The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1

H

hiro

UK Prices announced
Dp1 digital camera £549.99
DP1 digital camera with optical viewfinder £599.99
That's too expensive: exactly twice what I paid for a GX100 with viewfinder (and that was already at the limit of what I was prepared to pay for a compact camera). If the DP1 had interchangeable lenses like the Leica M8 then it would be interesting but with a fixed 28mm lens it is only really competing with the GRD/GRDII, and for that I think it's overpriced, since you can get the GRDII for £200 less (and which personally I think is still overpriced for a compact).

Brian Mosley

I agree hiro, the DP1 seems to be dramatically overpriced considering the competition... however, it could be a PR stunt to raise the perception of the camera's value at launch.

Also, I get the feeling that Sigma are in the habit of raising the flag to see who salutes! the original DP1 concept was panned on the forums for not having a viewfinder - Sigma seemed to take the comments on board and added a hotshoe + viewfinder attachment.

I have a strong feeling that once production ramps up, the RRP will drop to £450 including viewfinder attachment in the UK. Either that, or it will flop and we'll be picking it up at £200 in the firesales.

Kind Regards

Brian

Lili

Brian,
Isn't it true that most manufacturers announce a price an the actual street price ends up be ing far lower?
Of course that simply could be wishful thinking on my part ;)

P

pcheywood

Firesale price sounds nice to me around now, not that I would wish them a failure. It would just seem that the UK is the eternal cash cow.

Paul.

bbodine9

Amazon pricing as of 2/15/08 in usd

Here is the price from Amazon as of today on preorders, not sure about the converted price for the UK.

List Price: $999.99
Price: $799.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $200.00 (20%)

Availability: This item will be released on March 25, 2008. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

A

asabet

Just about every Sigma camera falls dramatically in price over time. This is in contrast to the Ricohs, which seem to hold price until they are replaced. That said, the US street price for the DP1 is less than 15% more than the price of the GRD II, and I find the higher price of the Sigma justified given that it is the first of its kind and will most likely have much better image quality than the Ricoh in certain situations. Of course the part about better image quality is just a guess. We'll find out soon enough. In the meanwhile, here's an interesting comparison of the Kodak 14nx (DSLR with a 14MP Bayer sensor and no AA filter) and the Sigma SD14 (SLR with the same Foveon sensor found in the DP1). Too bad they didn't have a GRD II on hand for the test :).

Brian Mosley

That's good to know... I hope the price falls dramatically over a very short time in the UK - because at the moment it's looking silly.

I do accept that a unique camera will deserve a higher price - but as I read somewhere, it is a mass produced plastic camera - i.e. hardly a leica.

Kind Regards

Brian

A

asabet

DigitalCameraReview.com had the following to say about the production-ready model: "In terms of build, there's a lot more metal here than was seen on earlier prototypes, giving the whole thing the feeling of a precise photographic instrument." It may be mass produced, but Sigma has no illusions about marketing this to the masses. Here's an excerpt from the 20+ page catalog downloadable from the DP1 site:

Sigma's main effort went into
perfecting basic performance.
We aimed to create a brand-new
compact digital camera delivering
top-of-the-range image quality.
We gave it a large, SLR-sized image
sensor. A direct image sensor
capable of capturing all the light and
color. We developed a lens specially
for top performance. We developed
a special image-processing engine,
from scratch. If you're pursuing the
very essence of cameras and photos,
these elements are indispensable.

We also minimized the automatic
element in selecting the capture
setting. We scaled back the image-
correcting functions, and took care
to leave the photographer plenty
of creative scope. We think the
camera should be a tool that lets the
photographer take the initiative and
work the magic. We designed the
user interface with care.
We made it easy for the user to select
the best mode to shoot in, based his
or her perception of the light and
the subject's texture. We made sure
the camera's own image processing
doesn't tinker too much with the
tone when the data is processed.
This way, the light captured by
the lens is converted faithfully into
image signal. These are the ideals
behind the DP1's approach
to making pictures.

The DP1 may not be the easiest
camera to use, and it may not be
ideal for the casual user. But if you
want a camera that stimulates your
creative intelligence, brings out an
artistic urge you never knew you
had, and ignites your talent, that
would be the DP1. It may not have
the kind of extra features that hit
the headlines. But if you want to
capture the true complexities of
light and color on planet Earth, and
turn them into top-quality images,
then no other camera will do.

A camera for artists: if the DP1
increases the sum of human art by
a single work, Sigma will be happy.
A high-performance compact digital
camera in a class of its own.
A camera aimed squarely at the
heart of photographic art.
A camera that sparks the creative
urge. That would be the DP1.
The DP1 is not priced like a Leica M. It is priced less than 15% higher than a GRD II and close to the average introductory price of the D-LUX series. Seems reasonable to me.

Maggie O

Amazon has the DP1 at a price that is exactly two hundred dollars MORE than the D-Lux 3, I feel I should note.

I have to say, though I am still skeptical, there is as much chance that I will someday get a DP1 as there is me getting a GR-D II.

7ian7

Price matters to us on a personal level, but really I say these guys should charge whatever they believe will make it worth it for them to manufacture something special. My sense is that truly great cameras don't disappear because they are too expensive. If they produce great models, a lot of us will purchase them — overpriced or not — then other manufacturers will jump in, and on it will go. I predict a flurry of compact innovation, and all of these cameras will cost more than we'd like to spend. It will last a few years, until we all basically have our dream cameras in hand — the digital versions of our Hexars or Canonets or GR1's etc — and once that demand is met, the innovation will slow down and it'll be another generation before a new wave is developed. But at least for now, we're at the beginning of that wave, so ... lets party!

Lili

I agree as well :)
waiting till DP-1 and or e420 is out.

edit; tho i still prefer the 'drawing' of images from my GRD, also the GX-100 prices are dropping, adding that temptation to the mix

Last edited:

helenhill

Yesterday i spoke with Tony Rose (POPFLASH)
Thanking him for the rapid arrival of my GR D2 /YEAH!!!! (Traded in my GR d1)
and we talked about the DP1 / which he saw at the Photo Marketing Convention in Las Vegas

The images looked Good that were taken with it but he was NOT impressed with the SIZE
nor the fact that SIGMA would not let you hold or try the camera.
Tony will be getting it in from the Far East by the end of March
Limited amount because SIGMA would prefer you to carry their whole line
SOoooo hold your ears to the ground......wait & see or be content with what you got
Cheers!

Last edited:

Lili

Helen,
Popflash is my preferred dealer. Tony is cool.
They have the GX-100 discounted, and demo even lower.
Sooooo tempted......

A

asabet

Helen,
Popflash is my preferred dealer. Tony is cool.
They have the GX-100 discounted, and demo even lower.
Sooooo tempted......
Popflash is a preferred dealer for me as well. If Popflash gets the DP1 in at a good price, I'll strongly consider cancelling my Amazon pre-order and going with them.

bbodine9

DP1 Macro capability?

Can anyone offer thoughts on how the DP1 may fare in Macro usage? Not sure if the sensor offers advantages here or not. Thanks!

Last edited:
V

VladimirV

There is no macro mode on the DP1, the closest it can focus is 30cm. So for macro it will be useless.