The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Huge DOF vs Bokeh

M

Mitch Alland

To me, a "touch of bokeh" as you put it is frequently all an image needs. However, with wide angle shots, a small sensor camera frequently renders no bokeh whatsoever, which can compromise the sense of depth. For example, here is an image of mine (sorry, posted this before but I think it works as an example here) with the GX100 at 24mm, where I think a bit of blur in the distance would have been an improvement...
The first picture I posted above — the o-o-f samlor and the infocus cactus has the type of smooth blur that that most people would call "good bokeh". Nevertheless, I don't like the picture now because, as I said, I find it trite and gimmicky. In contrast, here is a Summilux-50 — pre-ASPH of course! — shot at f/1.4 whose bokeh I like and find effective in the structure of the composition:

What I like a about the 40mm tele-converter is that if you take a portrait at f/2.4 in which the subject is, say, 1–1.5m away you get the "touch of bokeh" that I like, as in the portrait I posted above.

But there are other ways than blurring the background of isolating the subject: one way is to burn in what you want to de-emphasize, as I have done with the man in the GX100/ISO 800 picture below that I posted in another thread. So man does not need to live by bokeh alone — a technique that I learned by looking at lot of Moriyama Daido photographs, which are often heavily manipulted: sometimes so heavily and obviously that you realize that he is saying, "hey, this is a photograph not the real thing" like Magrittle's painting Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/