The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

copied from the 4/3s forum

smokysun

Re: DP1 vs E-P1 again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like everybody, i love these equipment discussions! it looks like the ep1 a great street camera. the dp1, for me, is really medium format, slow to use but with incredible detail. (the dp1 has a larger sensor and one-third the pixel density of the ep1. this is bound to make a difference.)

usability vs. iq still the big issue. the richoh gx100 has the finest setup (and if i had the gx200 with a better lcd and very fast raw write times, i'd feel even better). yet the pictures will have a rougher quality, the sensor one-third the size of the dp1.

a great deal today, on the ep1 and lenses at fred miranda. i just have to remember how digital cameras fall in value unless they've the leica name on them. so, resisting the temptation, but i'd love to try the ep1.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i just went to dpreview to make sure i had the pixel density info correct:

canon 5dII - 2.4

canon 1dsIII - 2.4

leica m8.2 - 2.1

nikon d3x - 2.8

olympus ep1 - 5.1

and the winner is the sigma dp1 - 1.6

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne, No doubt the DP1 is a great camera. I am waiting for
the update to ACR before I compare IQ with the Oly... But
the Oly has some things about it that are very, very nice.
We'll see soon......but not soon enuff....don

smokysun

hi don,
looked through the pics. as usual, i like your eye. it's lots of fun. at the same time we'll have to wait on the software. my only claim for the dp1 is that is gives the results of a rolliflex instead of a leica. i collect books of paris post-war photographs. you can really tell the difference in the cameras used, even in the best hands, say hcb and kertesz versus doisneau. doisneau gets tons of calenders and exposure these days, not just because his people delightful but because of his rolliflex silvery detail. that's what i saw in will's b&w long ago and why i bought the camera. and will's recent beach pics confirm it in color. he really knows how to use the dp1.
so, it's the detail where the dp1 shines. and for those kinds of pictures i think it will be hard to beat.
keep em coming.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

O

Oxide Blu

and the winner is the sigma dp1 - 1.6

I demand the right to ask a(nother) stupid question!!! :D

Doesn't the DP1 use a Foveon sensor -- and isn't the Foveon really using 3 individual sensors cells for each pixel, e.g. wouldn't a pix density of 1.6 for a Foveon really be 3-times that, 4.6 ???