The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPhone Photos

Don Ellis

Me, sort of...

Ok, I yield… :D

Taken with the iPhone 4, processed in Plastic Bullet. Shot at dusk from my 22nd-floor office toward the building blocking part of my view – they’ve just taken the bamboo scaffolding down, so this is the first look at the building’s design.

The windows of our building reflect light back toward the strongest source, so during the day they reflect sunlight away from the building, and at night they reflect you like a mirror – but catch them at just the right moment and you get half and half, which is what we have here. Meaning it's not a composite or layered shot.

Huge thanks to Uwe Steinmueller for the Plastic Bullet recommendation.

I’ve been using, and enjoying, Hipstamatic, but there are problems: 1) it’s slow to load, 2) it’s slow to process and you can’t take another shot until it’s done, 3) it only processes the lens and film you’ve pre-chosen, 4) it’s square, which may cut out something you’d like to have, 5) it has a dinky viewing window (which, if you don’t know, you can set to show all the scene in the Settings; by default, it only shows a tiny bit, as though that’s a benefit).

And 6) if you close Hipstamatic when you’re in review mode -- rather than camera mode -- it takes a voodoo ritual to get the program working again. Hint: open the program and close it four times in rapid succession. On the fourth opening, let it just sit there doing nothing – it will crash off the screen within 30 seconds and then you can load it again and it will work.

Plastic Bullet has none of those drawbacks. Just shoot as you normally would with the default camera or other camera of your choice. Process later into your choice of three different sizes when you’re watching TV or sitting on the porch swing. Keep punching the button until you see an effect you like and then save it. Keep saving the same image with different effects that you like. Close the program and go through the ones you’ve saved and pick the one you really like.

Then inflict it on someone as I have here. :)

Cheers,
Don

ustein

Contributing Editor
Re: Me, sort of...

Ok, I yield… :D

I’ve been using, and enjoying, Hipstamatic, but there are problems: 1) it’s slow to load, 2) it’s slow to process and you can’t take another shot until it’s done, 3) it only processes the lens and film you’ve pre-chosen, 4) it’s square, which may cut out something you’d like to have, 5) it has a dinky viewing window (which, if you don’t know, you can set to show all the scene in the Settings; by default, it only shows a tiny bit, as though that’s a benefit).

Don
Like this photo a lot.

All your observation on Hipstamatic are true. Still it has its magic.

Here is our Hipstamatic Gallery:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Results-from-different-Cameras/IP4HipstamaticFun/

Don Ellis

Re: Me, sort of...

Like this photo a lot.

All your observation on Hipstamatic are true. Still it has its magic.

Here is our Hipstamatic Gallery: http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/Results-from-different-Cameras/IP4HipstamaticFun/
Thank you... and far be it from me to disparage a program that I've enjoyed so much, even with its faults. I'll post a few below.

Thanks, too, for your link. They are lovely photos and I see we've taken a similar same approach: picking a film and lens and sticking with it for at least a gallery's worth of photos. One nice thing about the square format is that it's uniform -- even the thumbnails look neat and tidy. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>similar same approach: picking a film and lens and sticking with it for at least a gallery's worth of photos.

Yes. Also the images are unique and the result of the moment.

Will

Despite having Hipstamatic on my phone for some time I haven't got around to using it yet. In the mean time until I do I shall continue to post my un-Hip images :p

ustein

Contributing Editor
Despite having Hipstamatic on my phone for some time I haven't got around to using it yet. In the mean time until I do I shall continue to post my un-Hip images :p

Great shade and colors. Very nice (no hipsta missing).

mathomas

Loving the images in here.

I just got a new iPod Touch and have been having a blast shooting with Hipstamatic, much more so than I expected. I just love the random aspect of it and the hyper-saturated colors. I do the randomized "shake and shoot" thing quite a bit, but do have my favorite combo (John S lens + '69 film) so far.

Here are a few from this weekend. You might find it funny that I shot with two cameras: Hipstamatic, and Fuji 690. Definitely opposite ends of the quality/philosophy spectrum.

As a side note, I've noticed that I really like shooting square. So much so that I'm considering a Hassy 50x (again). Funny how a crappy quality square shooter can still give me GAS.

As another side note, it seems that the iPhone has a much higher-quality camera/lens built in than the iPod Touch. I can easily see the difference in the photos posted here, in even "straight" shots. That's too bad (for me). Oh well, it just makes the lo-fi experience even lo-er.

T

tokengirl

A couple with the 3Gs and Plastic Bullet app:

1. Driving across I-75 in the rain (I was not the one driving)

2. Same stretch of road. Possibly the luckiest shot I've ever taken, managing to get both the front and rear ends of the truck in the photo.

ibcj

Terry, Uwe, and Osman, thank you. Standing in the middle of a five way intersection to get the correct framing and wait for a car to cross the bridge was a bit of a challenge, but I survived. :)

Last edited: