The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sigma photo pro 3

Wayne, this is getting totally insufferable....:rolleyes:

Here I had decided the DP cameras are not for me: too quirky, and good alternatives with similar-sized sensors coming up...

And then you (and several others) feed us with images like these! :clap:

How long will I be able to resist?....:confused:

E

EWR72

A great collection of images. Very nice processing and range of photos. I have also been quite interested in the DP cameras especially the DP2 with its longer photo length as I already have a Ricoh GRD and Panasonic LX3. If you have more images be sure to post them:thumbs:

smokysun

ah, per, it has to be the foveon sensor combined with the lens. some say the pics even better than the sigma dslr cause of this. i've run another test for you. i shot some at 800iso and -3 ev this morning, which i believe is 6400 iso. converted in sigma pro, cleaned up in cs3 with a bit of neat image. lots of detail left.

thanks, ewr2. if you go to www.pbase.com/wwp and scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find a number of dp1 galleris, especially the last.

Last edited:
ah, per, it has to be the foveon sensor combined with the lens. some say the pics even better than the sigma dslr cause of this. i've run another test for you. i shot some at 800iso and -3 ev this morning, which i believe is 6400 iso. converted in sigma pro, cleaned up in cs3 with a bit of neat image. lots of detail left.

thanks, ewr2. if you go to www.pbase.com/wwp and scroll to the bottom of the page you'll find a number of dp1 galleris, especially the last.
Seems push processing is back in its digital incarnation... and your images have the same characteristics (except for the football-sized grain..) that pushed Tri-X had: black shadows with almost no contrast, followed by very snappy middle tones and highlights. It´s that exceptional, MF-like drawing that seems to set these Sigmas apart.

I understand the DP-* cameras really have a personality all of their own, quirks and all. And true artists always have found ways to employ such tools to get what they´re after... Run-of-the-mill equipment doesn´t give the same kind of challenge.

We´ll see... I had recently decided to stay with my present combo (G1, DL4, and of course Digilux 2) for the time being. Now, a tiny Sigma just might squeeze in somewhere....

The important thing is to realize that gear, however good, is no substitute for vision....

smokysun

good heavens, per, don't buy another camera. you've got a great setup. only if you have the chance to use a dp1 and it gives you something the others don't. sam abell, the national geographic photographer, takes one camera, two lenses, and one kind of film on his shoots cause he's 'looking for a particular kind of picture.' that seems the credo of the most outstanding photo artists in history. (look at abell's books and i think you'll see he follows through.) for the moment i love using the dp1 as a view camera (my mindset). and it will give those kinds of results. it's also as slow as a view camera! i do want to try it more with theater and dance, now that i know i can get film noir type results at high iso.

"if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

good heavens, per, don't buy another camera. you've got a great setup.....
Indeed, as a general philosophy, I couldn´t agree more. For the last few months, that DL4 has dominated my photographic world almost to the exclusion of everything else, and I feel I´m getting more and more out of it.

So, IF (and it´s still a big, glaring if...) I get one of these Sigmas, it would be as a complement, somewhat analogous to the Linhof I owned during film days (but far easier to tote around...). It saw very little shooting, but the results were unlike everything I could do with smaller gear. And, somehow, I sense some similarities with the best Sigma results I´ve seen here and elsewhere.

So maybe, with my big wooden tripod and a dark cloth....;)