! The D-Lux 3 does gorgeous macros, but it can't get in as close...
So far I haven't been able to "beat" my SD400 on macros with the D-Lux 3. Part of it may be familiarity (been shooting with the Canon for a couple of years), but the other part is I like to get up close and personal with the subjects (usually inanimate). Probably just more practice and getting to know the limits of the tool. But I have ways of working and it often is easier to find a tool that works than change the nut behind the camera...