The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRD III is officially revealed

D

ddk

Everything sounds good I'm looking forward to its release, just hoping that they've improved the af system in this model, otherwise I'm passing if its the same as GRD2.

Tim

Everything sounds good I'm looking forward to its release, just hoping that they've improved the af system in this model, otherwise I'm passing if its the same as GRD2.
This reported feature, might help..

"Also key to the new camera is the ability to set a fixed focusing distance. This feature enables 'zero' shutter lag - ideal for 'candid' photography when fast reactions are required, explained Kazunobu Saiki"

If you can set the fixed focusing distance based on the hyperfocal distance of f1.9 for infinity, then this would take focusing at all out of the process. All you'd have to do is take photos based on more than the minimum distance and snap away.

I'll be hoping that IQ is up a bit. Its likely that a GRD III is in my future as I have results that I am quite happy with from my GRD II.

D

ddk

This reported feature, might help..

"Also key to the new camera is the ability to set a fixed focusing distance. This feature enables 'zero' shutter lag - ideal for 'candid' photography when fast reactions are required, explained Kazunobu Saiki"

If you can set the fixed focusing distance based on the hyperfocal distance of f1.9 for infinity, then this would take focusing at all out of the process. All you'd have to do is take photos based on more than the minimum distance and snap away.

I'll be hoping that IQ is up a bit. Its likely that a GRD III is in my future as I have results that I am quite happy with from my GRD II.
Hyperfocal photography is fine for certain times and this feature is a great addition but its not a cure for a poor af system. I know from experience that I want accurate and fast af in these small cameras, hence I still use my GRD1 regularly while the GRD2 is sitting on the shelf collecting dust for the most part.

N

nei1

Does this mean its a 28mm or a 35mm lens or is it a typo?
"'fast' 28mm [35mm viewing angle equivalent] f/1.9 lens. "

Tim

Does this mean its a 28mm or a 35mm lens or is it a typo?
"'fast' 28mm [35mm viewing angle equivalent] f/1.9 lens. "
Its badly written isn't it, abbreviated for a news item I suspect..

I read it to mean, its a 6mm lens but due to the sensor size that then equates to the angle of view of a 28mm lens as used on a "35mm film type camera".

28mm (as in 35mm film) is 75 degrees on the diagonal

Hope thats as clear as mud ;)

cjlacz

Trying to go through the Japanese page, but it's slow going.

They say they've increased the AF speed quite a bit, and they say it's a lot better in low light. AF starts at a half press.

The fixed focal thing is actually kind of cool. You can set it at 1m, 2.5m, 5m or infinity. If you press the shutter button all at once, it will shoot at that set focal distance immediately. Allowing you to catch the moment so to speak.

So basically you can shoot using AF with a half button press on the shutter, or shoot prefocused by a quick full button press.

cjlacz

It also sounds like they have a mode where AF is active (or at least part of the system) which even a half press on the shutter. Seems like it's some implementation of continous focus for moving subjects. It does say it drains power faster with it on.

Looks like my settings have been upgraded too. Now you can store 6 my settings and pick which three are assigned to the my settings. Very cool. Love the second function button.

Last edited:

Will

Looks like there are some rather nice additions, but the faster lens is the big one for me.

N

nei1

Its badly written isn't it, abbreviated for a news item I suspect..

I read it to mean, its a 6mm lens but due to the sensor size that then equates to the angle of view of a 28mm lens as used on a "35mm film type camera".

28mm (as in 35mm film) is 75 degrees on the diagonal

Hope thats as clear as mud ;)
thanks Tim,I thought as much;...........just a veign hope that it was to be a 35mm lens.:(

O

Oxide Blu

From Ricoh's global website: http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gr/gr_digital3/

The manual is not online at Ricoh's website, yet.

Also, not that it necessary means anything, but Ricoh's corp profits are off by something like 97%.

ETA: GF-1 EXTERNAL FLASH -- AVAILABLE IN FALL 2009 !!! :thumbup: :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:

O

Oxide Blu

I don't know how they do it, either. I'm in Japan, checked the Ricoh website this afternoon -- nothing. Checked it again at 7:30pm -- it's there!

Rawfa

It was the same with the D90 and the E-P1. Before it was even availble they had already reviewed it. And I can assure you this website is trust worthy.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Email already off to Tony and Alex at Popflash asking when they will be having then and are they making a list.

O

Oxide Blu

Uses a DB-65 battery!!! :angry: The GRD and GRDII use a DB-60. :wtf:

Has pre focus, Ricoh's version of auto tracking, works without depressing the shutter release.

Also has the ability for the user to preset a focus distance (1.5m, 3m, snapshot, infinity ...) so when you quickly hit the shutter release the camera does not auto focus, instead it immediately takes a pic at the preset distance. :thumbs: