The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bee Prepared

Don Ellis

I guess I'll keep the G9...

Canon G9, Canon Macro Lenses 250D and 500D (total +6 diopters), ISO80, 1/100s, f/4.

This is Leela's new friend... he's been keeping watch on our front gate for the last week, seldom leaving the bamboo fence next to it. She'd love for him to guard someplace else, but he's pretty settled and she's pretty kind, so she scoots around him on the way out.

Before heading off for work this morning I thought I would photograph him, so I broke out the G9 for the first time since I bought the DP2. One of the advantages of a small sensor is the increased depth of field. It's not something you want very often, but it's useful for macro shots, especially when you're not on a tripod and can't increase the f-stop because of its effect on shutter speed.

But first, I had to leave the camera and both macro lenses outside for 20 minutes to get them warmed up and fog-free... the humidity was probably 95% this morning.

Breakfast over, I was ready to shoot him on his bamboo perch, but I only got a few frames before he took off and headed for the bougainvillea. He just wouldn't go back. I thought it was me but then I looked closer and found a preying mantis a few inches below his favourite spot. Obviously, he's not a dumbee... just an annoyed one.

Don

Don Ellis

Bee's Buddy

This is what was upsetting Mr. Bee... the uninvited breakfast guest (who brought his own utensils). The bee's favourite bamboo stalk is the one on the right and it ends about an inch above this photo, so the mantis was quite close...

E

EWR72

Both photos are excellent with great detail and colour. Nice work Don:thumbs:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nice shots, DOF is something I miss when using medium format.
I suppose that Mr. Bee would not have had the patience for me to get out the rangers and the beauty dish. Obviously, ok, hold that pose, would have been irrelevant.
-bob

Don Ellis

Thank you all for the nice comments... it was a nice to handle the G9 again. It's been long enough that it was like a new camera, without the new camera cost. :p

Bob... you might be surprised. Mr. Bee gets annoyed, files in a big loop and comes right back to one of four landing spots (three this morning, with Mr. Mantis taking one). I watched this behaviour, so I focused the first shot just before he flew off and snapped it just when he came back for a landing.

I just grabbed my tripod from the office, so maybe I'll be able to push the f-stop even higher tomorrow morning... assuming he's still there.

I'll let you know.
Don

smokysun

love them, don. and that's why i can never sell a camera. they do become new again and exciting to use.

best,
wayne
pbase.com/wwp

Don Ellis

love them, don. and that's why i can never sell a camera. they do become new again and exciting to use.
Thanks, Wayne... there's another reason I can't sell the G9 -- it's the most complete compact camera system I own. Besides the camera, I've got Richard Franiec's grip, hot shoe cover, black ring and cable release adapter. A Lensmate adapter. A wide-angle and teleconverter, both with bayonet adapters. Four Canon macro lenses. A polarizer. A Really Right Stuff L-bracket. And half a dozen batteries (I always laugh when I hear that someone say that for safety they take an extra battery with them -- I tend to carry a battery bandolier. :p)

As with much of your camera equipment, you quickly learn that the camera is just the down-payment. :D

Take care,
Don

Don Ellis

Awfully good, Don.
And just before I turn the computer off for the night, your message. Thanks very much. I'll sleep well... and if the bee is there tomorrow, I might even try a tripod. If not, I'll be content with these... it's been a while since I've shot any animal macros.

Don