The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW conversion and pp techniques

Will

It was worth the effort Maggie! Actually your colour one has grown on me as well.

I may have to have another go now :p

A

Allan Rostron

I'm obviously deranged; it's almost 3:30AM here...and just to show how deranged, here's a slightly desaturated color version (though TR pretty much nailed it, IMO):
OK, I've lurked long enough. What's TR?

JDavila

Hello all,

This my first time posting to your forum but not my first time visiting. I have read ALLOT of your discussions and found them to be most valuable. So I would like to say thanks right off the bat for helping me decide witch camera to purchase with both informative and stimulating conversation.

I like many others were torn btwn the GX100, D-Lux or GR2 and well.........Price became a factor and found a incredible deal I could not pass up. Soooo I bought the GX100 and so far so good.

That being said I do have a question about PP. I started using LightZone (trial version) to do my pp and found that It took allot of time to load images and a ridiculous amount of time do do any task. So much so I had to stop working with RAW:angry:

Is this the case with the full version of LightZone?

I realize it is customary to post some shots so here are a couple I took out and about in Manhattans subway. After opening it up at home I realized the guy on the right is looking at himself in 10 years :D

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hello all,

This my first time posting to your forum but not my first time visiting. I have read ALLOT of your discussions and found them to be most valuable. So I would like to say thanks right off the bat for helping me decide witch camera to purchase with both informative and stimulating conversation.

I like many others were torn btwn the GX100, D-Lux or GR2 and well.........Price became a factor and found a incredible deal I could not pass up. Soooo I bought the GX100 and so far so good.

That being said I do have a question about PP. I started using LightZone (trial version) to do my pp and found that It took allot of time to load images and a ridiculous amount of time do do any task. So much so I had to stop working with RAW:angry:

Is this the case with the full version of LightZone?

I realize it is customary to post some shots so here are a couple I took out and about in Manhattans subway. After opening it up at home I realized the guy on the right is looking at himself in 10 years :D
Welcome, JDivila. Your shots are great. I love your style. I recently chose the GX-100 also. I use Lightroom and C1v4 to process (C1v4 for B+W JFI profiles), someone else will step in and answer your Lightzone question, I'm sure.

Maggie O

LightZone's default settings are pretty slow- open up the preferences and set the memory allocation to as high as you think you can get away with and that should speed it up. It's still not the fastest thing, but for some photos, it's worth the waiting, IMO.

I love both photos, BTW. Great stuff! (I love that OO-sized Gibson parlor-y guitar.)

JDavila

Thanks for the input and advice. Well It seem as though I cannot reset the memory in preference unless I am using the full version of LightZone. So Maggie I will have to take your word for it until I purchase it. For the record, I have no prob waiting sometime for a photo but 3hrs to make two changes is an obscenity :cussing:

jd

Last edited:

Maggie O

Weird, I was able to change the memory settings in my trial version, IIRC. I guess they changed that.

Standards are down all over.

Brian Mosley

It's based on the platinum style, but I selected two different colours for the highlight and shadow tones...

I wanted to highlight the steps going down to the river, and the building above without introducing more noise. I'm quite happy with the final result.

Kind Regards

Brian

sizifo

Brian, you've done the best job around in the boat area, for sure.

This particular photo, I think, addresses quite well one of the main challenges of small sensor cameras - dynamic range. I surely could have done better, but I think it's nearly impossible to get the both dark area around the water to be noise free (and visible) and keep the dramatic sky. But this exercise showed how much can be achieved despite of this. So thanks a lot to everybody. IT's been a great starting point for learning new techniques.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I surely could have done better, but I think it's nearly impossible to get the both dark area around the water to be noise free (and visible) and keep the dramatic sky. But this exercise showed how much can be achieved despite of this. So thanks a lot to everybody. IT's been a great starting point for learning new techniques.
I think your exposure was just fine. If you would have pushed the histogram to the right, you would have blown the sky. The only thing you could have done is to put the camera on a tripod, take 2 (or more) exposures, and then blended the exposures. That is not always possible.

Brian Mosley

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your comments :)

Sizifo, thanks for your thoughts... I agree, the sky could be better - perhaps I'll try again.

Kind Regards

Brian