The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro Rolex

Don Ellis

One thing macro photography does is show you all the lint and every scratch… but only after you’ve taken the shot. So it’s really time to Brasso this crystal and clean the watch up a bit (and maybe shoot it in a light tent, etc., etc). But I’ll post it anyway for its instructional value…

Sigma DP2, ISO200 (camera chose it; I wasn’t paying attention), 0.6 secs, f/14 (I was paying attention)… click for full-size image...

I discovered macro photography in 2001 with my Canon G1 and, later, the G2. So after buying the obligatory 3-filter Hoya macro set (+1, +2, +4), I discovered those were a little limiting and bought two Hoya 2-element +10 macro filters and two B+W +5 macro filters.

Later on, I moved on to the Canon Pro 1 and G9, with their 58mm requirements, so all my 49mm filters have been sitting on the shelf ever since. When I got the DP2, I bought a 46-49mm step ring at the same time so I could try these filters and they work beautifully.

This shot was taken with +13 diopters (two 10s and a 3). I finally found a reason to have the original 3-filter set: it allows you to fine-tune the focusing so you can fill the frame with whatever you’re shooting.

In another experiment, I stacked two 10s and a 5 for a total of 1.125 inches worth of glass and I still get no vignetting. Add to that fact that I have 49mm polarizers and neutral density filters and it’s like getting a custom filter kit free with my new camera.

I mention all this just to say that there are other solutions to Sigma’s AMD-1, especially if you’d like to get closer.

One proviso here… the filters work the same way on the DP2 that they do on my G1 and G2: you must be very close to the subject, which can mean blocking your light source if you’re too close, or getting stung if you’re photographing wasps. On the Pro 1 and the G9, I use the Canon 500D and 250D Macro Lenses which allow you about 15 inches of distance between the lens and your subject.

Don

P.S. The second hand jumps five times every second, so in 0.6 seconds, you can expect three jumps... which appear in the photo. It's more obvious in the large version.

And one more thing I've noticed about DP2 images... you can bump the image up 2, 3, 4, even 5 times magnification in Photoshop to check out some tiny detail and the image still looks quite good, unlike the rapid pixelation I'm used to with my other cameras.

Don Ellis

Odd that the "Edit" button doesn't appear on my original post. Anyway, I said..
"This shot was taken with +13 diopters (two 10s and a 3)."

I should have said:
"This shot was taken with +13 diopters (a 10 and a 3)."

I often start with two 10s and a 5 and work backwards from there, so my mind was on that.

Don

fordfanjpn

Great shot Don. It looks like you're having fun with that camera in spite of the problem with it locking up. You've almost inspired me to get out my $12 Casio watch and try a macro shot of it. :rolleyes:

Bill

Don Ellis

Great shot Don. It looks like you're having fun with that camera in spite of the problem with it locking up. You've almost inspired me to get out my $12 Casio watch and try a macro shot of it. :rolleyes:
Bill
Thanks, Bill... it was a good reminder to polish the crystal. I've used Brasso on it for years (which works beautifully since it isn't some sort of sapphire product), but when I returned to Hong Kong in 1985, I took it to a good jeweller's and asked him to polish it for me. I stood there and watched as he reached under the counter and pulled out a white cloth and a can of Brasso. I guess there is no better way.

No need for anyone to get Rolex envy here... I bought it in Hong Kong on R&R in 1967 for HK$507. I don't know what that translates to in today's dollars, but I wouldn't think it's the big numbers I see on price tags now. So I focus on not losing it. :p

"... almost inspired"? Let's see that Casio.

Don

P.S. Looking at my second post, I've come to the conclusion that there's a time limit on the Edit function.

fordfanjpn

Thanks, Bill... it was a good reminder to polish the crystal. I've used Brasso on it for years (which works beautifully since it isn't some sort of sapphire product), but when I returned to Hong Kong in 1985, I took it to a good jeweller's and asked him to polish it for me. I stood there and watched as he reached under the counter and pulled out a white cloth and a can of Brasso. I guess there is no better way.

No need for anyone to get Rolex envy here... I bought it in Hong Kong on R&R in 1967 for HK$507. I don't know what that translates to in today's dollars, but I wouldn't think it's the big numbers I see on price tags now. So I focus on not losing it. :p

"... almost inspired"? Let's see that Casio.

Don

P.S. Looking at my second post, I've come to the conclusion that there's a time limit on the Edit function.
Don,

I don't wear a watch, so fortunately I don't have Rolex envy. I suppose I could post pictures of some of my guitars, but I don't know what that would go over. I'll if I can find that Casio.

You're right, there is a time limit on the edit function.

Bill