The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPhone Photos

simonclivehughes

Uwe,

Just checked and yeah, they came in at 2056 x 1536 pixels whereas the iPhone 4 is 2592 x 1936 pixels, so they're 80%. I didn't know that. I'll have to go back to using the PhotoTransfer app.

Thanks!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe,

Just checked and yeah, they came in at 2056 x 1536 pixels whereas the iPhone 4 is 2592 x 1936 pixels, so they're 80%. I didn't know that. I'll have to go back to using the PhotoTransfer app.

Thanks!
And with the iPhone 4S you have even more resolution and still get the same lower res.

Godfrey

quacks

Sometimes, you just have to get all your ducks in a row...

;-)

Quick grab shot with iPhone 4S using Mattebox yesterday morning. If I was thinking clearly, I'd have nipped the M9 out of my bag... !

simonclivehughes

Some more from the iPhone 4, all captured using ProCamera.

View attachment 59255
Light Show
PP:
PerfectlyClr > Painteresque > SnapSeed (borders)

View attachment 59256
Cool Couchon
PP:
PerfectlyClr > Painteresque > SnapSeed (borders)

View attachment 59257
The River Runs High
PP:
PerfectlyClr > Painteresque (for a contrasty, edgy look) >
Laminar: (layering: Painteresque on top, opacity 40%) >
SnapSeed:
1. B&W Neutral conversion
2. Tune Image for overall Brightness & Ambiance
3. Selective Adjust multiple control points for dodge/burn
4. Selective Adjust more points (it only allows so many points at one time)
5. Organic Frames for the border

This last one was an attempt to get a reasonable B&W conversion on my iPad(1). I've tried pretty much all the B&W apps and while some have some reasonably good looks, there's just no amount of control, and they simply don't work on all images. I'm used to using Silver Efex Pro (1), and so SnapSeed was a natural, and I do love that it does have the U-point technology. Using this you can do a fairly decent job...

The big issue is that you can't save anything... there's no way to create a preset, or a script of actions that you can then apply again. So, unless you use just the app's stock effects, each multi-step conversion is a one-off which is so time consuming that I just bring the original file into SFP on the iMac.

As much as I like SnapSeed, I think I'm going to go back and give Filterstorm Pro another try. I had a pretty good script for basic B&W, but I found the app's interface tedious to use, especially the input/output functions. I should probably give it a better look.

What are you guys & gals using for B&W that's yielding great results with at least some amount of control?

Cheers,

Last edited:

JimCollum

I will be part of a group show at the R. Blitzer Gallery in Santa Cruz through the month of June. All of the images were taken and processed on the IPhone (prints are 6x6", mounted on 11x14)

Earth

Images are from the USGS machine show in the old Wrigleyl Building on Santa Cruz's West Side.

4 of the 18 images that will be exhibited

Terry

Hi Jim,
That's great news. I will need to a small road rip south and have a look at the show. Do you have a favorite app you are using with presets that helps you get the same look and feel to the photos?

JimCollum

Thanks Godfrey, Terry & Uwe!!

I use Hipstamatic & Snapseed... both allow easy use of presets. (In fact, the IOS version of Snapseed is much better than the Mac version... no way of having any kind of repeatability on the Mac)

JimCollum

i especially like the last one Uwe.

I've been using Hipstamatic since the beginning..... I've always felt if someone came out with a standalone camera with the same features, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Diane B

Oh, I really like these. My partner has an Iphone but I don't but I wish I did LOL. Have an Ipad with data plan so don't want to duplicate so use a "dumb" phone.

These are just lovely, inviting more time looking. I like all of them very much with beautiful toning and processing but really like the last.

Diane

Godfrey

Oh, I really like these. My partner has an Iphone but I don't but I wish I did LOL. Have an Ipad with data plan so don't want to duplicate so use a "dumb" phone.

These are just lovely, inviting more time looking. I like all of them very much with beautiful toning and processing but really like the last.
Yes indeed: some lovely work.

I replaced my Motorola L2 smartphone and iPod touch with an iPhone 4S. It's worth it for the camera alone, never mind the rest of its capabilities and the lack of having to carry two devices. And it is an excellent complement to the iPad ... I like shooting with the iPhone and processing on the iPad. Just connect them with the Camera Connection Kit (or use one of the wifi like Photosync) and slide the images over.

The biggest issue of editing on the iPhone or iPad is obtaining consistent results for a set. Snapseed is good, but it's hard to stay consistent from one photo to the next.

simonclivehughes

>Painteresque

Nice tool.
It's pretty cool, but it seems to work quite well for some images, and not for others, especially full strength. I'm finding a like it a bit more subtle, so I'm layering the Painteresque image over the original image at about 40% which gives a little more control. :D

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I'm finding a like it a bit more subtle, so I'm layering the Painteresque image over the original image at about 40% which gives a little more control.

Yes, I also use Blender in these cases. The Version 2 for Android right now has more options.

simonclivehughes

Uwe, I could never quite figure Blender out, I'm using Laminar for layer work right now, although Filterstorm Pro does layers really well too.