The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 raw vs jpeg

fordfanjpn

The full size files are too big to upload, so I'm going to post some 100% crops here. If anyone is interested, I could email the original files. I don't know how much more I can upload here before I reach my limit, but I'll give it a try.

Bill

fordfanjpn

Sorry these aren't more interesting shots, but I just had a few minutes to run out at lunchtime and grab a few shots, and then run the raw files through SPP, crop all the jpegs and upload them here. I hope this will be interesting for somebody, and I hope that Don will come up with some better comparison shots.

Bill

Don Ellis

Sorry these aren't more interesting shots, but I just had a few minutes to run out at lunchtime and grab a few shots, and then run the raw files through SPP, crop all the jpegs and upload them here. I hope this will be interesting for somebody, and I hope that Don will come up with some better comparison shots.
Bill
I was fine with this entire message until I came to the last line. :eek:

I haven't done anything... after a nice breakfast, I was starving for lunch, so that's what I did... had lunch for a change, knowing "our" camera was in good hands. :p

Thanks for those... a question, though. You obviously need to run the RAW photos through SSP... do you just leave them on Auto?

And you might want to remind people that the RAW shots are first and the JPGs second, although your subject line does that. (Oh, nevermind, I've done it for you.) :p

Don

fordfanjpn

I was fine with this entire message until I came to the last line. :eek:

I haven't done anything... after a nice breakfast, I was starving for lunch, so that's what I did... had lunch for a change, knowing "our" camera was in good hands. :p

Thanks for those... a question, though. You obviously need to run the RAW photos through SSP... do you just leave them on Auto?

And you might want to remind people that the RAW shots are first and the JPGs second, although your subject line does that. (Oh, nevermind, I've done it for you.) :p

Don
I must confess that while the conversions were "basically" done in Auto mode, I did tweak the white balance. Force of habit I guess. And as you mentioned, the raw shots are first followed by the corresponding in-camera jpeg. How was lunch?

Bill

Don Ellis

I must confess that while the conversions were "basically" done in Auto mode, I did tweak the white balance. Force of habit I guess. And as you mentioned, the raw shots are first followed by the corresponding in-camera jpeg. How was lunch?

Bill
Dare I admit that lunch was a large liverwurst sandwich, two Claussen dill pickles, Louisiana Crayfish Tails in chili sauce, with a dessert of Extremely Chocolatey Carmels courtesy of Marks & Spencer (don't even start on a bag of those). I'm almost abashed... but full.

And I did take two photos on my lunch run... I'll put them in another thread since they were RAW with no JPG comparisons.

Don

fordfanjpn

Dare I admit that lunch was a large liverwurst sandwich, two Claussen dill pickles, Louisiana Crayfish Tails in chili sauce, with a dessert of Extremely Chocolatey Carmels courtesy of Marks & Spencer (don't even start on a bag of those). I'm almost abashed... but full.

And I did take two photos on my lunch run... I'll put them in another thread since they were RAW with no JPG comparisons.

Don
I had frozen spaghetti from the convenience store, heated up in a microwave. Something doesn't seem right here! :confused:

Bill

fordfanjpn

Uh, that's only one step up from canned spaghetti. Is it some sort of training programme you're on?

Don
Yes, I'm training to be homeless, in case the economy gets any worse!

Actually, it's pretty much par for the course. I'm just too busy at work to have much time for lunch, so it's something cheap and easy from the convenience store, which for me is a lot better than the "bento" lunches they sell out in the street. It probably doesn't help that I don't eat Japanese food. Go ahead, ask me what I'm doing living in Japan!

Bill