The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hong Kong fashion...

Don Ellis

Looks like an extra from Blade Runner!
One of my favourite movies... I've got the original, the Director's Cut, and I suppose I'll buy the Final Cut when it comes out.

Great image. What was it taken with?[/QUOTE]

Thank you... I took it with that camera mentioned right under the photo. :p

Despite the forecast for nothing but rain, I looked out the window at lunchtime, saw that it wasn't raining, and walked out without an umbrella. Half an hour later, I found myself sheltering under a pedestrian over-ramp, with cars splashing me from one side, water pluming off the stairs above me, and this lady sweeping it towards me. So I took her photo to get something out of the experience besides wet.

She's wearing a trash bag, by the way, but she's wearing it well.

Don

hilld

One of my favourite movies... I've got the original, the Director's Cut, and I suppose I'll buy the Final Cut when it comes out.

Great image. What was it taken with?

I chuckled at your reply (above) to Will's question. It saved my rudely replying (emboldened by the suspicion that I'm older than the two of you put together):" With a DP2 --- y' daft bugger!!"

In the same spirit, I want to ask you this, I know about the Blade Runner (sounds a bit modern for me, mind you) but what are "The Director's Cut" and "Final Cut" all about?

Don Ellis

I chuckled at your reply (above) to Will's question. It saved my rudely replying (emboldened by the suspicion that I'm older than the two of you put together):" With a DP2 --- y' daft bugger!!"

In the same spirit, I want to ask you this, I know about the Blade Runner (sounds a bit modern for me, mind you) but what are "The Director's Cut" and "Final Cut" all about?
Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner was originally released in 1982.

The Director's Cut -- most notably without Harrison Ford’s voice-over throughout, and without the upbeat “She’ll live forever; we didn’t put in the kill chip” ending (as well as the ambiguity of whether or not Decker was, himself, and possibly unknowingly, an android) -- was released in 1992.

And the definitive, digitally remastered, 25th anniversary Final Cut was released in 2007… which I will have to buy just to see what’s different.

In case you’re not aware, the movie was based on Philip K. Dick’s book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and while I’m not a big Dick fan, as it were, I’ve read the book twice and enjoyed it and recommend it. The people I’ve lent it to have it enjoyed it, as well.

As for snarky replies, I don’t think we’re allowed to do that until we reach 75 posts. :p

Cheers,
Don

hilld

Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner was originally released in 1982.

The Director's Cut -- most notably without Harrison Ford’s voice-over throughout, and without the upbeat “She’ll live forever; we didn’t put in the kill chip” ending (as well as the ambiguity of whether or not Decker was, himself, and possibly unknowingly, an android) -- was released in 1992.

And the definitive, digitally remastered, 25th anniversary Final Cut was released in 2007… which I will have to buy just to see what’s different.

In case you’re not aware, the movie was based on Philip K. Dick’s book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and while I’m not a big Dick fan, as it were, I’ve read the book twice and enjoyed it and recommend it. The people I’ve lent it to have it enjoyed it, as well.

As for snarky replies, I don’t think we’re allowed to do that until we reach 75 posts. :p

Cheers,
Don
Many thanks for the most useful elucidations. Coincidentally, my significant other -- with a kindly and, I think, wistful, smile -- says that she's not a "big Dick fan" either.

As for " ...As for snarky replies", I must confess I don't exactly know what they are. But I shall be working hard to get my post count up to the magical 75 mark soon as possible so as to be able to get one it -- legitimately, I mean -- should the occasion warrant one. Most likely, given my post rate so far, I shall reach the 75 years threshold first, and perhaps can prevail upon the GetDPI powers-that-be to grant me special dispensation to try one out nonetheless.

Best wishes. (Oh, and while I'm on, very nice pix, from what I take to be a very good camera. I already have the DP1 and on flying visit to my native heath next month I fully intend to pick up the DP2.)

Lili

Don, wonderful image!
Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time.
I have the Final Cut.
It is different in subtle and not so subtle ways.
Dang
Now I gotta watch it again
:)

R

Richard Franiec

Nice catch, Don

I guess, wearing the mask by the lady is rather habitual as there is no possibility of dust or fumes... Unless she don't like smell of the neighbourhood at lunchtime LOL.

I can see you are excited about DP2 as much or more as any other cameras you use, with the images to prove it's worth.

Cheers

Richard

Will

Thanks for putting me in my place guys. Wouldn't want to be let off the hook for not noticing something ;)

And I still like the image.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A few years ago there was an umbrella hat for sale at Shinagawa Station at the store just outside the exit leading to the Takanawa Prince Hotel.
-bob

Don Ellis

Many thanks for the most useful elucidations. Coincidentally, my significant other -- with a kindly and, I think, wistful, smile -- says that she's not a "big Dick fan" either.

