The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 vs Oly E420 vs GRD II

kai.e.g.

For people who like compact, though not pocketable, cameras, there's also the option of shooting an Epson R-D1 with Pancake lenses.

Cheers,

Sean
I saw an RD-1 displayed seductively in a shop window in Venice a few weeks ago, still brand new. No idea of price, but I can imagine!

cam

after reading through everybody's comments, i'm actually leaning towards the DP1 again... i still don't have a "real" camera (feel very inadequate when reading about how many everybody else has) and have been loathe to choose because of the costs of various lenses (an addiction in itself). as tempting as the new Oly is, i'd be going down that path. add the noisy shutter and it's definitely a no go.

does anybody know how quiet/loud the DP1 is in operation?

helenhill

Hey CAM

Just noticed /Pham Minh Son has just put up a FS: Sigma DP1 for $850.00
She probably can answer all your Questions...
Her camera collection is wild!!
Thanks for your Private Note and hope your feeling better :p
All the Best..... helen

helenhill

I'm kinda leaning toward a lust for the RD1 OR the DP1
(I find Olympus digital menus to be over the top..... the dlux 3 & Grd's menus are so Zen / Simple & to the point .no extra baggage so to speak) Cheers! Helen

Lili

after reading through everybody's comments, i'm actually leaning towards the DP1 again... i still don't have a "real" camera (feel very inadequate when reading about how many everybody else has) and have been loathe to choose because of the costs of various lenses (an addiction in itself). as tempting as the new Oly is, i'd be going down that path. add the noisy shutter and it's definitely a no go.

Cam,
Your Ricoh is very much a real camera.
And trust me, having all these cameras is just more to dust while cleaning; they deserve to be used and I feel bad for not doing so :(

cam

Cam,
Your Ricoh is very much a real camera.
And trust me, having all these cameras is just more to dust while cleaning; they deserve to be used and I feel bad for not doing so :(
though judging from one of your first 40mm shots, you dust about as much as i do... :ROTFL: (was that faster than 4.5???)

seriously, yes, both my GRD's are real -- my terminology was incorrect. i adore them and use them to the fullest and they suit my needs perfectly. guess i just suffer from size envy now and again....

thomasl.se

seriously, yes, both my GRD's are real -- my terminology was incorrect. i adore them and use them to the fullest and they suit my needs perfectly. guess i just suffer from size envy now and again....
You oghta get the GT-1; 40mm of pure pleasure! :toocool:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Just remember it is the brain behind the camera not what your holding in your hand that truly counts. Much rather have a good eye than a 60k in junk in front of it because if the eye can not get the image than anything you put in front of it will not matter. Never have gear envy my dear , it is a waste of energy and talent. From what i have seen you have the talent and the eye but just get something that is comfortable and easy to control for you. The rest will will from your talent. Lesson 1 about photography and my podium speech. LOL

When I teach at the workshops i could care less what gear folks have but what I do care about is getting in there head and teach them how to shoot. No gear in the world will do that for you. The hardest thing to teach and learn is having a great eye and seeing. When you get to that point nothing matters you will get the image no matter what you have in your hands. Gear is a tool to record your vision, that's it.

jonoslack

LOL - everybody's reassured you . . but nobody's answered your question!
It's silent (the DP1 that is), or as near as anything silent.

As for the reassurance - I absolutely second (third, fourth) what the others have said.
I'm only too clear that I have two passtimes:
1. spending unfeasibly large amounts of money on equipment and then bellyaching about sharpness/noise/colour/contrast when looking at 100%
2. taking photographs

The second has very little to do with the first (I just hope that I'm better at it!).

R

Ruhayat

Jono,

I saw the 420 with pancake lens and thought it looked very nice. Having played with a 410, it's a very compact package indeed. But then it's still an SLR, isn't it, with the loud slapping sound which you can't turn off. That's the reason why I choose to shoot with small sensor cameras: you'll get more shots than an SLR user.

I often go out shooting with a friend of mine who has a gigantic (comparatively) Fuji S5 Pro SLR camera. At events and shows I can shoot away while he can't because the mirror slap sound annoys people. And at restaurants or inside malls I can still shoot away while he can't because his camera is too big. Of course, when the conditions are right, that humongous SLR can do things that neither of my small cameras (GRD, D-Lux 3 and Digilux 2) are able to.

Lili

though judging from one of your first 40mm shots, you dust about as much as i do... :ROTFL: (was that faster than 4.5???)

