The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 review photos:

Stuart Richardson

I'm not entirely sure it is all that bad judging from these pictures. There are shadows and reflections from a greenish glass on the shop front. Also paving stones do get unevenly worn when they are next to a wall or window and in one picture they are a block of only four grey slabs against a wall. I spend a lot of time at work having public realm hard landscaping re done because of uneven colouring of the materials used. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I'd like to see more convincing evidence.

can you see any in this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rytterfalk/2301611297/sizes/l/
Actually, yes. If you look at the counter, the white trim goes from green at left to neutral white on center. The yellow of the counter goes from greenish at the very edge to a more neutral as you get to the center. I don't think it is a extremely dramatic effect like the one that Maggie posted, but it is very similar to what you get on the M8 with a 35mm or 28mm lens. Seeing as this is a fixed lens camera, I think it should be programmed out.

As for other examples, look at Sigma's own at the DP1 page. I see it in most of the photos there, but particularly in number 10. The sand at the bottom is very green compared to the sand on center, and this is a very even toned image...the difference is obvious to me. The color numbers of the sand on center are 165,148,133 versus 108,106,87 at the bottom edge...the red is significantly deficient compared to the center.
Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, it is just something that I noticed and it struck me as very familiar as an M8 user. When it came out people got all excited because they had been hoping for it for a long time and people did not really notice some of the flaws...when they got them in hand they started to see that the pictures coming out of the camera did not look like the world they were looking at and they got angry. Again, I have no interest in bad mouthing the camera, I think it is producing some beautiful results, but there may be situations where you need to be aware of the cyan vignetting unless sigma corrects it in the firmware. Personally, it would annoy me.

Will

OK Stuart, I think I see what you mean now, though it does take some looking for if, like me, a person hasn't experienced this effect before. I'd still like to see an example like Maggies where it is more quantifiable.
Of course we don't know if Sigma already have programed some out, but perhaps just not enough?

A

asabet

I'm really the only one who sees (or cares about) the quite apparent cyan vignetting in these files, huh? The color on center is beautiful, but look at that first photo -- the flagstones are greyish brown in the center and quite a greenish grey in the lower left corner. And the kids jacket is a warm grey on his the left shoulder (our left) and a very greenish grey on the right shoulder...this is not just being in shadow, it is strong cyan vignetting. There is no excuse for this given that it is a fixed lens camera -- that is something that should be taken care of in firmware. It would be really easy too.
I see it. I'm not too troubled by it though. A firmware fix addressing this for in-camera JPEGs would be nice, but I'd prefer they leave the RAW as is. For images where it bothers me, I'd rather process it out myself.

jonoslack

I see it. I'm not too troubled by it though. A firmware fix addressing this for in-camera JPEGs would be nice, but I'd prefer they leave the RAW as is. For images where it bothers me, I'd rather process it out myself.
One needs to be careful about such things - it can be nasty in a snow scene! In the M8 it's very much connected with the IR filter and with vignetting, and cornerfix works well. On the Kodak 14n there was a similar cyan / magenta drift which was known as the Italian flag - it was not directly related to vignetting and was really really difficult to get rid of (it only happened with some lenses). This doesn't look terribly serious, but it looks more like the Kodak problem than the Leica one.

It's taken Sigma a long time to get this camera 'right' which does suggest there are complications - lets hope this isn't something that's going to be a noticeable problem when it appears.

A

asabet

I've been assuming that, given the lack of a similar product from anyone else, there must be some significant compromises involved. This is one I can deal with, even if all my snow scenes have to be in B&W ;). Also, given the known issues related to putting a large Foveon sensor in a small body, I think it's fair to assume that this issue is related to vignetting.

Terry

The funny thing is that I think Sigma still could have made this a successful product in a little bit bigger form factor. Like the size of an old Canonet. I think it didn't need to be completely pocketable it just needed to be significantly smaller than a dslr. But that being said, I have no idea what aspects of the design gave them the biggest problem.

Brian Mosley

... and then they could have put a proper optical VF in it, too!
In that case, you'd probably just have an Olympus E-410 class camera... I think that, considering the engineering challenges, Sigma made the right choice on form factor. I want to see it succeed, if only to give Ricoh and Panasonic more cause to innovate.

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

This post at Alt Gear & Lenses pointed to PopPhoto.com's First Look at the Sigma DP1, with an accompanying Photo Gallery. The images in this gallery are so disappointing -- as evidenced by the 100% details -- that I'm inclined to blame the photographer rather than the camera. Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
I think you are right about the photographer. I had a look at their GX100 images and, though taken on what looks like a brighter day, they aren't much better. As for which camera to get I already have the GRD2 but I'm intending to get a DP1 as well, partly to give Sigma the support they deserve but mostly because I want to try out colour photography with the fovion and some of the images I've seen really impress me.

V

VladimirV

Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
I will update my GRD I with a GRD II for the following reasons:

- Controls are much better and more intuitive on the Ricohs and this to me is more important than any IQ advantage.
- LCD has a slow refresh rate on the DP1 and the build feels cheap and flimsy.
- Only f4 lens and sometimes even f2.4 and ISO1600 is just nor fast enough.
- Ability to keep using my add-on lenses from the GRD I.

But what it really comes down to are the controls and feel of the camera, the GRD for me is perfect and it will be difficult to find something that comes close.

You can find a side-by-side comparisson betwen the GRDs and DP1 on my blog. More a report than a review and I did not test or go into the IQ.

But the PopPhoto images are really bad and suffer from camera shake and are very soft. Looking at the 100% crops they looks worse than most compact cameras. Don't think they do the DP1 justice in what it can deliver.

A

asabet

This post at Alt Gear & Lenses pointed to PopPhoto.com's First Look at the Sigma DP1, with an accompanying Photo Gallery. The images in this gallery are so disappointing -- as evidenced by the 100% details -- that I'm inclined to blame the photographer rather than the camera. Given the choice, I'd upgrade my GRD to a GRD2 rather than buy a DP1 but I'd be interested to learn what other members think...
In addition to possible user error during capture (slow shutter speeds, etc), those Pop Photo images were upsized to 14MP (one was actually upsized to 18.6MP). Upscaling is fine, but the results are highly dependent upon the method used. The results from Pop Photo don't look anything like the results Carl Rytterfalk is getting with the DP1.

A

asabet

The funny thing is that I think Sigma still could have made this a successful product in a little bit bigger form factor. Like the size of an old Canonet. I think it didn't need to be completely pocketable it just needed to be significantly smaller than a dslr. But that being said, I have no idea what aspects of the design gave them the biggest problem.
I too would have preferred a larger camera with fewer compromises, but I think the DP1 will have broader appeal due to the current small form.