As for " ...As for snarky replies", I must confess I don't exactly know what they are. But I shall be working hard to get my post count up to the magical 75 mark soon as possible so as to be able to get one it -- legitimately, I mean -- should the occasion warrant one. Most likely, given my post rate so far, I shall reach the 75 years threshold first, and perhaps can prevail upon the GetDPI powers-that-be to grant me special dispensation to try one out nonetheless.

Best wishes. (Oh, and while I'm on, very nice pix, from what I take to be a very good camera. I already have the DP1 and on flying visit to my native heath next month I fully intend to pick up the DP2.)
Interestingly, I thought that "snarky" was more British than American, but when I checked it out I found it was "North American informal" for "extremely critical."

Which gives me the opportunity to recommend www.onelook.com... excellent dictionary compilation page that offers a lot more, as well.

If you don't reach 75 messages, then you'll just have to be nice... which has the advantage of helping you blend in with everyone else I've met here.

I do, indeed, like the DP2 and turn a deaf ear to the nitpickers. It is easy to be a critic and I can be most critical of all, but I don't find any real faults to the camera, especially considering the benefits that I'm enjoying: DOF control, higher ISOs, and the exercise -- both physical and mental -- that comes with a fixed lens.

Don

Don Ellis

Don, wonderful image!
Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time.
I have the Final Cut.
It is different in subtle and not so subtle ways.
Dang
Now I gotta watch it again
:)
Hi Lili... thanks for letting me know that it's different enough to go buy and watch again. I've got a new habit -- ripping DVDs to my iPhone so I have something to listen to other than the guy next to me on the mobile phone. It's not the panorama of an actual movie screen, mind you, but not bad in terms of resolution and entertainment value.

Don

Don Ellis

Nice catch, Don

I guess, wearing the mask by the lady is rather habitual as there is no possibility of dust or fumes... Unless she don't like smell of the neighbourhood at lunchtime LOL.

I can see you are excited about DP2 as much or more as any other cameras you use, with the images to prove it's worth.

Cheers
Richard
Richard... nice to hear from you, especially here. One of the side benefits of SARS in 2003, when 99% of the population was wearing a mask, is that people got used to them. So now when they have a cold or cough or flu and still come to work, they cover up. And there's a lot more hand-washing going on these days. Because of swine flu, there's a man who stands at the entrance to our building with a mask, latex gloves and a bottle of hand disinfectant. You don't have to agree, of course, but he offers a squirt to everyone who enters.

I got home after this shot to find your DP2 grip on the dining table... what a nice surprise. I applied it immediately and let it set overnight, so now I have a better grip on things. :p

I am enjoying getting to know the DP2. If there's any problem, it's that I quickly forget how to use the G9... really. The other day it took me a minute to figure out how to review photos. Hmmm...

Take care,
Don

Don Ellis

Nice capture Don. They're predicting 3 days of rain for Tokyo starting today. I can get a trash bag with no problem, but where can I get one of those umbrella hats? :confused:

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I'll look around for you... obviously, they're on sale somewhere here. :)

The last time I saw them for sale was at a tennis industry exhibition in Florida years ago... just had to have one. But I think it's gone missing, along with the bell-bottoms.

Don

Diane B

I like this one. I don't think you should tell everyone that you got stuck there in the rain and took this 'just because' LOL--say you 'planned' it--background, etc. . It has a graphic look to it--the grid behind her, the patterned sidewalk--and she's mostly in black-and sort of outrageous at that.

Diane

Don Ellis

I like this one. I don't think you should tell everyone that you got stuck there in the rain and took this 'just because' LOL--say you 'planned' it--background, etc. . It has a graphic look to it--the grid behind her, the patterned sidewalk--and she's mostly in black-and sort of outrageous at that.
Diane
Diane, what a nice surprise... even if you're telling me what Leela always does: Don't reveal so much! What can I say... I'm just a simple country boy who ended up in the big city. :cool:

The shot was planned in the sense that I was stuck there and had nothing else to do so I started taking photos of umbrella-wielders walking by... and non-umbrella people sprinting (to no avail).

But there was nothing I liked until she came along... umbrella hat, trash-bag fashion, slaughterhouse rubber gloves and Crocs. That was one waterproof girl.

Because of the tiles, I wanted to shoot her straight against them so I'd have some nice lines, but that wasn't happening, so I took what I could get.

And, in the simple country style of full disclosure, here's where I was standing (I told you I was bored)...