The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IR converted LX 3

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
MaxMax did this one. I also got a Nikon flash that is converted to IR from them. Weegee has a small and interesting body of work with an IR flash - google Weegee IR and you'll find images. I'll be experimenting with this over the next few months.

On the LX 3 autofocus and exposure are reasonably accurate. Very minor hotspot (the center is slightly more blue than the rest of the image).

s.agar

Hello Wayne,

Since focusing of IR happens at a different lens position than visible light, how do you focus the camera?

I have seen a few Nikon converted DSLR's in ebay. But was hesitant to buy one, because of the focus shift.

Or should I buy a P+S camera with more DOF?

I will appreciate user comments.

Best regards,

Seyhun

check ebay under 'infrared digital cameras' often some good deals.

three companies in the us do conversions: lifepixel, maxmax, and precision camera.

i recommend precision camera for the best prices: http://www.precisioncamera.com/infrared-conversion-services.html
excellent service.

perhaps there is someplace in turkey for getting conversions?

best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

smokysun

any of the professional services (lifepixel, maxmax, precision camera) will have adjusted for focus. i think most of those doing it cheaper on ebay cameras do too (you can find a lot of them). it's always nice to have raw. but you might want to go with a p&s to see if you like the results. i've a g6 i like very much. you can always write the seller and ask if the focus adjusted (yes, it needs to be).

check out ebay first. that would be my advice. fred miranda also has them come up:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

you will have a lot more options with a dslr. see if you can find one cheap. people tend to play with ir for awhile and then get tired of it!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

RichA

Hello Wayne,

Since focusing of IR happens at a different lens position than visible light, how do you focus the camera?

I have seen a few Nikon converted DSLR's in ebay. But was hesitant to buy one, because of the focus shift.

Or should I buy a P+S camera with more DOF?

I will appreciate user comments.

Best regards,

Seyhun
That's the theory, anyway but when I tested a manual focus 24mm f2.8 on a converted Nikon, focus was normal. Putting it at the IR mark inexplicably resulted in focus being off.

Lisa

Regarding focus for IR, the adjustments aren't perfect for all lenses at all focal lengths, so it's also wise to use a smaller aperture than you otherwise would, to get better depth of field and hence more leeway in focus. While I'd use f/8 for color shots (with a DSLR), I try to use f/11 or so for IR when possible.

Lisa

Don Libby

I'll be sending my 1DsII to Precision Camera just as soon as I return from Monument Valley next week. I had orginally thought of going with MaxMax however Precision offered a better filter (for me) and the request your primary shooting lens be sent along with the body so that the focus can be adjusted. The lens according to Precision isn't modified in anyway just used for the focal test with the camera being adjusted.

Don