ROFL, I dust a bit more nowadays ;)
4.5?
If your GRD's suit your needs perfectly then why worry?
Your work is stunning as it stands!
Guy is very very right; it is the photographer that matters most, without your mind and heart and eye, the camera can do Nothing.
Yes I too get tempted to buy new toys.
Part of me still longs for the GX-100.
Even tho with both add on lenses my GRD more than meets my carry camera needs.
As to the 420 or DP-1.
The former I consider maybe to replace my K100D if Pentax refuse to honor the warranty.
The latter is a very cool concept and oh so tempting.
But I need neither to shoot as I do now.
My GRD meets 70% of my needs and the S6000fd the rest.
Speaking of which I just got back from a session with the Fuji.
:)

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Guy, thanks for that - I'm getting camera discussion fatigue! Time to get off-line and on-track with my photography! lol

Hope to be back soon, to share some new pictures ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Excellent , I love you guy's being here no doubt but get your butts off the keyboard and go shoot . Than report. That was a order BTW. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Seriously though need to find time to work your craft. If your not shooting your not learning.

Lili

Excellent , I love you guy's being here no doubt but get your butts off the keyboard and go shoot . Than report. That was a order BTW. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Seriously though need to find time to work your craft. If your not shooting your not learning.
Actually that is why I am worn out right now, shooting all over Dallas, and NOT from my car! ;)

A

asabet

For anyone who's interested, I put up a demo of the DP1 RAW highlight headroom here.

cam

Just remember it is the brain behind the camera not what your holding in your hand that truly counts. Much rather have a good eye than a 60k in junk in front of it because if the eye can not get the image than anything you put in front of it will not matter. Never have gear envy my dear , it is a waste of energy and talent. From what i have seen you have the talent and the eye but just get something that is comfortable and easy to control for you. The rest will will from your talent. Lesson 1 about photography and my podium speech. LOL

When I teach at the workshops i could care less what gear folks have but what I do care about is getting in there head and teach them how to shoot. No gear in the world will do that for you. The hardest thing to teach and learn is having a great eye and seeing. When you get to that point nothing matters you will get the image no matter what you have in your hands. Gear is a tool to record your vision, that's it.
thank you, Guy, you do make an excellent cheerleader! i can picture you with pom-poms ;)

i totally understand it's the eye and not the gear, but can you blame me for lusting in the heart after an M8??? the GRDs are perfect for me and my style i love them to death. i seriously could not have found a more perfect match.

cam

LOL - everybody's reassured you . . but nobody's answered your question!
It's silent (the DP1 that is), or as near as anything silent.

As for the reassurance - I absolutely second (third, fourth) what the others have said.
I'm only too clear that I have two passtimes:
1. spending unfeasibly large amounts of money on equipment and then bellyaching about sharpness/noise/colour/contrast when looking at 100%
2. taking photographs

The second has very little to do with the first (I just hope that I'm better at it!).
thank you for answering my question! i do a majority of my shooting where silence is very important -- even when it's not stealth (which it often is). i will sometimes take multiples of somebody until they get so bored that they finally get bored, let their guard down, and stop posing. a noisy camera would not allow this. with the GRD i can often continue shooting and they don't even realise it. this has become very important to me! (i also can't help but love the 28mm for the similar reasons. i shoot with the camera in hand or around the neck, often without looking. a wider lens makes gives my guesstimate more chance of getting what i want.)

cam

ROFL, I dust a bit more nowadays ;)
4.5?
:)
the time i go from being a kitten...:ROTFL:

seriously, all, thank you for the encouragement. i blame this awful flu for making me obviously so needy. i promise to get back into the groove and play around this week before surgery on friday. i think i've just been psychologically protecting myself from withdrawal. the doc hasn't said how long i'll be banned from shooting yet. it may just be my own tolerance for pain. knowing me, i'll pick my camera up the second the novocaine wears off....

M

Mitch Alland

...The hardest thing to teach and learn is having a great eye and seeing. When you get to that point nothing matters you will get the image no matter what you have in your hands. Gear is a tool to record your vision, that's it.
While looking at photography monographs is useful and can give you ideas, ultimately, to improve your composition I think the best thing to do is to look at paintings because painters have to create the whole composition; their composition is completely intentinonal. The trouble is that it's difficult to look at paintings: you can look at a painting for a few minutes and think about the composition, but the only real way to understand the composition is by making a sketch of the painting that emphasizes the compositional elements. That's a huge effort that, understandably, most people do not want to undertake. I do feel, however, that the time I spent drawing and painting did more than anything else to teach me how to see, which is what you need for good photography.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Lili

the time i go from being a kitten...:ROTFL:

seriously, all, thank you for the encouragement. i blame this awful flu for making me obviously so needy. i promise to get back into the groove and play around this week before surgery on friday. i think i've just been psychologically protecting myself from withdrawal. the doc hasn't said how long i'll be banned from shooting yet. it may just be my own tolerance for pain. knowing me, i'll pick my camera up the second the novocaine wears off....
Cam, ROFL about the '4.5' now
Seriously, I understand quite well. I think this last bout of Flu was the worst I've ever had. I imagine that combined with stress from surgery would be horrid! Good luck and I hope you feel well soon and start shooting equally quickly :angel: