The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From D-lux 3 to D-lux 4

OK, I have to admit I never was altogether happy with my D-lux 3 that I bought just over 1 year ago. It felt fiddly in my big hands, and the images needed quite a lot of PP to look OK (I always shoot raw).

I tried to tell myself that an upgrade would give only a marginal improvement, and that I would be better off using my Digilux 2 and my G1 all the time. But they are both "camera bag" cameras, and at times, this does matter.

So, today I took the plunge and got myself a D-lux 4. I managed to get the accessory grip as a bonus, and got out for some test shooting. And, while I got nothing really worth showing, I soon found out this was a considerable improvement. That grip took away most of the fiddly feeling, the camera was far faster in its reactions, and the reduced zoom range suddenly made it practical to use only the two end positions, like having a 24 and a 50 with a film Leica.

And, the shots are crisper and better exposed right out of the camera (this was a sunny and contrasty day here in Stockholm), and indoor shots at 400 look less noisy than 200 on the old one.

I didn´t carry the old one, so I did no direct comparison shots, but I hope to get around to it one of these days.

In any case, I do feel the upgrade was well worth doing. I´m going to sell off the D-lux 3 asap...

iiiNelson

I'm glad you like it. I almost bought a D-Lux 3 last summer and I'm kind of glad I was patient now.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Per,

Congratulations on your new camera!

I bought one of these approaching a month ago now and really feel that this is a big improvement from other small sensor cameras I have (D-Lux 2 and GRD2). The detail resolved at base ISO is much better than I expected in the RAW files and the OIS works very well allowing very slow shutter speed exposures hence reducing the need to jump up very high into the ISOs.

Just as a side point, C1 4.7 is available now and this version supports JPEG manipulation as well as RAW which previous versions never did. It really helps me as for the odd occassion when I shoot JPEG I can use the same software as for my RAW files.

Thank you all!

Klaus, these are great images! I´m already impressed with the Dlux 4 ability for tight closeups.

Had a long walk this morning, with dog, lunch pack, and cameras. I did some parallel shooting with the G1 and the Dlux 4. Of course the G1 had far better detail in larger landscape vistas; distant trees & c., but the flower closeups I did were a bit of a surprise; in many cases I preferred the Dl4 version (I used the kit lens with an achromat closeup lens on the G1), although the swiveling G1 screen was far easier to use. I enclose one of the Dl4 images.

Michael, the comparison with the Digilux 2 would make a whole thread of it´s own; it´s not just IQ, but handling and "philosophy". The Digilux 2 is the most "Zen" digital camera I´ve ever used. I´ll be back later on this....

Just as a side point, C1 4.7 is available now and this version supports JPEG manipulation as well as RAW which previous versions never did. It really helps me as for the odd occassion when I shoot JPEG I can use the same software as for my RAW files.
Ed, while I did install the bundled C1 (it´s 4.1.3), I haven´t had the time to try it; I use Lightroom 2 which is my normal workflow. Are the upgrades free for bundled versions, or would I have to pay for it?

ecliffordsmith

Hi Per,

The upgrade should be free. If you just download the latest version and enter the key you got with your camera you should be good to go.

Thank you, Ed and Wayne! I keep shooting; really like the camera! Yesterday I shot at my grandson´s birthday party, and was amazed at the responsiveness of the camera, and the ISO 400 IQ. Never had this kind of shooting experience with a p/s before...

Ed, just dl´ed 4.7, and it worked fine; didn´t even have to reenter the key. I´ve seen some people having stability problems with 4.7 under Mac Leopard; let´s see how it works out for me.... Can always revert if I see problems.

R

Richard Franiec

D-Lux4 is definitely great, appealing and very capable tool.
However, when I replaced my LX3 with D-Lux4 I found the handling quite difficult due to the lack of grip. Leica grip was no option for me due to it's size, cost and the way it is attached, blocking access to battery/card compartment. On positive side it shifts tripod threaded hole to the center of the lens.

