The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weekend with the ZS3 / TZ7

simonclivehughes

I recently acquired the ZS3 which replaced my TZ5 which then went to my daughter (to replace the TZ3 I had given her). I used the ZS3 this past weekend on a visit to Victoria, on Vancouver Island, BC. We have relatives there and always enjoy the trip. During our time there, we also spent a few hours on Sidney Island, a very picturesque park.

I shot the ZS3 on Auto (the camera icon), set to Vivid, ISOmax set to 400, -1/3 EV. The results (jpeg only), were surprisingly good, even straight out of the camera. With a little PP, they positively shine!

View attachment 18076

View attachment 18078

View attachment 18077

View attachment 18079

More can be seen at my website.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well, they look great on my 24" screen......in fact, I wouldn't print them that large but they could go there easily...
the light on the 1st one is simply beautiful.....

and....what is the name of the flower....I love to garden....

very nice....Does that camera do Raw?
shooter

simonclivehughes

Shooter, thanks for the feedback. The camera just shoots jpegs, but as you can see, they can produce some nice results. The low light performance isn't great but in nice light, it's hard to beat.

Sorry, don't know the name of the flower. Pretty, whatever it is.

Cheers,

Rawfa

Nice! My wife has been asking me about small portable super zooms and this seems like a great option. Canon has a similar model with a slightly bigger zoom and slightly smaller wide angle, but even though it has manual controls the IQ is not as good as Panas'.

Lili

Very Nice work, Simon.
One of the huge advantages of small sensors is the ability to pack a lot of versatility into quite small and totable packeges.
It is amazing just how very competent, in the right hands (like yours), they are these days.

simonclivehughes

Lili & Rawfa,

Thanks for your comments. I've been a fan of the TZ3/TZ5 and now the TZ7 as they provide so much in such a compact and well put together package. While I'd prefer to have a RAW file to work with, the jpegs on this series has progressively gotten better and better. The biggest drawback I find is not having a viewfinder to sight through.

Cheers,

clay stewart

Nice images, Simon. I agree, even without Raw, these little Panasonic cameras put out some great Jpegs. I have the TS1 and I'm really growing fond of it as a pocket camera that can go anywhere, in any climate, even underwater (haven't tried the last part yet.)

simonclivehughes

Thanks, Clay. It's pretty cool to have that much photographic versatility and capability in a carry-anywhere package... I just love it. To get the best of of the images, I still would post-process, but the point is, you get a very capable file to begin work upon.

Ciao,