The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

club gig

nostatic

Taken last night at "Life on Wilshire", a pretty cool restaurant/bar here in LA. I was doing my first gig with a great guitarist/singer (http://myspace.com/grimorchestra) on bass. A pic from the jazz vocalist quintet that played before us. I shot this with the "party" preset on the dl3. Yeah, I know...but I figured I'd experiment. It also was a jpg which explains the water colors when I boosted the contrast.

I don't seem to be able to get the grain/grit that I see on a lot of the photos here. I'm assuming that jpg is smoothing that out and that it tends to come at higher iso numbers (in fact this shot was iso200 at 2 sec exposure). What is a typical set of tweaks to get the grain? My assumption has been: shoot raw, high iso, monochrome mixer (new in aperture 2 - used to just drop color saturation), boost contrast, dial back shadows (using aperture), and mess with exposure and enhance sliders (that is how aperture 2 is now configured).

Maggie O

I shoot RAW with my D-Lux 3 and use either iPhoto or LightZone to process the files. ISO 400 and 800 will give you a good grainy look without smearing.