The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh no! Panasonic LX3...

B

Beto

As everybody knows, the Panasonic LX3 has been in short supply. The few units available have been selling at list or more than that.

I have been checking availability daily for the past two months (it seems). I asked B&H to notify me as soon as they came in. No notification ever came. On April 22 I placed an order at J&R even though the camera was back-ordered. Periodically, J&R would try to entice me to order a different camera.

Two days ago, I saw that B&H had the black one. I ordered it! Within an hour or two B&H had run out of their supply, according to the website 1001 Noisy Cameras. I waited one day for shipping confirmation, then sent a message to J&R to cancel my back-ordered LX3.

Too late! Today I received a message from J&R saying my order had shipped. Plus, they apparently honored the April 22 price of $430.

What to do? I suppose refuse delivery of the B&H order, which cost $460...

O

Oxide Blu

Yes, refuse the pkg when it arrives -- return shipping is free on a refused pkg, but you will need to pony up for the initial cost of shipping from B&H to you. I guess B&H will refund the cost of the product to your credit card, not the cost of initial shipping. If you accept the pkg, you will need to pay return shipping as well as the initial shipping.

Refuse the package.

smokysun

bill,
i've been trying to find your shot of the closed old coffeehouse surrounded by modern buildings. i think it worth an in-depth shoot, essay, with views from different angles, details, and some historical material. just a thought. maybe i feel like that decaying piece of architecture. (reminds me of willy loman's house in death of a salesman.)
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

beamon

At the risk of exposing my credentials as a certified Old Phart steeped in the ways of the dark ages, lemee say the following...

Having had a myriad of interests in my considerable years, it's doubtful that anyone has had the 'hots' for more stuff than I. Consider, however, the plight of the vendor (yeah, I know that's not often done these days of I, I, I, and me, me, me, but consider it anyway).

The vendor accepts your order in good conscience, not knowing that multiple orders may have been placed. If vendor A is selected to have his item returned for credit, he's out time and money. Even if he charges your CC for frieght, both ways, he's out time, effort, paper costs and that's assuming that the item wasn't opened and played with. In order to compete, nowadays, many vendors have a generous return policy. That policy costs money, though, and WE pay for it.

Though Milton Friedman didn't coin the term, he was fond of pointing out that TANSTAAFL (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch). These costs ARE factored into the vendors' pricing. Less of this kind of activity would untimately would lead to lower prices.

So, try getting a clean cancel of one order before placing another. The extra couple of days, weeks, or even months will likely not be critical in your life.

Ok, I'm done :lecture:. Shields up!

Will

I had been thinking the same Roger, though I think the vendors would rather send a few out and get some back than make no sales at all.

beamon

I had been thinking the same Roger, though I think the vendors would rather send a few out and get some back than make no sales at all.
Righto, Will! A base must be there upon which to build. They'll always get some back, and properly so, what with the ootb failures and glitches in QC etc.