The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRD III is officially revealed

O

Oxide Blu

Will that flash work for the GX100 too? Hope so!

Probably not. Ricoh's website is saying the GF-1 flash is only supported on the GRDiii, and for flash units for the GRDii and GX200 see the recommendations in the manuals (Sigma is recommended).

O

Oxide Blu

This is interesting, the GRD3 has 4-times the shutter lag of the GRD2:

Shutter release time lag (from the focus lock):

GX200 -- Approx. 0.011 sec.

.GRDII -- Approx. 0.007 sec.

GRDIII -- Approx. 0.030 sec.

V

VladimirV

Raw let's me control the image not some in camera algorhytm. Shooting JPEG's is like have film processed at the drugstore.

I want the image to look like what my vision of it is not an in camera shooting style.
This is true and you are right but what I wanted to say is that not every picture will be worth spending time to process it so having good JPGs is important and having JPGs to see how a picture would look in b&w, sepia or with a different color filter is a helpful starting point for any RAW processing (IMO). You don't have to use the JPG but you can use it if you want, the RAW file will always be there in case you want to process it and get more out of it.

This is why I don't understand why people would choose to shoot only RAW, especially if there is really no gain by doing it.

If I shoot only to develop a RAW file I am more sloppy and don't care too much about the WB, getting the exposure right because it can be done in photoshop later. This is fine but I tend to get better results if I shoot to get the image right in the JPGs instead of relying on RAW to fix things.

Tim

RAW only makes one too sloppy and means you don't need to care about exposure, white balance or even composition because all can be fixed in RAW. A good JPG is not far behind a RAW file in my opinion but a RAW file can be easier salvaged if one is sloppy (as I am when using the GRD II with the useless JPGs).
I agree here. If you are interested in IQ, which I think we all are, then you get the best out of a RAW buy exposing it as best you can from the start within the parameters of the camera.

I generally use the out of camera jpg IF its good enough, but this is quite subjective - each to their own judgement I believe, there is no right or wrong answer I think, if you have the time to process all RAWs, and want to, go for it I say, but I don't have time so often the jpg suffices.

Often my image is for postcard print only, and the jpg will suffice and I can spend time taking images. I do always record RAW as well though (space is cheap), because you never know when you might get a cracker of an image and wish to PP for best and biggest - this has happened often lately. My GRD II and LX3 have yielded some.

Tim

Yes, I have the GR-DII and the 1.9 lens makes it a winner for me. I'm on the list...
John, I agree 100%, that 1.9 lens makes it too hard to pass up - its what 1/2 stop brighter? There are so many incremental improvements but keeping the same winning formula that I will be in for one too. My GRD II has yielded too many good images. I will however be keeping my GRD II.

I'm keen to see some RAW files :bugeyes: - or some other full size sample jpgs other than Ricoh's own samples. :LOL:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
John, I agree 100%, that 1.9 lens makes it too hard to pass up - its what 1/2 stop brighter? There are so many incremental improvements but keeping the same winning formula that I will be in for one too. My GRD II has yielded too many good images. I will however be keeping my GRD II.

I'm keen to see some RAW files :bugeyes: - or some other full size sample jpgs other than Ricoh's own samples. :LOL:
Same here, I'll be keeping the GR-DII.