The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dream On

Don Ellis

Taken at 18:46 on my way home.

What I like about this shot, in no particular order:
Twilighting
Red-neon Chinese characters reflected in the tram windows
Café Dream On
The fact that I got everything pretty well aligned top and bottom
Nice lady and her husband looking at me
Guy’s head on the lower deck
Beautiful print at 12x18

Sigma DP2... ISO400, 1/50th, f/2.8, no cropping…

The four characters on the side of the tram invite you to "Get Internet Service Free" (although the characters don't match those words exactly).

Hong Kong Tramways has operated on Hong Kong Island for 105 years and is the only completely double-decker tram system in the world.

Passengers enter at the rear of the tram through a small turnstile to prevent exiting. You can stay on the first floor or take a narrow staircase to the second floor where you’ll find a single row of seats on the left and a double row on the right (plus two pairs of seats in front facing each other). There’s a second staircase near them.

You exit from the front of the tram and pay as you get off. It’s about US$0.50 whether you go one stop or the entire distance. I seem to recall the longest journey, from Shau Kei Wan to Kennedy Town, taking about 90 minutes, so it can be a real bargain and a pleasant photographic journey if you get one of the seats in the front (the windows come down). If you’re over six feet tall, you’ll want to sit down.

Someone thought the bright light on the last character was my flash... no flash, it's part of the advertising design.

Don

ecliffordsmith

Hi Don,

A nice photograph. I really like the field the view this camera provides.

I enjoyed the additional information too. The 90 minute ride sounds like a lot of fun!

N

nei1

very good photo Don and the details you gave were very interesting.

Don Ellis

Hi Don,
A nice photograph. I really like the field the view this camera provides.
I enjoyed the additional information too. The 90 minute ride sounds like a lot of fun!
Thank you... yes, I agree about the field of view. It's been quite interesting, even in the first few days, of dealing with a fixed-lens camera and learning about distances and viewpoints.

I just checked the tram website and they list the journey at 80 minutes... the best thing to do is to take the MTR (subway) to Shau Kei Wan, which is a tram terminus, and then wait for an empty "Kennedy Town" tram and leap on.

At the terminus, you can enter from the front, as well, since there's no one on the tram. Then race up the stairs and take one of the first two seats in front. Drop the window and you're ready to shoot. :)

Don

Don Ellis

Nei1, Will, SharpShooter... thanks very much. Nice to hear you liked it. After eight years of the small-sensor compacts, I find that the DP2 has renewed my interest in photography.

Don

Don Ellis

Nice shot Don. It looks like you and the DP2 are a very good match. I'm glad you found each other.
Bill
Thank you... I love it. I've even been leaving the G9 at home and it's been travelling with me every day since I bought it. I'm of the belief that you'll always lose shots because of your location and your equipment -- so what if I'm not in Paris, so what if I don't have 210mm of zoom. You just adjust your sights and take what you can and don't worry about the rest.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating... your shots were certainly one of the deciding factors in my buying the DP2 and I've been very pleased. Climbing the ladder of the Canon G-series from G1 to G2 to Pro 1 to G9 was nice, but the DP2 is in a different league and I'm enjoying getting to know it.

Don

fordfanjpn

Thank you... I love it. I've even been leaving the G9 at home and it's been travelling with me every day since I bought it. I'm of the belief that you'll always lose shots because of your location and your equipment -- so what if I'm not in Paris, so what if I don't have 210mm of zoom. You just adjust your sights and take what you can and don't worry about the rest.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating... your shots were certainly one of the deciding factors in my buying the DP2 and I've been very pleased. Climbing the ladder of the Canon G-series from G1 to G2 to Pro 1 to G9 was nice, but the DP2 is in a different league and I'm enjoying getting to know it.

Don
Don, I agree with you completely. I'm now carrying just the DP2 and I shoot what I can with it and forget about anything I can't get. Of course I see things that I can't really capture with the DP2, but I don't let it bother me. I could always carry a bunch of cameras and lenses around with me, but I'm much happier carrying just the DP2 and shooting what I can with it.

Thanks for the kind words about my shots. I'm very impressed with what I've seen from you so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Bill

Will

The great thing with the DP1&2 is the quality of the files is so good that you can crop quite a bit to make up somewhat for the lack of zoom.

DP1 shot at my daughters sports day.

And the crop.

Don Ellis

The great thing with the DP1&2 is the quality of the files is so good that you can crop quite a bit to make up somewhat for the lack of zoom. (DP1 shot at my daughters sports day.)
Excellent shot... thanks for the crop reminder and the example.
Don