The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fed up of waiting

D

D upton-Hackett.

looks like the LX3 will not be available for some considerable time,so i may go for my 2nd choice The DP2.

A little worried because of my age (66) that i will need the convenience of the image stabilizer to avoid the dreaded tremble.Would the single-focal length lens on the DP2 be affected by my occasional tremble when holding the camera at some distance to compose.

Also have to brush up my picture setting technique as no auto to fall back on.
The 23000. dot colour monitor is it bright enough in full sun to compose picture.

The matching Vf-21 optical viewfinder no price quoted on Sigma website.

Your expert advice would be most welcome to avoid an expensive mistake.

Derek.

Terry

I've seen more evidence (with posts on DPReview) of shipments starting to flow, ok trickle. Also, what is the price difference between a DP2 and the Leica version of the LX3 (called d-lux4) which you may be able to find.

smokysun

amazon has the leica, at last look, 699 us. for your needs i'd definitely go with the d-lux 4 (faster lens, image stab, some tele). the dp1 needs a steady hand and the dp2 i would assume the same.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. leica gives great service and a longer warranty, 2 years.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I think you have to decide on the images you wish to make and then decide on which camera will help to capture them. There is a world of difference between the 2 you are kicking around. There is also a world of difference in the way you will work with each choice.....

D

D upton-Hackett.

Thanks everyone. yes there is big difference between the 2 cameras but i was struck by the quality from the raw pics from the DP2.
Must admit that am still drawn to the LX3 just feel it gives that little more flexibility with it's 24-60 range, must admit forgot the D-Lux4, Hmm a rethink coming.

my wish for camera is DP2 with 24-60 lens+the large sensor now that would be to die for.

D

David Paul Carr

My experience with the DP1 (and it looks as if the DP2 images will be about the same): despite the claims for the Foveon sensor, the resolution is simply not there if you want to make big prints. The colour balance was awful with strange hue shifts in anything other than bright daylight. If you look carefully at the DPReview samples you'll see that the colours still aren't that good. Examine carefully the shadow areas, for example.
I used mine for a pro job last year (a portrait) in tandem with a Canon 5D: endless problems trying to get acceptable skin tones from the Sigma; only a few tweaks fo rthe 5D.
I have an LX3 now. It's still not perfect but I think its a much better tool than the DP1 was. And with a Voigtlander 21mm optical viewfinder it's a wonderful 24mm EFL compact digital camera with incredibly accurate framing.

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

The colors from the DP2 do seem to be improved over the DP1. However, AWB is not one of Sigma's strong points. You do need to pay attention to what you're doing in SPP or you'll end up with tints and color shifts. It's not a big deal and once you get your work flow down, you'll hardly even pay attention to it. But if you just go on full auto, you'll end up with the kind of shots that DPR posted. So it's worth taking a little time to get to know the camera and SPP to get the best out of both.

Comparing the DP1 or DP2 to the 5D for example is apples and oranges. I don't even know why people bother to make that comparison. Different tools for different jobs at considerably different prices.

I had an LX3 for a while and ended up selling it. I sold it partly to fund the purchase of the DP1, and partly because the camera they sell here is locked in Japanese mode and can't be changed to English, and that ticked me off. However, the fast lens, the macro capability, the zoom and the IS are all things that I do miss, and that was on my mind yesterday when I saw a good price for the LX3 in one of the local shops and was reaching for my wallet when I noticed the small sign saying that due to the popularity of the camera, they were sold out. So my credit card didn't suffer that time, but the danger is still there.

Bill

jonoslack

Thanks everyone. yes there is big difference between the 2 cameras but i was struck by the quality from the raw pics from the DP2.
Must admit that am still drawn to the LX3 just feel it gives that little more flexibility with it's 24-60 range, must admit forgot the D-Lux4, Hmm a rethink coming.

my wish for camera is DP2 with 24-60 lens+the large sensor now that would be to die for.
You might at least want to wait and see what Olympus announce on June 15th. It will at least have a large sensor and interchangeable lenses. I guess it won't be as small as the Dp2 or LX3, but there probably won't be a great deal in it.
Downside is that I guess it won't be cheap

D

D upton-Hackett.

You might at least want to wait and see what Olympus announce on June 15th. It will at least have a large sensor and interchangeable lenses. I guess it won't be as small as the Dp2 or LX3, but there probably won't be a great deal in it.
Again my thanks fore your learned advise, and Jono The Olympus sounds good but am looking for a small camera to make it easy to kart around as I tramp the byways of Dorset (Rambling) with large rucksack.

As a novice compared to you all, you will forgive me for asking probably stupid Questions.

Looks as if it will be the Lovely LX3 or if i can do a deal with my local (and a friend) photo dealer the 4 De-Lux.

Derek.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Derek,

The LX3 does not seem to be in short supply here in Brussels. There were several in the camera shop near me yesterday.

Would you like their details?

I have a D-lux 4 and can vouch for the effectiveness of the OIS. The build quality and general responsiveness is very good too. I was expecting quite a bit less from the camera actually based on previous experience with small sensor cameras. Bear in mind also that if you do get a D-Lux 4 at the moment you should get a free, high quality leather case and C1 if you do not already have a RAW processing application.

Good luck!

Will

I have very high hopes that the new Olympus will be a near perfect camera for me. Combined with my GRD2 and DP1 I will be all set. I feel guilty that I hardly ever use my Canon 5D anymore unless I have to. If the olympus lives up to my expectations it may good enough for me to be comfortable selling the 5D and it's lenses.

The waiting is becoming almost unbearable!

D

D upton-Hackett.

Hi Derek,

The LX3 does not seem to be in short supply here in Brussels. There were several in the camera shop near me yesterday.

Would you like their details?

Good luck!
Cliffordsmith thanks for the offer unfortunately I cannot afford the LX3 outright due to pension restrictions, my local camera dealer and friend will take my FZ28 in part X. Unfortunately he doesn't stock Leica.

good news is that he is meeting the Panasonic Dorset rep this afternoon and prompt him over delivery date.

Keeping Fingers crossed.

Derek.

H

HansM

looks like the LX3 will not be available for some considerable time,so i may go for my 2nd choice The DP2.

A little worried because of my age (66) that i will need the convenience of the image stabilizer to avoid the dreaded tremble.Would the single-focal length lens on the DP2 be affected by my occasional tremble when holding the camera at some distance to compose.

Hi Derek,
I am still waiting for the DP-2 (living in Holland, with Japan or the US too far to the West or East to go and fetch it there), so my answer to you is a bit theoretical. Be that as it may, I am quite sure that when one uses the OV at the 'moment decisive', one trembles a whole lot less than when the camera is held at arm's length. I used to make very sharp pictures with my Leica M3, and even with my Nikon F3 (mirror movement notwithstanding) with shutter speeds as slow as 1/8 of a second - no IS of course. But maybe it is easy for me to say so, being still at the right side of 61 (just turned 60, as a matter of fact).

Regards,
Hans

D

D upton-Hackett.

Thanks Hans.
Many happy memories of Amsterdam in the swinging early 70s.

Derek.

Kofronj

I have an LX3 (wife's Christmas present) and an SD14 (not quite as good as the DP1/DP2). For prints, there is simply no comparison---the SD14 prints are much better at 12 x 18" (my standard size print), and much easier to produce. With good technique and good glass (the latter comes built in with the DP1/2), 20 x 30" prints are easily achievable.

Jim