The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how many cameras is enough?

nostatic

"never enough" isn't allowable. I"m wondering what is in people's collection, and what they use on a regular basis. Using the Reidism, it seems that you'd want at least one of various sensor sizes because they "draw" differently. But there also is an issue with usability and learning a different "manual of arms" (for those of you who shoot things other than cameras).

Right now I have:

D Lux 3 (what I mostly shoot with at the moment)
Panasonic FZ-20 - long throw zoom (36-432) that can be useful but I'm not crazy about the IQ..almost never use it
Canon SD400 (what I used to shoot with a lot, very pocketable but now used by my 11 year old son)
Nikon D70 - used to use a 105mm micro almost exclusively but the sensor is now sick and I sold off all the lenses anticipating a switch to Pentax. Either will sell or let my son use it (he loves manual focus)
Canon A620 - got it because it was supposed to do macro well. Ended up giving it to a g/f.

I'm thinking small sensor, dslr with a couple lenses and that could cover it. But it is fun to have different approaches, and the GRD2 still calls to me as I think that shooting with it would change my approach (just as the 16x9 of the DLux has). I also am moving more manual as I go...one thing I like about a dslr with old prime lenses.

you?

Last edited:

Lili

Moi?
In order of useage;
Now my GRD, my 'carry camera'
My Fuji's, S5200 (38-380mm efl) and S6000fd (28-300mm efl) 'superzoom' bridge cameras.
My Pentax K100D, in Hospital for hot pixels, used mainly with 50/1.4 'big-eye' lens.
Sold-off
Nikon Coolpix S6, tiny, light, frustrating P&S
Given Away
Fuji Finepix F31fd, lovely available light machine, frustrating interface, too few image controls
If my K100D is not covered by warranty it and the two kit lenses and the 1.4 will go.
In plaxe of it may come a E-410 or 420.
Gotta love that 25/2.8
I consider also a Nikon D40, are there pancake lenses for that?

scott kirkpatrick

"never enough" isn't allowable. I"m wondering what is in people's collection, and what they use on a regular basis. Using the Reidism, it seems that you'd want at least one of various sensor sizes because they "draw" differently. But there also is an issue with usability and learning a different "manual of arms" (for those of you who shoot things other than cameras).

you?
OK, I'll play. I have a GRD-2 and GRD. Thinking of using the 21mm converter on the GRD only, because it is clumsy to install it while walking about. They work almost the same, so that's one manual. I had a GX-100, but my 10-yr old daughter, inspired by Cheyenne Reid, has it now and is off doing a reportage at the local pizza parlor.

I have one M8 body, and several lenses. No manual needed. Covers almost everything I ever need. Don't think I'll exhaust its capabilities.

I used an E-1 for a few years, have some nice lenses from that time, and bought an E-3 to get more use of the lenses. There's quite a manual that goes with it. The M8 vs the E-3 is an either/or proposition, as I don't like to carry a lot of stuff with me. The E-3 does nicely when I am only shooting with its longer lenses.

scott

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This is a very tough question,
it is something like how much air, water, food, or sex is enough.
I have not yet found my limit in any of these dimensions yet, and suppose that when I do I will also have eaten enough and drank enough.

As far as cameras are concerned I have lessee....
2 M8's 1 MP, 1 D200, 1 D300 about to arrive, 1 F3HP, 1 Panasonic DMC-LX2, a Canon SD800 IS an iPhone, and a Polaroid SX70.
As for the other things......, well maybe best said that as long as I can stand, there be never enough.
-bob

kai.e.g.

Wow you guys are certainly digitally geared-up! I have a Canon D60 dSLR which I purchased in 2002. I gave away my old Nikon Coolpix 950 at that time.

All my other gear is (really) analog: Pentax Super A, Yashica FX-3, Contax 139Q, Contax T2, and some very much older stuff (most of which I still use regularly) like a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta BX (by far my favourite to use), Pentacon 6 (also 6x6), Welta Weltur (again 6x6), a Corfield Periflex (a most unusual Leica screwmount camera that offers TTL-focusing via a tiny little periscope that slides down behind the lens), a couple of Soviets: Zorki-1 & FED-2, and a mix of L39-mount lenses from various places. I hasten to add that these older cameras are somewhat older than me (very much so in the case of the Welta).... all the better to learn from :)

Obviously, I use that D60 regularly, and that's why I'm chasing compacts now, since I don't want to carry it everywhere. I often go out with one of those older cameras simply because they are so much smaller (well, apart from the monstrous Pentacon 6). I'm no Luddite when it comes to technology, but I have managed to curtail my genuine lust for modern gadgetry as much as possible over the past few years!

