The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Umbrellas at Dusk

Don Ellis

Proving I'll photograph just about anything that crosses my path. :p
DP2, ISO200... click for larger image.

Don

Terry

Love it Don,
One rainy day in NY I spent the afternoon photographing people with their umbrellas. I wanted to see if the "look" of the person matched the colors/pattern of the umbrella. It was great fun with some really interesting results.

Don Ellis

Love it Don,
One rainy day in NY I spent the afternoon photographing people with their umbrellas. I wanted to see if the "look" of the person matched the colors/pattern of the umbrella. It was great fun with some really interesting results.
That's a great idea... fortunately, this shot was take pre-rain... people were getting ready for the inevitable. These small carts spring up in front of some of the fanciest shops... with someone always on the lookout for the Urban Services officers who will shoo them away -- or ticket them.

Thanks for the nice comment. This shot is more a glimpse of Hong Kong life than anything remarkable. But speaking of remarkable, that newly opened Omega shop seems to be their new flagship shop in the area... and at the other end of the short block is their other Omega shop! Hong Kong is proof that you can never have too many luxury watch shops. :)

Don

pollobarca

Like that Don, but why does it remind me of Oxford street...

While I was scrolling the screen down to see your pic I saw a possible crop I like.
Cutting out the curb and last few inches of the railing makes the umbrellas seem to move
into the pic. Just an idea. Very good exposure .

all the best
paul

Lili

Excellent Shot, Don. I like this as is, the lady marching in from stage right makes it for me..

D

D upton-Hackett.

lovely shot, risking your life to capture the moment:clap: did you get Honked at?

Derek.

Don Ellis

Like that Don, but why does it remind me of Oxford street...

While I was scrolling the screen down to see your pic I saw a possible crop I like.
Cutting out the curb and last few inches of the railing makes the umbrellas seem to move
into the pic. Just an idea. Very good exposure .

all the best
paul
Hi Paul... I sort of liked this particular crop, which is nearly full-frame. A different crop still leave you (me) with the lines on the street, so I figure, Why bother? And you're right about the exposure -- it's one of those things I've come to love about the DP2.

Thanks for the nice comment.
Don

Don Ellis

Excellent Shot, Don. I like this as is, the lady marching in from stage right makes it for me..
Hi Lili... yes, I like the lady marching in stage right... and the man marching out on the left. You just know it was planned. :p

Don

Don Ellis

lovely shot, risking your life to capture the moment:clap: did you get Honked at?
Derek.
Hi Derek... little risk except getting run over by pedestrians (always a possibility here). There's just one lane between the two sidewalks where the road narrows. If there's anything to fear, it's the stare of illegal street hawkers. :)

Don

bbodine9

Don,

Was this a handheld shot or tripod? What aperture was used? I like it a lot for the time of day and colors. Processed in SPP?

Last edited:

Don Ellis

Don,
Was this a handheld shot or tripod? What aperture was used? I like it a lot for the time of day and colors. Processed in SPP?
Hi Bruce... handheld. ISO200, f/2.8, 1/30s... and definitely processed in SPP.
Thank you for the comment...

Don