The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re-discovering the GX-100

Lili

Get a used GR1, as I did, with the GH-1, GW-1 and GV-1 all for only $450.00 CAD, and you will never look back! Shoot in jpeg and RAW if you need and have the time... and who needs Barrel Distortion ? This combo has become my ersatz M4/21 SA and I love it totally... even more so because of the low cost. Oh, I almost forgot, it also came with a 2 GiG card and 4 batteries ! Bought off of Flickr.

Bernard
Very very good buy Veriwide. At this point I prefer the GRD first gen for its far more biting jpeg's. Also Tony at Popflash still has some at dicounted prices, he backs his stock perfectly.

As far as the choice of smooth versus smal sensor bite. IMHO I prefer the latter entirely now. It is like when I went wth the Hexar AF as my only film camera, I had just come off using a Fuji GSW690 that I'd been loaned.
Hi speed film, the bite of grain, and above all the fluid speed and ease of carry won the day for me.
And even more so with my GRD.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Re: Re-discovering GX-100 / Crisis of confidence

I took these two using the D-Lux 3 when I had that and the E400 with me. In the beach shot, the light was so low I needed the IS capability and was happy to eschew any extra sharpness the E400 might give me, and in the second, the wide format was something I wanted ...

As it turned out, I was glad I did use the small sensor cam as it give the look I was after.
(by the way - nice forum, this!)

Nice pictures - I especially like the first one, and I quite agree, there are times when there's nothing like a small sensor.

It's a fine forum, high on information, good humour and interesting ladies, and low on aggravation, bad temper and big egos.
:)

Brian Mosley

Hi Rich,

this (along with Mitch's) work above, reminds me that I have a cracking small sensor camera in the Panasonic LX1... here's a shot from way back when I was using it more regularly :

And the Panasonic FX01 was an absolute gem of a camera... I really miss it now!

The post-FX01 cams went too far with the VenusIII smeared resolution imho... I wish I could find a supplier of the FX01 new.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Helen, these are in the Peak District, near to where I live in Sheffield.

I'll be arranging another UK Photo Safari in this area in due course... you'd be welcome to visit!

And thanks Maggie, no I haven't - although I've just bought a mat cutting machine, so maybe that would be a good exercise! Glad you like it :)

Kind Regards

Brian

Robert Campbell

Re: Re-discovering GX-100 / Crisis of confidence

Jono, you have changed quite a lot -- something to do with sitting on the Aga? :)

kai.e.g.

I'm both relieved and frustrated simultaneously that other people are going through the same hair-tearing experience I am over the GX100 vx GRD2 decision. It's kind of a "practicality vs. bad-ass".... "flexibility vs. best-of-breed"... "jack-of-all-trades vs. expert in one trade" kind of decision. Maybe boiling it down to bad-ass vs. practical is the best approach; forget the specs, focus on the cred :)

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'm nearly as bad-ass as I'd like to think I am, which possibly should point me towards the practicalities of the GX100. But I want the best quality, and of course I want to be somewhat bad-ass, even if I don't remotely look the part in my daggy [is that an Australianism?] clothes, and driving a dusty Renault Clio.

Using gourmet-travel show personalities as analogies, I imagine Anthony Bourdain would carry the GRD/2, while Andrew Zimmer would carry a GX100.

Lili

Hi Rich,

this (along with Mitch's) work above, reminds me that I have a cracking small sensor camera in the Panasonic LX1... here's a shot from way back when I was using it more regularly :

And the Panasonic FX01 was an absolute gem of a camera... I really miss it now!

The post-FX01 cams went too far with the VenusIII smeared resolution imho... I wish I could find a supplier of the FX01 new.

Brian, they are all lovely, I like the third one best, positively lyrical it is!
And I'm very impressed with the FX01 especially.
This weekend I shot almost 500 shots with my GRD, mostly B&W, and just under 100 with my F6000fd, in color mostly and where I *really* needed the reach. Together both cameras complimented each other well and still massed less, even with both lenses and adapters for the GRD, than my K100D and the lenses needed to cover the same range!

Maggie O

Using gourmet-travel show personalities as analogies, I imagine Anthony Bourdain would carry the GRD/2, while Andrew Zimmer would carry a GX100.
Not surprisingly, I prefer Tony. (But my SO is more like Andrew.)

Aside from the badassery factor, one more thing in the GR-D II's favor is the idea that from limitations comes creativity. It's like writing a sonnet, as opposed to free verse.

jonoslack

Aside from the badassery factor, one more thing in the GR-D II's favor is the idea that from limitations comes creativity. It's like writing a sonnet, as opposed to free verse.
Not a clue who Tony and Andrew are.
as for the limitations / creativity argument . . . . why not use a pinhole?
:p

Lili

Or Haiku, even ;)

helenhill

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'm nearly as bad-ass as I'd like to think I am, which possibly should point me towards the practicalities of the GX100. But I want the best quality, and of course I want to be somewhat bad-ass, even if I don't remotely look the part in my daggy [is that an Australianism?] clothes, and driving a dusty Renault Clio.
Actually you're whole rant had me hysterical
I was in the same dilemma but now am PURRfectly content w/my GR2
All the Best :eek: helen

jonoslack

Ah - but daggy or not, living in Italy means that you beat us all hands down in badasseryness!

kai.e.g.

I was in the same dilemma but now am PURRfectly content w/my GR2
All the Best :eek: helen
I've heard that so often now that I really shouldn't be fretting the decision anymore. In my heart, I know it's the right way to go.

Happy to make people hysterical whenever possible!! :D

7ian7

The "badass" thing is being taken a bit far; a great picture taken with a GX100 is still better than an OK one taken with a GRD2, and visa versa. The oohs and aahs about pictures from these two cameras have been fairly evenly distributed around here. And for what it's worth, a thoroughly un-sexy $150 manual Pentax K1000 kit loaded with Tri-X or Kodacolor Gold still blows both of them away, if you're talking about capture speed and IQ.

Mitch, I don't subscribe to the M8/dSLR-as-medium-format analogy. 35mm film has way more dynamic tonal range than either of those options, and way, way more than the Ricohs. And in terms of size, street imagery was invented and maybe perfected with cameras that are larger than the GRD2. Its body-size is amazing, but it still poses capture speed and resolution compromises that the pre-digital tiny cameras didn't.

I've made plenty of wow-type imagery with the GX100, but I've come up against capture/focus-speed and resolution issues time and time again. So in a way it makes the successes feel a bit like a parlor trick. I'm usually an apologist for these limitations — practically an evangelist because on some level I love the Ricohs. But these issues have begun to erode my confidence and question the wisdom of committing to a camera that has failed me in circumstances where a better camera wouldn't have.

I'm sorry if questioning the wisdom of using small sensor cameras in a small sensor forum is out of line, but there it is.