The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Review

Audii-Dudii

The one thing I would imagine that is better with the dedicated Sigma is that the frame lines will correlate with the actual composition--whereas my Voigtlander's framelines were for 3:2 and the G9 is a 4:3 format so I had to take that into consideration as well as parallax error when composing.
FYI, Ricoh makes finders with 21/28mm framelines in the 4:3 format.

Diane B

Thanks, Audii-Dudii--but the G9 is 35mm (35-210mm). I really like the Voigtlander--beautifully big and bright--and I just adjusted my thinking to using the top frame line for composition and getting used to where it ended below the bottom frame line--worked pretty well. The issue, again, was that the G9 isn't a fixed FL so it really inhibited the use unless you chose to make it fixed. I also found with a WA converter that I could use the full view outside the frame lines and compose pretty well.

Diane

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
From the other Don,
The VF21 is a good finder. Bright, contrasty and small.
The framelines are easy to see in any light.
The accuracy is, it sees somewhat more on the sides than the
top to bottom. Very easy to adjust your vision.
The parallax is mor accurate than any of my
Leica finders.
I could never use the camera without it.
Shooter

fordfanjpn

Diane and Bill,

I got everything today:

Markins P26U Universal Quick-Release Plate -- it may not be an L-bracket, but it's as great as it gets at the moment. Very small, adjustable enough that you can fix it so that the battery door opens without having to remove it (while still remaining centered on the lens barrel), and the logo is small and now hidden underneath to the side.

Sigma VF-21: It's a jewel... very tiny and quite beautiful and the frame lines are very bright and quite accurate at first glance (and why wouldn't they be; it was designed for the camera). As I said, I'll do some testing over the weekend.

Extra Battery: bringing my total to four. I had planned on having five but after paying for everything else, and realizing that the VF-21 may cause me to turn off the LCD occasionally, I settled for four for the moment (the batteries really do run down quickly).

46mm Hoya UV Filter: I had been testing an old 49mm from my Canon G1/G2 with a step-up ring and like it... so I bought the right size, plus two lens caps.

Vikuiti ARMR200 Screen Protector from 3M: Went on well, even with me doing the affixing, and is a matte finish. Looks good and feels good.

Lens Hood and Adapter: I didn't need the extra lens hood, but I did want the adapter to screw onto my macro filter so I can just bayonet it on, rather than having to remove my 46mm UV filter and screw on the 46-49mm step-up ring plus macro filter.

All of the this caused me to break out the table-top tripod and the monopod this evening just for the pleasure of snapping my new Markins plate to my old Markins ballhead (on the tripod) and Markins QR clamp (on the monopod). Very nice... I was getting tired of screwing the camera on and off a normal ballhead.

And that's it for the moment, except to say good night. Testing of everything in the next few days. Sorry for the wait. Weather is still grim, by the way.

Don
Don,

It sounds like you made a salesman somewhere very happy. And you seem to be having a good time with that new camera too.

I'm afraid you have now got me interested in the VF-21. I've been using a Voigtlander 40mm finder, and it works quite well, but it is really big. It's easy to see through, and gets the job done, but I would like something that doesn't stand out so much from the camera. If I make it out of the house this weekend, I'll go take a look at it. And I'll thank you in advance for making me spend even more money in the camera store! :(

As good as the DP2 is, it does seem to move up to an even higher level when used on a tripod. I rarely use a tripod myself, even though I probably need one more than most people, but I did just buy a new Benro A-350EX tripod and I have a Manfotto head on it (I forgot the model number - have to look that up). I really got it to use with the Hasselblad, but so far it has been sitting here with the G1 on it, and neither of them are getting any use. One of these days though!

I will be looking forward to hearing more about the VF-21. Hopefully you'll hate it and I won't have to go out and get one. Or you can send me yours to save room in your bag. ;)

Bill

fordfanjpn

From the other Don,
The VF21 is a good finder. Bright, contrasty and small.
The framelines are easy to see in any light.
The accuracy is, it sees somewhat more on the sides than the
top to bottom. Very easy to adjust your vision.
The parallax is mor accurate than any of my
Leica finders.
I could never use the camera without it.
Shooter
You guys are really not helping here! One more glowing comment and I'm not going to have any choice but to go out and buy that darn finder! Good thing it's raining today, or I'd probably be heading out the door right now (oh wait, it's only 6 AM, OK as soon as the stores open). Oh well, I do need to buy myself a BD present, as if two new cameras wasn't enough. :rolleyes:

Bill

Lili

Mike Johnston has written a follow-up post to Ken Tanaka's DP2 review that cuts straight to the core of all the controversy about the camera:
So which would you rather have: a beautifully built, ergonomically perfect camera that gives you so-so image quality at best, or a hunk of antediluvian junk held together with baling wire and chewing gum that yields image quality that's really outstanding? Given that choice—putting it that way—in my view it's not even a question; the conclusion's foregone.

