The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nighttime photography

N

ntrolls

Another attempt to collect exciting images. Long exposures, interesting lightings, anything from the night is welcome :)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
pic of a dead Woolworths store.....another case of the 'wool' being pulled over our eyes while the 'worth' disappears:)
LX3-3200 ASA.
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

thomasl.se

anything from the night is welcome :)
Even fill flash then, just a touch? LX3. 200; 1/15. Big and mean looking billboard lights plus flash at -1.

I can't say I much settled into the 28mm of GR-D, and as a pocketable with night duty I feel the choice is as spot on as it gets for me in Q2 '09. So I picked up an LX3 a few days ago, and this is from my first walk with it. I should be very pleased for many 1/4 year with what this camera has to offer.

Last edited:
N

ntrolls

Will: thanks! That image should've been on the abstract thread too! Nice one :)

gandolfi: very witty.. I wonder what happened to the one in my previous neighbourhood...

thomasl.se: yes, of course, I don't know why "flash photography" didn't come up in my mind... In fact, flash photography is something I never got familiar with let alone master, so I would love to see other people's work. I love how natural your image looks.

thomasl.se

how natural your image looks.
I don't use flash much either, nevertheless one of the first tests I did was fill flash at different intensities. Sometimes just a little fill can keep the PP doctor away, but a bit more and it goes straight into the large archive instead. I've found -1 a nice setting at close range with the LX3, preserving a lot of ambient light while bringing out backlit foreground subjects just enough. With the minimum of fill used here I could PP the shadows as much as wanted, but that was close to how it was snapped.
I suppose another thing about natural, which I'm glad you noted, is that I wanted to go easy with local adjustmens; actually none was used.

Thomas

M

masudkarim

If you've never used night time photography tips to capture the fascinating world of light and silhouette, prepare for a treat! Use night time photography ..

busch63

I love Nightshots very much, too. I like to start with an older pic from "Herman, the German" which have in 2009 big Events because of the 2000th Anniversary of the historic Fight against the Romans. This pic is made with old Ricoh Caplio R4 cam and tripod:

Last edited:

DavidE

A couple of Vegas nighttime shots from my GRD2. I used Silver Efex Pro to process them.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Audii-Dudii

Well, if a DP-1 qualifies as a "small sensor camera," then I guess a DMC-G1 fits right in here as well, given that its sensor is smaller than the DP-1's sensor.

This was shot last Friday night in Superior, Arizona, as part of a series I'm working on for my 2009 SoFoBoMo photo book project. (FYI, the nearly full rising moon backlit the normally unlit sign and provided the atmospheric glow ... no photoshop magic here!)

busch63

Here is a nightshot from another historical place. The Externsteine in Teutonia Forest. The light is just from the town in approx. 4km distance behind the rocks. I used ISO64, 120s, f2.5 and this is out of jpeg, scaled with Gimp and a little wb mods.

pollobarca

Theres some great pictures on this thread , Hope these fit in too

I seemed to get many nighttime shots in Hungary.
Here is one from Budapest GX100

another with Oly c5050z

Gyor GX100

Gyor GX100

All the best