The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re-discovering the GX-100

Maggie O

He asked which one to get, a GR-D II or a Caplio GX-100. I told him what I'd do if I didn't already have a good pocketable camera.

Why? The GR-D II is cooler, has a better lens and can be used with an optical VF.

Maggie O

BTW, the GX-100 can be used with an optical viewfinder. I have the EVF and prefer optical viewfinders.
Yeah, but it's not practical to use the zoom with them, as you'd have to carry a bunch around with you all the time and swap them out.

The GR-D II is just more badass with its "I Yam Whatta Yam" prime lens. It's like my one-pickup Fender Esquire guitar. Only a camera. :thumbs: :lecture:

BTW, I am not taking any of this even remotely seriously. :)

Lili

don't forget the GRD first gen, ultimate jpeg machine
you cannot go wrong with any Ricoh tho
they rock

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I wanted a camera for my purse that I could use in different situations. If I knew I was going out with one lens, it would likely be with my Leica M (M8 or MP). I reasoned that the GX-100 would be more flexible for me. I have a little zippered cosmetic case in my purse that holds the EVF, 28 and 35 viewfinders. I just got a 75 viewfinder today and added it. I always have my purse, so I'm always going to be prepared. Everyone has to figure out what works for them.

I wish I could play a guitar!:banghead:

nostatic

After 6 days in Hong Kong with both the D-Lux 3 and K10d (alternating between 18-55 and 100mm macro) I have to say that I was very happy to have the zoom on the Leica. And frankly, I got better (and certainly more) with the p&s (as opposed to the dslr, but different comparison than you're making). I think it really depends on how you see/look/shoot though.

Photon-hunter

- The GRDII is definitely the cool choice (and more expensive)..:angel:
Funny how everybody keeps going about the steep price of the GRDII, well here in my place the GX100 is actually 30€ more expensive...GO FIGURE:confused:

GRDII:518€ ; GX100:548€. I have been told by other members that this prices are a bit high anyway (at least the GX100 is).

E.

jonoslack

Funny how everybody keeps going about the steep price of the GRDII, well here in my place the GX100 is actually 30€ more expensive...GO FIGURE:confused:

GRDII:518€ ; GX100:548€. I have been told by other members that this prices are a bit high anyway (at least the GX100 is).

E.
and we all have to feel sorry for you . . . . . .because you live in the Canary Islands?!!!!!:toocool:

jonoslack

Yeah, but it's not practical to use the zoom with them, as you'd have to carry a bunch around with you all the time and swap them out.
Take one, and you've got the same as the GRDII . . . then use the back for the extras. I agree that the EVF is rubbish though.

The GR-D II is just more badass with its "I Yam Whatta Yam" prime lens. It's like my one-pickup Fender Esquire guitar. Only a camera. :thumbs: :lecture:
Ah the badass factor! I give in E - you'd better just go for the 'badass' one
:salute:

Photon-hunter

Ah the badass factor! I give in E - you'd better just go for the 'badass' one
:salute:
Oh! The badass factor, how on earth could I forget to ponder that!!!!

This is definetely going to make my purchase much easier guys..:clap:

kmon, Guy, will you close this thread, puleeze?? This hurts. :eek:

E.

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

you've really got me thinking now about what I want in a compact camera! Here are the key aspects I'm aware of/considering... if anyone can see anything I'm missing, please let me know :)

Sigma DP1 vs Ricoh GX100

Sensor size :
DP1 wins on Dynamic Range, clean low ISO images, high ISO B&W
GX100 wins on high DOF, high ISO colour, macro performance

Camera ergonomics :
GX100 wins on size, handling, speed... mature and polished product

Lens :
GX100 wins on flexibility and speed of lens
DP1 wins on sharpness of lens (?)

Plus, I can buy a GX100 today for less than half the price of a Sigma DP1 which won't be available for another 2 or 3 weeks...

Have I missed anything?

Kind Regards

Brian

Last edited:

jonoslack

Oh! The badass factor, how on earth could I forget to ponder that!!!!

This is definetely going to make my purchase much easier guys..:clap:

kmon, Guy, will you close this thread, puleeze?? This hurts. :eek:

E.
Of course, you could simply get both of them:
the GRDII when you want to look badass (like Maggie)
the GX100 when it's the sad old fool look you're after (me of course).
:)

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

you've really got me thinking now about what I want in a compact camera! Here are the key aspects I'm aware of/considering... if anyone can see anything I'm missing, please let me know :)

Sigma DP1 vs Ricoh GX100

Sensor size :
DP1 wins on Dynamic Range, clean low ISO images, high ISO B&W
GX100 wins on high DOF, high ISO colour, macro performance

Camera ergonomics :
GX100 wins on size, handling, speed... mature and polished product

Plus, I can buy a GX100 today for less than half the price of a Sigma DP1 which won't be available for another 2 or 3 weeks...

Have I missed anything?

Kind Regards

Brian
Hmmm. only the badass factor I think.
Mind you, I think that the DP1 has a fairly poor badass quotient (it's the way the lens comes out so far! Note that in that nice brochure there isn't a single shot of the camera with the lens extended).

I certainly can't see any flaws in your argument (which is why after looking at the DP1 I bought a GX-100).
I also like the GX100 high(ish) ISO black and white - refined it ain't, funky it is.

E

ellemand

YES off-course (but I have to admit, that I have the GRD, the GRD2 AND the Leica d-lux 3) so I think, that I'm not the right guy to answer the question :angel::D

Brian Mosley

Of course, you could simply get both of them:
the GRDII when you want to look badass (like Maggie)
the GX100 when it's the sad old fool look you're after (me of course).
:)
Well, since I'm going on your recommendation (and that of other forum members I trust) on the ergonomics, I will probably go with the GX100 and consider the GRDII next...

A big factor I missed out above was IS - this is one of the major pros of the GX100 over the DP1 for me... that shot at 1/2 second above looks pretty sharp Jono - and I'm not talking about your shoes! lol

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

p.s. quick question... would you recommend saving the money on the evf and putting it towards the optical viewfinder(s) instead?

Kind Regards

Brian

M

Mitch Alland

Brian, I am not concerned about IS on these cameras: while I haven't really tested the one on the GX100 my impression is that it's not something one can rely on — sometimes it works other times it does not. And for a 28mm EFL lens like the ones on the DP1 and the GRD2 IS is not that important because one can handhold at 1/30 and at 1/15 sec — I've also had some GRD shots successful handholding at 1/8 sec.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/