The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blackened White GRDll Head Shots

clay stewart

The truth is, before getting a Ricoh, I never really gave the 28 mm focal length much attention. After using the GRD, for a few months, I've really started to see the strengths, of a 28 mm, as an all around lens. I can see why People like Winogrand liked it.

It seems to work even for head shots, with out pronounced facial distortion.

Admin Edit . Just FYI first shot came from a DSLR but I am leaving it since it is very nice capture indeed. Guy
The gear is always second to the image

Last edited:

Lili

Clay,
Nice series of portraits, i love the atmosphere evoked in the first one most.
The Guy in the hard hat, i love the near glare
welcome to 28mm fanciers ^_^

clay stewart

The first shot is really quite nice and the DOF is surprisingly shallow.
Oops, my mistake, the first one was from a DSLR. TEBnewyork, when you said the DOF was really shallow, I had to look again at the jpeg and although I've been using the GRD almost exclusively, every once and I while I pick up a DSLR and snap a few. I'll remove that one.

Well, I guess it's too late, the edit button has disappeared. Don't know if I like the format of this forum, since you can't edit your posts much.

V

VladimirV

The pictures are really good, like the first (although from a dSLR ;) ) and the 3rd, like the expression.

I've used the GRD as my only camera (aside from a few occasions where I used the GR1 or GX) for years now and really like the 28mm format as it forces me to see things different and get closer. Since getting the 21mm and 40mm adapter I found that I prefer using the 21mm, as I can get even closer, than the 40mm, where I tend to take a few steps back.

Terry

Oops, my mistake, the first one was from a DSLR. TEBnewyork, when you said the DOF was really shallow, I had to look again at the jpeg and although I've been using the GRD almost exclusively, every once and I while I pick up a DSLR and snap a few. I'll remove that one.

Well, I guess it's too late, the edit button has disappeared. Don't know if I like the format of this forum, since you can't edit your posts much.
You get about an hour for edit but after that Jack and Guy said it gets too hard to keep the posts making sense if people can edit too long after the fact and others have responded to that post. Not to worry on equipment, the shot is excellent.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I can still edit this if you want Clay but it is certainly okay to leave it and we have posts referring to it the 1st one, which is a nice shot BTW so I would not worry. I will put a note on it.

Yes, please leave it here for us all to see! I like it enough to brush the cobweb off my own D200....:D

But the goat is nice, too!