The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re. Leica D-Lux3/Panasonic LX2

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Can anyone advise whether the little Leica D-Lux 3 or Panasonic LX2 allows fill flash control (say, to be able to set on-camera flash to 1 stop less than ambient, for example)? I had a Panny LX2 on workshop in Canada, but I just can't remember this detail.

cheers, kl

G

george

Re: Leica D-Lux3/Panasonic LX2

Hi,

I have the LX1, it has a slow-sync flash setting, lets a lot more of the ambient light get recorded and then the flash does the 'fill'. The result is a lot better than straight flash, there is no adjustment for this in any of the menus, it's a on/off feature. Presumably the LX2 is the same?

Cheers...
George.

Terry

Can anyone advise whether the little Leica D-Lux 3 or Panasonic LX2 allows fill flash control (say, to be able to set on-camera flash to 1 stop less than ambient, for example)? I had a Panny LX2 on workshop in Canada, but I just can't remember this detail.

cheers, kl
You have a fair number of choices. Slow Synch, Flash Compensation to reduce the flash, exposure compesation to change the exposure, then backlight compensation for fill, scene modes (night portrait, party mode) and finally you still have manual controls to make your own exposure.

cheers, kl
Yes, you can set ambient exposure adjustment and flash exposure adjustment independently, directly from the exposure control button (up arrow): one press is ambient, two presses is flash. Plus minus 2 steps in one third steps for each.

Simpler and more convenient than on most cameras...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thank you, all. I feel that I must get one of these (they are so cheap these days) and I know what the file quality is like. I like using the D3 for work, to be sure, but a walk-around camera it is not.

I was re-inspired by a post on FM (Alt thread) by ChrisDM:

http://www.boxedlight.com/dlux3/

Cheers to all, KL

jonoslack

Thank you, all. I feel that I must get one of these (they are so cheap these days) and I know what the file quality is like. I like using the D3 for work, to be sure, but a walk-around camera it is not.

I was re-inspired by a post on FM (Alt thread) by ChrisDM:

http://www.boxedlight.com/dlux3/

Cheers to all, KL
HI Kit
Jim's photographs are enough to inspire anyone I'd say, Lovely stuff indeed (he's a lovely bloke as well).

I must say, I really enjoy mine for those 'non-m8' moments.