The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 as "teacher"

nostatic

I'm sure many have read the TOP post about "Leica as Teacher" (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/05/a-leica-year.html). I really like the concept of this, but frankly I just don't think that I have the patience for film. I haven't dealt with a roll of film in probably 25 years, and part of the attraction of photography right now is the immediacy of the image.

I do however like the idea of a single camera/lens combo and shooting that for some period of time (there was a follow on post where he ammended his advice to include other similar options). I could just use my K20d and one of my primes, or the EP1 and 17mm, but I'm also intrigued by the DP2 and the sensor. While I appreciate ergos and a good design, it seems like the DP2 with grip could fit the bill and maybe serve as the "teacher." I like the form factor of my DLux4 and that is my "take everywhere camera" due to size.

Basically this is of course just rationalization to buy another toy ;) but as wondering about comments from other users. With my K20d I find I usually have a 31/1.8 so the 40mm fov would be about right for the way I tend to see the world.

smokysun

the franiec grip, the voigtlander vf, and the extension & hood make it much more fun to use. you can always try it for two weeks and send it back! what it might teach you is the limit to your patience.

best of luck,
wayne

ps. i have been learning to shoot with it faster. it will shoot 3 raw in continuous. so, in single you can fire one off pretty quickly after another. with this proviso: the focus and exposure will stay the same until the buffer completely clears.

Don Ellis

Like Wayne, I've modified mine, as well. I used Richard's grip (marvellous product), the lens adapter and hood and UV filter, a Markins quick-release plate, and, while I have the Sigma VF-21 viewfinder, I haven't used it yet. But it looks cool. :)

All of these components, less the viewfinder, make the camera a real pleasure to handle. And I like the feel of the camera, as well.

Don

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
nostatic..... No static here...

I think I'm getting where you want to be....I agree with the 1 camera, 1 lens approach,
for a spell.....
The thing to find is your natural inner vision, or your FOV. Of course that is subject to change but we all have a starting place and either zoom in or out from the natural FOV.
You state that yours is about 4omm. So, the DP-12 is an ideal choice. I state that because anyone that is aware of their natural FOV is also aware of the process of seeing and image making.

The DP2 is a great choice.....
For me....my quest has been for a camera that would kinda work like my M4. My M4 had some changes made to it by Leica years ago....such as...

The range finder was removed...and the frame line was only for 35mm. My natural FOV is 35mm...so the DP-1 as great as a camera it is...and the DP2 as great as that is...both are just outside my natural FOV. Of course, I could use them and I did...but my accuracy in framing was hindered....

Enter the Pen with the 17mm....NIRVANA.....finder on the way.....

So....to you again...working with 1 lens and 1 camera takes a great commitment. The rewards are that after a short spell, you feel relaxed and COMPLETE.

Your eyes start to work again and you pay more attention to perspective, content and framing....
I used to work this way and I do again now.....

Enjoy your quest...it's one shared by many...... You have many images that excite the eyes....
shooter

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I too really love the clarity of view you can achieve with a one lens solution. I personally use an M8 with a 35mm lens which basically gives me a 50mm field of view and I use nothing else anymore except for very specific purposes. I think that Don's point about find your field of view is very important though. I had a GRD2 with a 28mm field of view and just do not see that way.

nostatic

I have a fairly minimal setup (compared to a lot of people). With my dSLR I find that I mostly have a 31/1.8 lens on it (46mm effective FOV), though I prefer the look through the viewfinder with the 43/1.9 (64mm effective). I am just not a "wide" kind of guy though sometimes shooting at 24mm effective with the DLux4 is useful. But typically I like something longer and it feels like 50mm or so is about right.

I suppose I could just get an M8 and 35 cron. But my budget might not be very happy ;)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Funny thing....
On a Leica M...
35 is not wide for me....
50 is kinda like a short tele....
90 is like a real long lens and I have a few,
I'll bet I don't have over 100 frames in over
45 years.... with the 90 or 75.

It's your FOV ya have to find....

I found it baby, I found it.....
That 17mm on the Pen, at my age is like

Ah....uh....... a 17mm on the Pen

Last edited:

smokysun

an interesting discussion for me, since i tend toward wide-angle. yet i haven't used the nikon converter to bring 28 down to 21 on the dp1 hardly at all. i went out in the backyard and shot some comparison pics. i think the 21 includes too much, whereas the 28 includes the surroundings to just the degree i like.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
The 28 FOV suites you. I have noticed that you have a unique way of dealing with negative space....., graphically and tonally....

smokysun

thanks, don. i used the d-lux 2 for a whole year and no other camera and really enjoyed it. tele does come in handy sometimes. however i'm really getting used to not having it.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

nostatic

I think one reason I struggle with wide is that I don't reay see the negative space. Rather what I'm drawn to is angles and textures, often in abstraction. Macro got me back into shooting a few years back but I've drifted beyond that. Since I often like to decontextualize (to find the interesting in mundane) a narrower fov helps me achieve that.

I've been trying to shoot the dlux4 at about 40-45 but the lack of stepped zoom makes it hard. At least the pen zoom is marked. Have to experiment some more but I find it hard to do one focal length if I've got a zoom - my mind and fingers wander instead of my feet.