The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1994 - first color consumer digicam

4season

I had a Quicktake 100! But I only used it at it's highest-quality (hah!) setting which looked a lot better. I had archived those photos as TIFFs and recently went back and cleaned them up in Aperture, and thought they looked the best that I had seen them to date. For a 640x480 camera with plenty of aliasing and almost no dynamic range, that is.

4season

Was that before the Sony Mavica?
That camera used floppy disc but was a gas to use.....
I recall the earliest Mavicas being more like video capture devices. The idea being that you'd view your photos on the TV and print them on a (Sony) video printer. Computers didn't figure into this at all. The digital Mavica with floppy disk storage came some time later IIRC.

Tex

Subscriber Member
Brad, I had one of these "high tech" wonders back than BUT in 1997 I bought a SERIOUS pro model (Olympus 100/1000 ?) that took 1 meg images - cost $1,100. Actually a pretty neat camera - I still have some great prints from it.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Remember that Nikon 800/900 something...with that articulated body.....
That was a cool camera.....not bad for $850.00...
back then.....

bradhusick

Remember that five years after the QuickTake, Nikon introduced the D1 and our world was forever changed. That 2.54 Megapixel camera produced images that are still hanging on my wall.

O

Oxide Blu

Thanks for the link. Amazing how much those old digital pix look like the new digital pix I make today. :eek: :D

O

Oxide Blu

Here's a great timeline of digicams from 1995 to the present:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/timeline.asp?start=2009

That timeline only goes back to 1995?!?

I'm thinking (maybe wrongly) the first consumer digital camera was Logitec's Fotoman, recorded a gray scale, maybe 1990ish. And I think that same year the 1st consumer digital camera to capture color was released in Japan.

I think that Apple digital camera is the first consumer digital camera to be married to a computer, e.g. required an Apple computer to download images, a marketing scheme that has become legendary with Apple.

agoglanian

I still have a Quicktake 100! it's in absolutely pristine condition!

I wish I could use it, but I have no way to interface with it lol.

I'll post a photo of it sometime soon :)

Otto

I think the timeline is a little off. I purchased my Sony Mavica FD7 in the summer of '97. My first digital was the Logitech Fotoman Plus bought in summer of '93. I still have it, and it still works. Unfortunately, I don't have a Win 3.1 system to download the photos any longer. I was wondering if a serial to USB adapter might work, and if XP would recognize it as a drive?

I, also, had a Casio QV-300 during that '97-'98 time frame. Had a few more FD7's and an FD-91 back then.

Things are much better now.

Otto...