The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fish Tank

Don Ellis

Click for larger image, cropped but at 100%. Sigma DP-2.

Just a snapshot while I was waiting for a table at my dim sum restaurant. But if this is a snapshot, you can imagine what you can capture with a little care and some thought. :p

Seems like I spend a fair amount of my time these days marvelling at the camera's abilities... one of these days I'll have to get serious about subject matter. Then again, I'm not on a deadline (unlike these guys).

Don

simonclivehughes

Don,

I'm more and more amazed by the DP2. I've been tempted by it, right from the onset (I have the DP1), but in the end I decided that if Sigma hadn't replaced the LCD, I would pass. I would rather put the money into the Panny 17mm f1.7 lens for my G1s.

However you slice it though, the DP2 is capable of wonderful images.

Cheers,

Don Ellis

Don,

I'm more and more amazed by the DP2. I've been tempted by it, right from the onset (I have the DP1), but in the end I decided that if Sigma hadn't replaced the LCD, I would pass. I would rather put the money into the Panny 17mm f1.7 lens for my G1s.

However you slice it though, the DP2 is capable of wonderful images.

Cheers,
Hi Simon,

Nice of you to comment... thank you.

Since I bought the DP2, I've only picked up my Canon G9 once, to see if perhaps a light tent shot would be better with the G9, especially considering my experience with it. It wasn't.

I know what you mean about the LCD. A friend showed me some photos today on the LCD of his LX3... and they were just stunning. Real little art pieces.

What I do now is remember the difference between LCD and the real image. I look at some beautiful images on my G9 LCD, only to delete them once I see them on-screen. It's just the opposite with the DP-2: I glance at preview images on the LCD and think, Why did I even press the shutter? But on the monitor, I think, Wow, that is really a striking photo.

We DP-2 owners have to rationalize wherever we can. :D

I'll post some other photos from a recent trip to Macau in the next few days. The fish tank photo may have been a snapshot, but I paid attention to some of the Macau photos. :p

Cheers,
Don

simonclivehughes

Don,

I know what you mean as I have the D-LUX4 (LX3) and its LCD is stunning. It and the GRDII will really spoil you, especially when it comes to the shoddy Sigma LCD.

Your picture brought back memories of when I was in Zhuhai, just adjacent to Macau. We went to a similar restaurant where you chose your seafood from cascading tanks in the street and then went upstairs to be seated and await "your" fish to arrive. Simply scrumptious!

Looking forward to your further pictures.

Ciao,

pollobarca

Don,
Those Sigma DP's are both impressive machines. I'm tempted but I am more tempted by the new Oly. Then by the time I get the money ready perhaps Ricoh will have a GX300 or similar.
You get to eat fish like that one? Sunday last we went to an Agriturismo with Trout on the menu from its own pools.We had the roast though.

Both with the GX100. I then took a shot using the gx100 and a Nikon wide angle converter,WCE68. Couldnt see through the water anymore! Anyone any ideas on why?
All the best
paul

ps if you fancy a nice meal and place to stay

http://www.ilmulinodilerma.it

MHC

Hi Don,

Same snapshot experience as you when I was waiting outside the restaurant. Just this was taken by GRD2.

First time to post the image from flickr rather than uploaded to GetDPI. Hope this works.

www.flickr.com/photos/mhchung

O

Oxide Blu

Don - Great pic of dinner critters -- really great pic! I've eaten most of those at one time or another. :)

Normally I don't tweak snapshots, kind of defeats a snapshot as a snapshot, but aquariums made of glass might be an exception -- they are essentially colored lens filters. Aquarium glass has color, usually either greenish or blueish that our brain corrects for, but a camera (digital or film) does not. (Acrylic aquariums are virtually colorless, pix of fish in them don't need tweaking.) I suspect the grill with holes in your photo is supposed to be white. If you correct for that you will also remove the blue-greenish tint from dinner, umm, I mean the fish.

I snipped a piece of your pic, resized, subjected it to PSE auto cast remove tool. I think it evaluated the white grill as gray, but it gives you an idea of how effective a colored lens filter aquarium glass is.

Unfortunately, when the aquarium is not the only thing in the pic you are stuck having to correct for color cast only in the area where the aquarium glass is, else you bias the color in the rest of image.

Did I mention how much I love black & white photography? :D