Site Sponsors

Thread: Some GRD shots...

Some GRD shots...

Hi everyone!

Back in November last year - I can't actually believe it was that long ago! - I finally stopped lurking around these forums and signed up to ask a few questions about the Ricoh GRD/IIs and got some great advice which steered me nicely towards a then-brand-new GRD which fate had placed on eBay for me!

However, looking at some photos of the Lake District in one of the G1 threads reminded me that I hadn't shared any of the shots that came from last year's purchase so I thought it was time to rectify that, sort of re-introduce myself and also say thanks again for all the advice as I love shooting B&W with my GRD!

Anyway, here goes...

Ashness Bridge (An almost obligatory photo op when you go to the Lake District!)

Coniston Water I

A (much) bigger version here...

Coniston Water II

A (much) bigger version here...

A "Frightening" E.E. Lightning, RAF Cosford:

A Boeing 747 engine, RAF Cosford:

I have to say I'm not usually a fan of stitching panoramas together, but I wanted to try to grasp the bleakness and the scale of Coniston Water, which was the site of Donald Campbell's fateful water speed record. Perhaps I should've used it as an excuse to buy the 21mm converter instead!?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some GRD shots...

Hi Dawson,

A nice series. The Ashness bridge shot is particularly nice in my opinion.

Very nice pictures, the GRD I in b&w is really fantastic, very detailed and crisp.

Thanks guys, glad you like!

I do like the Ashness Bridge shot myself, although if you Google image search Ashness Bridge you will probably get hundreds of almost identical shots to that! A bit of a no brainer in some respects but as I said, you have to photograph it at some point during your travels in the Lakes!

I think it was you Vladimir who told me how good GRDIs are for their monochrome JPEGS out of the camera... I think I used RAW+JPEG for the panoramas but so good were the JPEGs (helped by an overcast, low contrast day) that I don't think I ever touched the RAW files in the end!