The DP2 seems to do some things wrong, but the really important things right. As I read more and more about it, and see more results from it, the more the feeling sneaks up on me that I could do good things with it.
His entire post provides a truly effective counter-argument to the kind of pointless negativity that we've seen in this thread.
Bravo! The images I am seeing from this 'beast' are awesome.
Enough so that I am very much tempted

Don Ellis

Don,

It sounds like you made a salesman somewhere very happy. And you seem to be having a good time with that new camera too.
That would be the Poonster with the big smile (and I don’t know why adding “-ster” to names makes them so amusing).

So goes another US$250 on this little camera, bringing the total to US$1150. And I don’t mind… especially since I don’t have to buy a ballhead, tripod, tabletop tripod, monopod, and half a dozen macro filters for it. Oh, and Richard sent me a prototype remote cable release and I have the coolest cable release on the planet, so I’m set for that, as well. I may actually be done buying for this camera… is that possible?

I'm afraid you have now got me interested in the VF-21. And I'll thank you in advance for making me spend even more money in the camera store!
So says the man whose photos helped start my ball rolling.

As good as the DP2 is, it does seem to move up to an even higher level when used on a tripod.
I think so (although I haven’t done much with it yet). Of course, that’s probably true of any camera, but the contemplative nature of DP2 shots makes it an even more likely candidate. I must say, though, that “contemplate” can too often be used as a synonym for “slow” – and when the camera is set up right, that’s not true. So I’m more inclined to link “contemplative” with “color depth” and “image results” than speed of the camera.

I did do a thread on my small tabletop tripod on DPreview in November 2007 which still holds true. The next-to-the-last photo is probably the most useful way to use it (against a wall or tree or stable friend):
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=25624258&changemode=1

I will be looking forward to hearing more about the VF-21. Hopefully you'll hate it and I won't have to go out and get one. Or you can send me yours to save room in your bag.
Now you just know that’s the first thing I thought of… it might even make up for making you buy Richard’s grip. You do have it installed now, right?

Don

Tim

Thanks for the banter here on the DP2. :talk028: I will be ordering one and so will a photog buddy as soon as we can get one. The tips on the Sigma viewfinder are worth knowing as I struggle even now with the LCD on my GRD II outside.

I'd be interested to hear what carrying and case solutions you DP2/DP1 owners use?

Thanks

fordfanjpn

Now you just know that’s the first thing I thought of… it might even make up for making you buy Richard’s grip. You do have it installed now, right?
The grip delivery has been delayed by one day, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. However, thanks to a break in the rain, and your "inspiration," I am now the proud owner of a VF-21 finder. And everyone who recommended it is right, it really is a fantastic little finder. I will now retire the Voigtlander and enjoy using the DP2 with it's very own finder.

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I use a Tamrac Velocity 4. It holds both DP cameras with finders attached, 6 batteries, cards, iPhone..and lots more...very small and it's a sling bag......

fordfanjpn

You're probably going to find a variety of answers to that one. I have a case by Artisan&Artist that I quite like on both the DP1 and DP2 (and I also have the one they make for the LX3), but it does require removing the case every time you want to access the battery or memory card. The case makes the camera feel a bit bigger and it provides some extra grip for your right hand.

However, after being shamelessly tempted by other members of this forum, I ordered Richard Franiec's grip for the DP2, and it has just now arrived. As soon as I work up the nerve, I'll install it (it attaches with double-sided tape, so it would be nice to get it on right the first try). With the grip on the camera, the case will no longer fit, and in any case won't be needed, so I'm hoping I will love it.

As for carrying, I simply use the neck strap that came with the camera and wear it around my neck. I tend to shoot a lot from the waist (or pot belly in my case), and with the camera hanging there it's very convenient to shoot that way. It's also easy to bring the camera up to either use the LCD or the finder, so for me it's the easiest way to shoot. I know that some people prefer a wrist strap and tend to carry the camera in their hand all the time. In some ways I can see an advantage to that approach because it means the camera is always in your hand and ready to shoot. So right now I'm toying with the idea of giving that a try. I assume there are other carrying methods that people use, and I would also be interested to hear particularly from people who do street photography as to how they "wear" their cameras when out shooting.

Bill