The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

picture-taking is a dangerous business

N

nei1

Wayne,that looks nasty,hope youre ok!.....best to you,Neil.

p.s.nice photo

O

Oxide Blu

Ouch!!! Wayne, are you testing our upcoming bear-drop photo shot? :D

Glad you are ok. Years ago I heard a rattle snake while walking across some rocks in Utah. It was the 1st time I heard one. Amazing how fast the body shifts to automatic mode, instant adrenaline pumping, and I didn't even know where the thing was -- didn't know which direction to move but know I had to move NOW! Your injury makes sense, I couldn't have stood still if I wanted to.

smokysun

better practice your fall! mine no 25 ft. and i was thinking, 'next time i'm going to stand still!'

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps i was shooting ir and you never know what you're going to get.

Last edited:

andrewteee

I've been there. Those rattlesnake instincts run deep and automatic. First time I saw one I jumped back 10 feet without even knowing why. Then I saw how small it was and felt for the guy. He's just doing his thing by warning me.

D

ddk

Hi Wayne,your wound looks like you were bitten by a snake, fortunately not! Hope that all is well with you.

smokysun

thanks for the kind thoughts. guess i go with the maybe idea: if i hadn't jumped and fallen in the brush, maybe i'd have been bitten by a black widow spider (i always lift the lid of the outhouse toilet to check) five minutes later!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Terry

Having a home in AZ I've had a couple of encounters.

The funny one was during a golf tournament. Rattle snake was on the tee box sunning itself and was in no rush to move. We would have been disqualified for teeing off somewhere else. After waiting in vain for it to move away we whipped out a cell phone (at a club where they are banned) and called the pro shop to send someone out to help. Of course as the "men" were driving up the snake decided it had enough and slithered away.

Sorry to see your head trauma. Feel better.

N

nei1

better practice your fall! mine no 25 ft. and i was thinking, 'next time i'm going to stand still!'

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps i was shooting ir and you never know what you're going to get.
Is this the camera or your new "snake vision".......I see a whole new career for you Wayne in Holywood;we just need to think up a good name for you....,if you need a manager give me a ring..

O

Oxide Blu

... maybe i'd have been bitten by a black widow spider

I'm just getting some experience with those critters, too. 3-days ago found an Australian Redback spider spinning a web under my bicycle seat!!! :eek:

The Redback is the Australian version of a black widow. It does not belong here! It is thought to have gotten here in a shipment of veggies from Australia. It first showed up in the streets of Osaka about 10-years ago. I tried to get a pic of it, grabbed my camera from the dry box, ran outside, and POOF! -- lens fog.
:cussing: :cry:

ShiroKuro

Must be be one of those weeks .... I was walking along shooting with my GRD yesterday and some kind person left behind a pool of melted ice cream on the side walk .... walking along with my eye to the finder , I slipped and fell on my *** and smashed my camera on the concrete sidewalk ; ( lol Glad you are ok Wayne ... Rattle snakes and ice cream ... Picture taking certainly is dangerous ....

Robert Campbell

nasty experience for you, scar and all to prove it.

No rattlesnakes in Ireland, if you fancy a change -- much safer, but then no fires, so you'd be on the dole :)

smokysun

thanks, all. sore this morning in places i didn't know existed, otherwise fine.

neil, in my salad days i would have taken you up on it,

or, robert, moved to ireland. (with a girlfriend snuck through a broken window into yeats' tower for the sunset. three rainbows appeared over his grave.)

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Lili

Wayne do take care, head injuries, even seemingly minor ones, can be dangerous.
Of course so can Rattlesnakes