The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First DP2 Shot -- Redux

Don Ellis

Bought my first DP2 on Monday, 11 May. After having it freeze every 20 or so shots, I returned it today, 19 May, for a new one, thanks to Photo Scientific.

And this is my first outdoor shot... (I took the traditional indoor shot of Mr. Poon, but you've already seen him).

The Mating Dance of the Gucci Glasses is a huge billboard with a cylindrical section on the Entertainment Building in Lan Kwai Fong, the premiere party district of Hong Kong.

You can click on the image for a full-size JPG, converted from the 16-bit TIF which was converted from the RAW. Ok, a nearly full-size image... I did just the tiniest of perspective croppings and lost 0.07% in the process.

Sigma DP2, ISO100, 1/100 sec., f/4.0

One other complaint I had about the original DP2 was that in the last two days the half-depress of the shutter button was getting sticky, despite being nowhere near my morning orange juice, so I was happy enough to trade it in.

And back in the office, I noticed that the Sigma Lens Hood/Filter Adapter is MUCH tighter on the new camera. I don’t know how that could be, considering the manufacturing process, but it’s definitely tighter – enough so that I initially worried about forcing it (No, I didn't cross-thread it). Now that I’m used to the difference, I like the greater friction.

And that’s it for the moment, except for the usual concern of whether the Foveon chip will allow me to enlarge to this size.

Don

fordfanjpn

Don, congrats on getting a new camera so quickly. Kudos to Mr. Poon. I hope this one works out better for you.

Bill

Don Ellis

Don, congrats on getting a new camera so quickly. Kudos to Mr. Poon. I hope this one works out better for you.
Bill
Thanks, Bill... everything's fine at the moment (although it's night now, so I'm not taking a lot of photos). And you're right about Mr. Poon -- he's been great. I imagine that many shops would tell you to take it up with Sigma.

I meant to mention in my original post that I didn't sharpen the full-size image so that people could see what it looked like untouched.

I'm very impressed with this camera and I'm learning to zoom with my feet, which is an interesting exercise. What makes the DP2 more amazing to me is its tiny size... it's a marvellous stealth camera. People on the street think you're just one more fool with a toy camera so they don't shy away as much. I love it.

Don