The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 review photos:

V

VladimirV

I played around with one yesterday and you can find pictures of the camera (not from the camera!) and details on my blog and flickr account.

Here's my verdict of the build and operation, more will follow on my blog.

I was very interested in the DP1 but after handling it at the Focus in Birmingham yesterday I am very dissapointed considering the price.

The Ricoh GRD II screen is a lot better with clearer colors, wider viewing angle, higher resolution and most important higher refresh rate.

The DP1 screen is more like the GRD I screen but with a slower refresh rate. Paning around does not work well.

The Ricoh GRD is better crafted in every respect and aside from the larger sensor and manual focus wheel I do not see much going for the DP1. The DP1 and accessories are made out of plastic and feel like this, there is no grip on the DP1, the OVF is dark and the framelines difficult to see, the camera reacts slow and the RAW write time is around 4-5sec. without a buffer.

Even the Sigma reps and people at the booth were very impressed by the build of the GRD and especially the OVF.

The IQ should be better and I liked some of the large prints they had and while I printed a large image from the GRD it does not quite compare. But I will wait to get a proper comparisson with the GRD II before making up my mind how much better the DP1 is.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Vladimir

Useful feedback... I'll look forward to having a play with it myself tomorrow.

If, as you say the build quality is poor then the price will drop more quickly - and the most important thing is the image quality.

Kind Regards

Brian

Maggie O

Thanks for the photos and report, Christian!

Makes me think that waiting for the DP2 would be prudent.

V

VladimirV

I am sure if it would feature IS Sigma would use it in their brochure and for advertising. There was no mention of IS in the menu, all you have is a slow shutter warning icon and light that might've been mistaken for IS as it looks like the IS on symbols.

A

asabet

I printed a couple of the official samples and am really impressed. Another month to wait... If Sigma announces another delay, I'm going to go batty!

V

VladimirV

I posted my impressions on my blog.

Overall rather disappointed, great sensor but not impressed with the rest. Think as a package the GRD II is better.

Will

Where abouts on the link are the images? If they show up without having to click any links then my browser (safari) is having problems with the page.

A

asabet

Where abouts on the link are the images? If they show up without having to click any links then my browser (safari) is having problems with the page.
It's not your browser. The site is having intermittent trouble. Direct links to the individual photos still work.

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-photo/img/SigmaDP1-001.jpg
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-photo/img/SigmaDP1-002.jpg
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-photo/img/SigmaDP1-003.jpg
etc up to
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/sample-photo/img/SigmaDP1-037.jpg

A

asabet

I know, I know :). It's hard to get tone across in text, but I wasn't being completely serious with that statement.

Stuart Richardson

Interesting...did anyone else notice the cyan vignetting? It looks similar to the cyan vignetting that you get on the M8 with a 35 or 28mm lens when using an IR filter and no correction. It is particularly noticeable in photo 10, and I see it in several others as well, And what is up with the clouds in photo 8? I have never seen purple clouds before...I never got around to shrooms or acid, but it is nice to know that I can get a DP1 and have the same effect! Don't worry, I am not trying to knock the camera, but I was just interested to see those results.

Brian Mosley

I asked about IS, apparently it's only available in movie mode...

Also, the RAW write speed was stated as fixed 6 seconds - the bottle neck being the camera processing of data, rather than a slow card. There is a buffer, which brings the initial shot to shot time down to 3-4 secs.

I got the impression that the camera could do with some more 'finishing' work on the user interface - for instance, the focus area selection is limited to one of 9 squares in the centre of the sensor - I would have preferred to see a freely moveable selection square.

My hope is, that Sigma will continue to refine and enhance the user interface by firmware upgrades after the unit starts to ship... also that most people will hold off purchasing until the camera street price drops to £400 - which would be realistic imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

bbodine9

I took the time last night to print 4 of the Sigma posted samples in 8 x 10 size and I was astonished at the detail and true color of the photos. For any one who doubts this camera please give this a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Lili

Also, the RAW write speed was stated as fixed 6 seconds - the bottle neck being the camera processing of data, rather than a slow card. There is a buffer, which brings the initial shot to shot time down to 3-4 secs.

Sadly, that is slower than the Canon G9, of course there is a LOT more data in the DP1's RAW files I guess

I got the impression that the camera could do with some more 'finishing' work on the user interface - for instance, the focus area selection is limited to one of 9 squares in the centre of the sensor - I would have preferred to see a freely moveable selection square.

I tend to agree with you, altho I seldom use this feature on any camera

Brian Mosley

I just tried manual focusing today on my LX1 and it's great... you get a hyperfocal display bar and a live zoomed box in a 'picture in picture' style. It really made me realise how much more 'finishing' work needs to be done in the DP1's user interface. What the heck have they been doing for the last year?

Anyhow, all these are quibbles when you get down to it... the APS-C sized Foveon sensor cuts them a lot of slack!

Kind Regards

Brian