The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats your "Go To" Camera? In any sensor size that is...

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Beings that I have dual personalities.......
The other guy in my head likes the G9.....

Shooter.... Aka Don ..... Aka yet to be discovered

D

ddk

I have to say that I agree, but the S5 is big and heavy, and the lenses that work well on the S5 are big and heavy as well.
Actually all of the Zeiss primes work great with it and they're pretty compact, specially the 25, 28, 35 and the 50, any of which will do the trick.

ecsh

The D-Lux4. Mainly because i can stick it in my shirt pocket, and i am out the door without any extra baggage.

smokysun

for a long time the d-lux 2. got frustrated with its lowlight performance and switched to the fuji f30. probably still the best lowlight compact. however, realized i stopped wanting to take shots with it. the lens 35 and i love 28 or better. had the d-lux 2 ired and carry it all the time. the ir seems to have improved its lowlight as well.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Actually all of the Zeiss primes work great with it and they're pretty compact, specially the 25, 28, 35 and the 50, any of which will do the trick.
Up to 50mm, it look's ok. It's above that I get into trouble, and I do wish the S5 was D80-sized. The difference is considerable, and the Zeiss lenses won't even meter with the D80 (This is the most negative thing I have to say about Nikon, a designed lack of backwards compatibility. All Pentax and Olympus cameras meter with legacy lenses, in addition to adding IS. Heck, Olympus even meters with Nikon and Pentax lenses. Unfortunately, only the E30 and E-3 have viewfinders that are suited for manual focusing.).

I consider buying a 135mm f/2.8 AIS btw., to get a compact telephoto lens for the S5. Any experience with that one? 17-50, 85 and 135mm would be a great "coverall set".

simonclivehughes

For me, the G1s are the are the cams that I grab for the best quality/low weight ratio. Other than that, the D-LUX4 and increasingly, the ZS3 for a smaller package. The quality of the images from even the smaller cameras is just so astonishing these days.

Only if I feel that I need the additional range of the larger sensor or the speed do I take my D300s.

Cheers,

Tim

If I am going out and dont intend to take images, but I might see something I take the GRD II.

Lately however I have rotated the GRD with my LX3 as more and more I find I have a project in mind that suits the LX3. Now that I have a DP2 its goes along with the LX3 while I learn to use it - complicated isnt it? Occasionally I do a bit of video on the LX3 so both work hand in hand. :lecture:

Somehow I find two compacts easier to tote than one DSLR. I am becoming more and more interested in the G1, GH1 or E-P1 path though. :talk028:

O

Oxide Blu

I will grant that since I do go back and forth on gear I spend less 'quality time' learning this craft and more adapting to whatever camera I am using.
That is kind of what I was getting at except that I didn't mean to make reference about learning the craft of photography. I meant in my experience a photographer that has a lot of equipment seems to choose the hardware they need to get the image they want (use the right tool for the job), e.g. if you are not close enough, you zoom in or get a longer lens. On the other hand, with few choices and less flexible hardware, if I am not close enough I need to move to get closer. You equipment hounds have the benefit of more creative control -- I have the benefit of more time to drink beer.
:ROTFL:

Lili

That is kind of what I was getting at except that I didn't mean to make reference about learning the craft of photography. I meant in my experience a photographer that has a lot of equipment seems to choose the hardware they need to get the image they want (use the right tool for the job), e.g. if you are not close enough, you zoom in or get a longer lens. On the other hand, with few choices and less flexible hardware, if I am not close enough I need to move to get closer. You equipment hounds have the benefit of more creative control -- I have the benefit of more time to drink beer.

Ahhhhh, the Fuji Bridgecam allows that versatility without changing lenses or lugging a big bag about.
Like this series at the old Dallas Cowboys Stadium
"No Trespassing under any Circumstances" posted everywhere
Melancholy memories about to perish

S6000fd at 28mm-e

S6000fd cropped square from 150mm-e
Actually both shots could have been done easily with say a Fuji F200EXR or Canon G10
But my 'outdated' S6000 does the job quite well

Faded guard rail in Cowboy blue, desolate parking area, 28mm-e

Roy, my BF, ponders memories of games watched here.

Lili

Beer is good but I prefer Jack
And given choice between carrying more gear or drinking beer.....beer wins!
:thumbs:

busch63

Even I have the DP1, my GX200 is the more "every day to go Camera". It has been said the GX200 is the "swiss army knife" type of camera. I totally agree.
The DP1 make better image quality in some cases. The GX200 is close to this quality (if the settings are well), you can use for every purpose (even with converters).

I also have the Fuji F100fd. Nice and good for point&shot even on parties.

Something what u don´t find in any other compact is raw + 180s! and also the superb macro availability: #1=180s, #2= zoommakro (no tripod)

Last edited:

Lili

Don, Thank you.
BTW, 2 days of using the GRD exclusively, it is back on my 'go to' list.
Compliments F60fd very well. both in tiny lowepro bags on shoulder strap; easy to carry.
After work I will post some shots :)

Godfrey

all my cameras now have the same size sensor (FourThirds) so in a rush I just grab whichever one is nearest to me. They all make excellent photos.

H

HarrisGraeberII

I gave my ex-main digital camera, Fujifilm S6000fd, to my brother before Christmas, and he is still enjoying it.

Photo in San Gabriel Park, Georgetown, TX:

Photo at home in Leander(2007):

Since getting the Nikon D90, my "go-to" digital cameras are still the same; Fuji F50se and J110W, one with IS, one without. Photo from each:

F50se

and

J110W

and