The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRDII Case Options

P

PIXIllate

New to this forum. Found this place because I was looking for a compact camera and got interested in the Ricoh's. Just don't need to carry the D300 around everywhere on vacation. And bringing my FE2 and a bunch of TRI-X just sounds too much like work.

I've found a used GR-D II and it is on it's way to me now. I'm envisioning carrying it around in my pocket all the time. To avoid scratching up the screen and dust in the camera I want to get a low profile sleeve for it. I was thinking neoprene or something like that. I want something that adds as little bulk as possible and can be emptied fast. It probably doesn't even need to have a top flap. I have a metal thing like this for my cell because I carry it in my jeans pocket every day and it works well enough that I never worry about it.

I'd love to see what other GRD shooters have been using.

Chris

PS - Looking forward to getting back to hassle free street shooting.

D

ddk

I've tried a few but like Ricoh's cases best, they have two types, one will allow you to carry the camera with the small finder attached and one with a slightly lower profile for the camera only.

P

PIXIllate

I Looked at those but they are both expensive and bulky looking for a front pocket in my jeans.

Are they less bulky than they look?

Chris

D

ddk

I Looked at those but they are both expensive and bulky looking for a front pocket in my jeans.

Are they less bulky than they look?

Chris
They're not that bulky and if you can fit the camera in your pockets then the it will also fit with the slimmer case, don't remember the model no., the one that doesn't take the vf, and they come with belt loops.

D

ddk

I may have to resort to that one but $50 for a tiny case like that is a bit nuts. Hoping to find something even less bulky.

A company that makes flip camcorders makes a neoprene fliptop case for it that is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Not sure if the RIOCH will fit though.

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Soft-Pouch-Ultra-Camcorders/dp/B000VJZ8QQ

Chris
I don't know what to tell you, if not the ricoh case, the cheapest and most convenient cover would be a cutoff, black, sports sock, which is what I used until they came out with a case to hold the camera and the finder, I still use the sock at times.

O

Oxide Blu

Basically the same thing as the slim, $50 Ricoh case is available after market, 3rd party, starting at around $10, going up to $20-$25. Best Buy used to have a bunch of them, took in my GRDII and found a couple it fit in.

Rick Waldroup

I keep my GRDII, with viewfinder attached, in a small Tenba D1-L leather case. You can put it on your belt. or wear it however. I think I paid about 15 bucks for it at a local camera shop.

cjlacz

Oooh! I like the sock idea. I have both Ricoh cases. They really aren't that big, but it does make it a little harder to put in the pocket. I normally only use them when bringing the camera someplace, but I just put it in my pocket by itself while I'm shooting.

P

PIXIllate

Thanks for the hints. Maybe I'll just go and try out some when I get the camera.

I also wondered if I took one of those neoprene wine bags and cut most of the top off if that would work.

Chris

busch63

Also a good idea is to use a lens pouch or a flash pouch. I used for a while an old Nikon SB22 leather Flash pouch. It was wide enough and was very easy to handle. And if it was empty very small in any bag.

P

PIXIllate

I had thought about the idea of using a lens pouch. Not sure if I still have any around.

Chris

S

SimonL

Crumpler PP90 fits really well.

With the GV-2 mini viewfinder its a perfect fit.

P

PIXIllate

Those Suono cases look very cool but anywhere to get them in North America? It seems like the Asians get all the cool accessories.

That Crumpler model is NLA. They have something called the Big Al in different sizes but I would want to try it myself to see how it fits in my pocket.

I'll report back on my ghetto, ebay, cheap neoprene one when it arrives.

Chris