The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Sigma DP series cameras coming later this year?

A

asabet

Check this out: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=27021078

Sigma is apparently planning to release two more compacts, in addition to the DP1, later this year. This information reportedly comes via an Amateur Photographer (AP) interview of Sigma's founder Michiro Yamaki. The relevant quote from the AP article states "Expect to see two more compact cameras by the end of the year was the surprise news from Sigma's founder Michiro Yamaki during an exclusive meeting with AP." AP went on to speculate that these cameras may be similar to the DP1 but with different focal lengths and/or optical zoom capability.

I would love to see a Sigma DP series camera with a longer lens than the DP1. 40mm (equivalent) would be perfect. Given this preference, the AP interview caused me to consider cancelling my DP1 pre-order. However, I've decided against that since 1) I don't want to wait another 6 months or longer, and 2) I imagine carrying around two Sigma DPs of different focal lengths will work very well for me. That said, it makes no sense for Sigma to release this news now.

Brian Mosley

Hi Amin,

If the DP1 was $400 then I guess you could justify having a body per focal length... but as it is, this is the worst imaginable news by Sigma wrt helping the successful launch of the DP1.

Even more pressure to hold off ordering the DP1. I wonder if they're struggling to get production volumes up & trying to suppress initial demand?

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

Hi Amin,

If the DP1 was $400 then I guess you could justify having a body per focal length... but as it is, this is the worst imaginable news by Sigma wrt helping the successful launch of the DP1.

Even more pressure to hold off ordering the DP1. I wonder if they're struggling to get production volumes up & trying to suppress initial demand?

Kind Regards

Brian
I think it's a good idea - it certainly makes it seem more attractive to me rather than less - one in each pocket maybe?

A

asabet

If the DP1 was $400 then I guess you could justify having a body per focal length...
Plenty of good prime lenses go for $800 and up. As you can see, I'm already working to justify having a body per focal length at the current price point :D.

Lili

Actually this is of interest to me.
If there are no huge technical hurdles, a DP-2 with 40 or 50mm efl lens might be really useful. Especially if it were say 2.8 or faster.
As per TEB, even if it made the camera the size of A Canonet GIII I would be very intrigued.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Lili,

You hit the key point with any future DP-1's. It's got to have a faster lens.

jonoslack

Lili,

You hit the key point with any future DP-1's. It's got to have a faster lens.
and smaller too please - this one is quite a length when extended - noticeably not shown in the brochure.

I'm convinced by the principle, but I was certainly disappointed with the reality of the Sigma.

Olympus could make a lovely camera - 4/3 sensor and an optical viewfinder . . . . oh, yes, they already have (E410)!

Lili

and smaller too please - this one is quite a length when extended - noticeably not shown in the brochure.

I'm convinced by the principle, but I was certainly disappointed with the reality of the Sigma.

Olympus could make a lovely camera - 4/3 sensor and an optical viewfinder . . . . oh, yes, they already have (E410)!
Smaller? Perhaps, I've not handled one yet. I have handled the Oly E-410 and it is a very good size, sadly the only pancake lens for it are third party and only supported with manual focus and aperture.
Olympus or Sigma! Wake up and smell the compact-camera-with-fast-lenses-coffee!!!

Brian Mosley

Smaller? Perhaps, I've not handled one yet. I have handled the Oly E-410 and it is a very good size, sadly the only pancake lens for it are third party and only supported with manual focus and aperture.
Olympus or Sigma! Wake up and smell the compact-camera-with-fast-lenses-coffee!!!
Hi Lili,

let's hope we get our wish with the E-420. I don't think the DP1 is compact enough to compete with an E-400 series & fast compact prime. All we need is a reasonably compact fast prime! my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 is good, but EFL of 80mm and manual focusing. I'd like a native ZD prime please!

Kind Regards

Brian