All this resulted in development of alternative option which is the answer to the prayers of these people who Emailed me with the same as mine reservations about OEM add-on grip. A few attached pictures show the concept better than I can describe in words.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8Ouk_Mzlng0/Sfjkl7Z2AkI/AAAAAAAAAIw/R1o3tEUFyhk/s720/IMG_9947.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8Ouk_Mzlng0/SfjkoSQN4fI/AAAAAAAAAJY/W99LF9p2rjk/s720/IMG_9955.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8Ouk_Mzlng0/Sfjklfl31mI/AAAAAAAAAIo/U91lLqOi56s/s720/IMG_9944a.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8Ouk_Mzlng0/Sfsb4g2mKDI/AAAAAAAAANc/BEMmEXeG55M/s720/IMG_0006a.jpg

I hope that posting these won't violate the forum rules or hijack the thread.
If so, I apologize in advance.

Cheers

Richard

D-Lux4 is definitely great, appealing and very capable tool.
However, when I replaced my LX3 with D-Lux4 I found the handling quite difficult due to the lack of grip. Leica grip was no option for me due to it's size, cost and the way it is attached, blocking access to battery/card compartment. On positive side it shifts tripod threaded hole to the center of the lens.
Richard, I just saw your grip discussed on the Leica forum, and it does look good. Others who know your products have attested to their quality. As for myself, I managed to negotiate the original grip for free when I bought the camera, and I like it a lot. Battery/card access is no big problem, since one doesn´t need to remove the grip completely: just loosen the screw a turn or so and swing the grip out.

If I had known of your solution, and had to pay for the original grip, I think I would have got yours instead; it is very elegant. And so is your cable release adapter. :salute:

R

Richard Franiec

Per,

Thank you for the kind words, really appreciated.
The bargain you have on OEM grip would be impossible to refuse.
On the other hand I would like to know how the ergonomics of my grip compares to the Leica grip.

Seems to me you are the right person to conduct the test.
Please Email me at: [email protected]
My intention is for scientific purposes only.

Cheers

Richard

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
(Sidetrack fer a minute.....
Richard, glad your here. Seeing you just reminded me to order the grip for the DP2.....)

Back to the thread...I had the Panny for a few months and the Leica for less than a week. My best friend of 40+ years came to my home with his wife...and she loved the Leica. So I lost the Leica cause she loved it more than me...

The Panny is a great camera and the only actual problem I had with it was low light focusing...

The D-Lux 2 performs better in low light with focusing but obviously that great f2 lens isn't there....I also found that the D-Lux 2 has somewhat better noise..this is arguable but in my eyes...the truth...

later...Don

R

Richard Franiec

Don,

I'm sure your friend's wife appreciates your good heart and generosity.
Having said that, I hope, you have learned lesson to invite your friend alone to show him new DP2 LOL. Congratulations! I'm sure, you will enjoy the new purchase.

On more serious note and in line with the subject of this thread, what strikes me most with LX3/D-Lux4 images is rendition of very smooth background blur (relatively to other compacts).

In my humble view both, LX3 and D-LUX4 are on the right track to become classics with the advantage going to Leica for its special appeal.

I have loaded new firmware version on mine before even taking a picture with old one. Could someone post the opinion about differences between the output of the two? If this was already discussed I would appreciate link.

Take care

Richard

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Richard,
It seems that the difference between the 2 is in Jpeg images only. The RAW files are identical. The Panny give ya the grip...the Leica gives you a, well...a Leica of sorts. The resale value will go to the Leica. I sold mine because of the low light performance not being what I needed. The DP1 is a better choice for me as I take my time and like the laid back way the camera works.....The DP2 should be at least as good.

I think the next LX model will be a winner if they pay attention to the users...

Richard, did you make a grip for the D-Lux 4? I never checked cause I don't have the camera anymore. The stuf for the G9 and the DP-1 is brilliant.......

Stick around.....
Don

R

Richard Franiec

Don,

Thank you for explanation and again for compliment on accessories.

If you check my first post in this thread you'll find links to some pictures of my D-Lux4 custom grip. In fact I put first batch in the mail today.
Maybe after seeing the pictures you'll get the D-Lux again LOL.

DP1 is very enjoyable tool when used with premeditation and patience.
I'm certain that DP2 will be worthwhile addition to DP line.
However for casual shooting LX3 or D-Lux4 are hard to beat for their versatility. Although IQ not on par with DP, it leaves not too much to complain.

And I will definitely stick around with this nice crowd here.

Cheers

Richard