The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cloud Building

Don Ellis

Just felt like posting something... DP2... building is across from the Hung Hom Railway Station in Hong Kong where I was meeting Leela's train... 24 hours from Beijing to Hong Kong. US$108 for a soft sleeper with two to four to a room. I know... you'd rather see that, but I wasn't on the train. :p

Click for larger image.

Don

O

Oxide Blu

Very nice, Don. You've almost pixelated a skyscape. :)

Btw - if anyone knows, is there a way to click on an image to see the bigger picture and have it display on a black background instead of white?

Don Ellis

Very nice, Don. You've almost pixelated a skyscape. :)
I wondered what to call the technique... thank you. "Pixelated Sky" is much better than "Cloud Building." :)

I must say that I liked the effect of so many reflected clouds with no clouds in the background.

Btw - if anyone knows, is there a way to click on an image to see the bigger picture and have it display on a black background instead of white?
This is just from failing memory, but it seems that years ago I read that you could change the native background color of blank browser pages... but that would require your viewers to do it, not you, so that's not what you're looking for.

If it were me and it was important -- and I've never been a fan of photos on white or light-coloured backgrounds -- I would put a larger border on the photo (as I've done above) that would cover any screen real estate. It shouldn't add too much to the KB of the image since it would be black.

For reference, my monitor is 1920x1200, but as long as you're doing it, make it larger and leave 100 to 200 pixels on the top and left and the balance on the right and bottom.

Did I say this was a work-around? It's certainly more work. :D

Don

Ok, I just did it so you can click here.

The original large image is 1674x1738 and is 680KB.
The framed large image is 2500x2500 and is 746KB.

I used 90% quality in ACDSee for the PSD conversion, but you could probably go as low as 70%. There are 50 pixels top and left side. Balance of the arbitrary 2500x2500 on the other two sides.

Don, again.

Last edited:

Diane B

Very cool. I like the added reflection of the bldg. over on the right also. One wouldn't expect it to reflect like that--almost painted on, but I'm guessing its because the reflective glass is just slightly at an angle with the next for the curved front.

Will

Great shot Don!

I seem to remember taking one on a similar theme a while back. I'll see if i can find it.

Don Ellis

Very cool. I like the added reflection of the bldg. over on the right also. One wouldn't expect it to reflect like that--almost painted on, but I'm guessing its because the reflective glass is just slightly at an angle with the next for the curved front.
Hi Diane... yes, I think you're right about the curved front and the individual sections. Nice to hear from you... thanks for the nice comment. Now I'll go work on some Macau shots for you. :D Although not tonight.

Don

Don Ellis

Great shot Don!

I seem to remember taking one on a similar theme a while back. I'll see if i can find it.
Thanks, Will... any nice comment makes me look over the photo one more time... and on this passover, I think if I were doing it again I would move slightly to the left to center the three shrubs in the reflective area. But such is life... I'm not going out to Hung Hom again until I'm boarding a train to Beijing. :)

Don

Will

Now that I've found mine they aren't all that great by comparison but I'll put them up anyways. They were some of my first shots with the DP1 and I think I've improved a bit with the pp since then.

And my favorite with no clouds.