The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Three items on today’s ToDo list

Don Ellis

I haven’t seen this gentleman for weeks, but maybe he heard I had a new camera. I just came out of the underground and there he was. I composed my first shot slowly, so he would have time to shoo me away, but he didn’t. So I took it and waved a thank-you. Then he pointed to his sign in case I’d missed it.

I started to walk away when I realized that I had the camera set to ISO1600… so back again. Took this shot and got a little closer to him this time. I’m getting used to the fact that I have to be closer than I would normally like to be… but the small camera helps lessen the intimidation factor for the subject.

Two notes: I have to give this man credit for being able to hold his arm aloft so long. And the Chinese character in the upper left of the frame means "heart," or in this case "centre," referrring to the building. But I like heart here.

Click for a full-size image, unsharpened.

Don

P.S. Already I'm forgetting to mention that this is a DP2. :p

fordfanjpn

I haven’t seen this gentleman for weeks, but maybe he heard I had a new camera. I just came out of the underground and there he was. I composed my first shot slowly, so he would have time to shoo me away, but he didn’t. So I took it and waved a thank-you. Then he pointed to his sign in case I’d missed it.

I started to walk away when I realized that I had the camera set to ISO1600… so back again. Took this shot and got a little closer to him this time. I’m getting used to the fact that I have to be closer than I would normally like to be… but the small camera helps lessen the intimidation factor for the subject.

Two notes: I have to give this man credit for being able to hold his arm aloft so long. And the Chinese character in the upper left of the frame means "heart," or in this case "centre," referrring to the building. But I like heart here.

Click for a full-size image, unsharpened.

Don

P.S. Already I'm forgetting to mention that this is a DP2. :p
Don, you have more nerve than I do. I'd probably shoot that from the hip. And it probably wouldn't turn out good. But since the guy is trying to get his message across, he probably doesn't mind having his picture taken.

Interesting to see the Tsubaki ad next to him. That stuff is everywhere here. Even in my apartment!

Bill

PS: I forgot to mention, nice shot!

Don Ellis

Don, you have more nerve than I do. I'd probably shoot that from the hip. And it probably wouldn't turn out good. But since the guy is trying to get his message across, he probably doesn't mind having his picture taken.
That's exactly what I thought... I figured he wouldn't mind my helping him spread the word. :)

Interesting to see the Tsubaki ad next to him. That stuff is everywhere here. Even in my apartment!
Yes, I thought of you when I shot it... now I just need to know if it's any good (although its being in your apartment should be a clue).

PS: I forgot to mention, nice shot!
Thank you... one of the happy coincidences of this camera and my computer is that my computer's resolution is 1920 pixels wide, so the 1760 pixels of portrait images fits totally on-screen and I just scroll up and down to see it all. I am really enjoying the full-size shots and am almost reluctant to reduce them.

A side benefit to the DP2 is that I'm becoming interested in printing photos... I have taken several hundred thousand photos in the last eight digital years and have printed fewer than ten. That may change now.