The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

hong kong

nostatic

Well, I managed to catch a nasty bug while in Hong Kong, and it has taken awhile to get the energy to look through photos. I finally got some that are ok. I am constantly inspired by the great b&w stuff that I see here, so I tried to do my own versions. I still feel like I'm not nearly "there", but as Pema Chödrön says, "start where you are."

nostatic

no 1 just "happened." I looked up and went, "whoa." And the DL3 is perfect for it due to the 16x9. Its funny with your tools/toys. Sometimes you get ones that you are totally enamored with at the start, but over time start to lose interest. Others have an initial spark to suck you in, push you back a bit with some of their foilbles, but then start to really shine in your hands. I am quite enthralled with the DL3 now. I'm starting to get what its about and can be about...and it turns out it is quite a lot. I really hope they do a DL4 with a few tweaks. I love the concept. The Pentax was much more hit and miss during the trip, and fankly didn't see as much use for the obvious reason - more to carry. I've even pondered taking back the K10d and going dslr-less. But the reality is that in my day job I'm increasingly being one of the "visual guys". And if you show up to shoot a project with a p&s, you will get very funny looks. Sadly, the dslr is needed for street cred. In my case, I'm migrating from shooting auto to more manual control and with the Pentax I just need more practice and learn more about wtf I'm doing. And I keep telling myself that at $700 with the kit lens for 10mp, shake reduction in the body, sensor cleaning, full weather seals, and good ergonomics, that is a hell of a deal. Just buy good glass (first on the list is an of SMC A 50/1.4, or maybe a Voigtlander 40/2.0) and learn the tool. I'm down on auto focus anyway, as I like to *feel* what is going on with the shot. I have a driving analogy about my track car but that's for another rant. Short story (from a long book I'm working on) is that we're analog beings shooting analog subjects with digital tools - and there is an inherent problem found in that which requires critical attention.

gromitspapa

Really enjoyed that series. Really like the composition and rendering on 1, 2, 6, 7, and 10. 10 makes me think of Blade Runner, Ridley.

Terry

I like the series expecially your first one. The obligatory shot doesn't always come off because that was a pretty clear night. Not sure I would really want to eat at those places LOL. What did you use for processing and were you shooting RAW?

nostatic

Actually, most of those were shot jpg (gasp). I switch between raw and jpg during the day depending on how much space I have on my card. I'm pretty sure those are all from the D-Lux 3, although I did take some shots with my K10d (not many keepers though).

PP was in Aperture 2. Basically apply monochrome mixer, then increase contrast and definition, tweak exposure then play with shadow and highlight to get something I liked. I haven't read the manual so I don't really know what the sliders are actually doing...I just mess with them until something works. I'm an empiricist. Or lazy. Or both.

No worries on the cookeries...the food in Hong Kong totally rocks. Clay pot is cheap and tasty...and it gets so hot no bacteria could possibly survive :p