Maggie O

I've got two cameras; an M8 and a D-Lux 3.

I don't really count my film cameras, because they're in storage in California. So, there's a Nikon F3, a Canonette GIII QL-17, an Olympus XA and a Polaroid SX-70 sitting in a camera bag out there.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Canon 5D
Leica M8 and Epson R-D1
Leica IIIG, M3, M4
Modified Holga 120N.
Ricoh GR-DII

Use the M8 and the 5D the most but am shooting the IIIG and M3 to get back to film more.
Still trying to sort out the GR-DII for my shooting tastes. But already love it fitting in my shirt pocket.

Should shoot the Holga more and the RD-1 is the home of my Canon 0.95 and M8 back up.

And I await the Canon replacement for the 5D so I'll have two FF Canon bodies.

Let's don't even talk about lenses as I'm a Glass Whore. Never met a Fast lens I didn't like... Want Canon LTM 50/1.2 for the IIIG.

Last edited:

gromitspapa

Nikon D300- my main boy.
Contax G2- for DSLR quality in a P&S with AF and motor drive. Film required. Zeiss glass.
GX100- for a good quality compact.
Olympus 850 SW- for always-in-the-pocket or waterproof applications.

I'd still like to have something compact with DSLR-level quality that's not as restricted as the DP1 or expensive as the M8. Love to have a D3. Need strobes. Need models. Help...

Terry

My way back into photography was through the Digilux 2. It was a camera that just felt so right. At that time I wasn't carrying around a camera all the time so along came the D-lux3.....

But then.....the Digilux 2 sensor died and the D-lux3 was sitting in my house in AZ while I was in NY and could not retrieve it. Having nothing I went on a small sensor camera journey and bought a bunch (FZ8, TZ3, A630....OK that is all I will admit to).

With the Digilux 2 going into its fifth month of being at Leica with and no current supply of new sensors in stock, I called Leica about upgrading to the M8. The BEST, BEST, BEST customer support experience in my life, they let me upgrade with a very generous allowance for my dead D2. No new cameras but lots of lenses since then.

I was very anti dslr because of the bulk and for me I just knew there was no chance I would carry it around the city or travel

Of the small sensor cameras, if the d-lux3 (with the manual controls+RAW) and TZ3 (with excellent range 28-280) could be merged together with a couple of other enhancements it would be a killer.

I applaud the effort on the DP1 but its lack of flexibility for the price leaves me a little cold.

Lili

If I include my film cameras
Minox 35gl
Cosina CX-2 (the ur-lomo)
Voiglander Vito II
Voigtlander Perkeo II
Agfa Click
Agfa Clack
Zeiss Box-Tengor 54/2
Agfa Cadet
Yashica GSN
Yashica GTN
Olympus 35SP
Yashicamat original model
Yashica D with Yashinon lenses
Sawyers Mk IV
Ricoh R-1
Konica Hexar AF

The Minox is the same model as my first camera, a heavily used GL my Dad gave me on graduating High School. It was stolen in college, I just replaced it in the last year or so.
The Konica was my only film camera for a long time.
The rest were given to me or collected in the past 3 years.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Current cameras are the Nikon D2Xs, my Nikon F3, an M8, Nikon 990, and Canon S70.

I've owned cameras in the past that I miss, but would never buy again. Mostly view cameras. Yeah, I do kind of miss them. The medium format stuff? Not so much.

nostatic

so is the M8 "all that and a bag of chips"? Would one eschew a dslr and just trip the light fantastic with that and a small sensor beast (well, other than TEB ;))? I've never shot a rangefinder and the price is prohibitive (well, until I sell my track car). It feels like a religion...

simonclivehughes

Here's what I have currently:

Digital
(2) Leica M8 bodies with various lenses (CV & Leica)
Leica D-Lux 2
Ricoh GRD II & 40mm
Panny TZ3
Leica V-Lux 1 (my wife uses this)
Nikon 8800 (used by my wife before the V-Lux)

Film
Leica M4-P
Olympus XA-2

Are they enough? Well certainly until something else essential comes along, at which point some may become barter!

Cheers,

Terry

so is the M8 "all that and a bag of chips"? Would one eschew a dslr and just trip the light fantastic with that and a small sensor beast (well, other than TEB ;))? I've never shot a rangefinder and the price is prohibitive (well, until I sell my track car). It feels like a religion...
I had never used a rangefinder before buying the M8. I really like it A LOT and I happy about my decision. It is a very clean interface with very few buttons. When you take a shot, nothing blanks out at all and you are always ready to take that second shot unlike some of the small sensor cameras.

I hope that Leica can come up with a way to put a good fast lens (prime is fine) on a small package with a big sensor and wow us!