The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 at the beach

Will

Went with family to Aldeburgh in Suffolk yesterday.

My son is hooked on photography as well. Daughter giving helpful critical eye.

And one on the high street.

Lili

Will, all lovely shots but that beach shot, in its original size is...there are no words for each pebble being so precisely delineated...plus on the horizon there is a ship...all this in a pocket camera!
:eek::D

Don Ellis

Went with family to Aldeburgh in Suffolk yesterday.
I think the beach plant might look better centred, but otherwise Beautiful! :D

And the kids are great.

But the car is just amazing -- not only for your photo but for its sheer existence.

Thanks for those... I may have to start looking for more interesting things to photograph than what I've been doing. :p

Don

Will

Lili thanks. I have to confess that I processed that beach shot a bit more than I probably should have just to show off that amazing detail. Your right though, it is stunning coming out of such a small camera.

Thanks Don and I agree on the centralizing, in fact I had already cropped the file a bit to try and do just that.

The car was a real wonder. Seeing it in an old street with small terraced brick houses made it really shout out to be photographed. My son got some good close up shots as well. Maybe I'll put up the link to his Flickr page when he has had the time to upload them.

Don't know what you mean about getting more interesting things to photograph, I always love your shots.

pollobarca

Detail from this camera is great, plus knowing how to use the detail. Second pic you can see the Kite strings.The beach looks great and I think you've got a great compromise between all those details ,clouds ,sea, pebbles and the plant.Works for me.
That car looks like something a south london gangster would have driven ( I'm from Tooting...). There was one in my road who always had big american motors.A contrast with the small terraced houses.

Don Ellis

Thanks Don and I agree on the centralizing, in fact I had already cropped the file a bit to try and do just that.
Will, we don't talk enough that you know me... I was joking, because I thought it was perfectly centred, which I loved. Sometimes you can forget that Rule of Thirds to great advantage... as you have.

The car was a real wonder. Seeing it in an old street with small terraced brick houses made it really shout out to be photographed. My son got some good close up shots as well. Maybe I'll put up the link to his Flickr page when he has had the time to upload them.
Ah, yes, the era when men were men and fins were FINS. Amazing... so beautiful. Your shot was like being there.

Don't know what you mean about getting more interesting things to photograph, I always love your shots.
Thank you, that's kind. But the best I've been doing lately is trying to find something at lunctimes or taking the cat's photo. The DP2 deserves better. :p

Stay centred,
Don

smokysun

smokysun

will,
the more i look at these, the more i think this is one way to really draw the best from the camera. everything in focus, precise framing, as though you were using a view camera. the thing is: the detail was there in the file for you to bring out.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

jonoslack

Lovely Will . . . but why didn't you come for tea!!!!
I come from Cornwall originally where the sea is blue and clear, I always remember the first time I swam in Aldeburgh, I dived under the water and when I opened my eyes I didn't expect to see anything . . .but I didn't expect it to be dark!

The car shot is lovely, and so are your kids AND the centred sea plant. . interesting to see that the DP1 makes reds pink though . . I thought it was only the M8 which did that!

Will

Wayne I know what you mean about passing on the torch. I have encouraged my children to rage against the wrong in the world and wonder at the beauty. It's nicer wondering about the beauty though and it warms my heart when I see them doing that.
The DP1 does excel at, everything in focus detailed, images and that almost 3d illusion that makes you feel you could step in. More like slide than negative film and it's making me hyper critical of digital looking files.

Jono that tea sounds like a good idea next time I'm out that way:)

Pink reds and blown highlights on strong yellows are a problem with the DP1 for me. Having said that my son took pictures with his 420 of that life belt that weren't pink enough so sometimes you can't win.