The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dp2 or dp1 Picard Edition?

N

nautilus

What do you think is the better recommendation to buy?

The dp1 Picard Edition is prized € 699, the dp2 is priced €599.

The Picard edition is a nice set that contains all the accesories I think:
- viewfinder VF-11
- flash EF 140-DG
- macro lens AML1
- lens hood HA-11
- Picard leather bag
- wooden box

picture:
http://www.foto-gregor.de/epages/FotoGregor.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/FotoGregor.Shop/Products/2000000737317

The dp2 comes without accessories.

I'm not very familiar with these cameras. I know that both can make good pictures and maybe are a bit slow with certain functions compared to other compact cameras. Theses are only very genral impressions from what I read!

Do you think that the dp2 is much better than the dp1 (picture quality, handling, display or other features, low light use, image stabilisation)? What did Sigma improve from one camera to the other.
How reliable/robust is the dp1?

I would use the camera for travelling, mostly landscapes or shots in cities I visit. It doesn't have to be ultrafast for that. I like the idea that I could get the camera with the viewfinder, flash and bag included.

Will

Personally I would go for the DP1 if it will mostly be landscapes and cityscapes. I don't own a DP2 so I'm not basing this opinion on hands on experience with both cameras.
That kit sounds like a very tempting package though.

smokysun

i agree with will. do you want a 28 or 41mm lens. that seems to be the only real difference? you can push the limits of the camera - 4.0 lens and slow raw write time - but if you want pics of fast moving young children in low light, this is not the camera. (the lx3 seems best suited for that.) and the richard franich grip makes a huge difference in handling.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

N

nautilus

Will, do you know the viewfinder. Is it fun to use, well build (not too cheap plastic) and accurate enough to get roughly the frame you see?

Wayne, probably the 28mm would be better, f4 is fine for me if I don't always have to stop down further for sufficient quality. How close can I focus with the camera?
I'm a bit unsure because dp1 was Sigma's first compact camera. The first always has some technical flaws which are improved with the second (dp2). Nothing to fear with dp1 in this respect?

For fast shooting I will keep my DSLR-system with fast lenses. I'm interested in the Sigma at all because it's sensor size is between FT and APS. I'm sure I would not be happy with the output quality form smaller sensor cameras. As long as I don't have to wait a significant time from pressing the shutter to getting the picture the dp1/dp2 should be fast enough.

I forgot to ask if somebody knowas thsi macro lens or has a link for pictures made with it? Thanks again.

Will

Don't know about the viewfinder, I use the Ricoh GV2 on mine. Maybe someone else could help you on that one.

smokysun

i have the voigtlander brightline and heartily recommend it. the sigma i tried and it was too small. the voigt will still catch part of the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/Voigtlander-M...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248019033&sr=8-1

shoot in manual, which is very easy, for the quickest response. otherwise, a bit slow to focus. i haven't really noticed any shutter lag.

i simply don't think they improved with the dp2, as far as things besides the lens. i personally like the 28.

the image quality, i think, rivals many dslrs. in that department i think you will be very satisfied (shoot raw).

here i pushed the limits, often bracing myself against a wall:

http://www.pbase.com/wwp/museum

interesting dp info on this site:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/sigmaDP1.html

there's no question its image quality better than any other compact. i do recommend the franiec grip. somehow it makes the camera a joy to hold.

one thing: this is not as small as the lx3 and gx100. it won't slip into a shirt pocket. that said, it's still a very nice size.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:
N

nautilus

Wyane, thank you very much for your information and links to related websites (interesting pictures from you on pbase!)! Backed-up with this information I try to find some time next weekend to visit the shop and handhold the camera to get a personal impression.