The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To buy or not to buy.

D

D upton-Hackett.

That is my dilemma!

Guys as you know I'm trying to save for a DP2 but on browsing ebay there are 2 Leica Digi 2 for auction. I am aware of the camera differences but my question is. In your opinion witch gives the better pic IQ.

One of the Leica's has a replaced sensor the other was made after the faulty batch so hasn't. One has the complete bundle, the other just Bat/charger> usb and neck-strap.

Apparently S/hand current Mkt value is £220-300.

I know buying a camera is a personal thing but a little expert guidance would be very helpful.

Thank you. Derek.

dhsimmonds

Derek - If it was me, I would go for the D2. I have the Pana version the LC1 and it is the one camera that I shall never sell. It has accompanied me around the world twice, had it's sensor replaced FOC by Panasonic, now looks a bit tatty as it's leather covering needs replacing but it still take s stunning pictures.

The D2 will become or is already a classic camera. The "magic" combination of that vario Summicron lens and sensor produces wonderful images. Yep the buffer is mean but you soon learn how to work with that.

Tim

Derek,

quite different cameras. No zoom on the DP2 but DP2 is likely a bit smaller and lighter. I regretted not getting one of those Leicas but alas we can't get them all.

I have a DP2 and the Foveon combined with a great optic produces output that rivals a lot of DSLRs IMHO. Someone suggested that its not so much the Foveon but the fact that its design means it does not need an AA filter which helps with its stunning results. I am working on some window lit 3/4 length portraits to be PP in BW and so far the DP2 is yielding results I like. You have to post process all the DP2 files to extract the best from it, this requires a small extra effort. :lecture:

Tough choice as I have seen some great results from the Leica and I might be wrong but I'd vote the DP2 as better IQ. As with anything used, caveat emptor.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Thanks Dave and Tim.
I am torn between the 2 the only the cash of £649 for DP2 with EVF,
Can afford the Leica witch at £210 at the moment and has 8h 10m left.

The other is the Pany LC1 With the camera is a battery, charger, strap and USB lead. £103 with 8h left.In good used condition, some slight marks on base. ONE dead pixel on rear LCD.

What a decision.
Derek.

smokysun

derek, both great cameras (i've dp1 not 2). the dp2 definitely smaller. however the digilux 2 has a tele, electronic vf, and the dials on the lens a joy to use. it's resale value will not drop. however, be sure about the sensor. mine had to be replaced. leica has great customer service. i suspect it will go up in price with the final biddling.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. remember the digilux has five megs on a 2/3 sensor, the dp2 14 on an aps size sensor (despite arguments over the real size of the dp2)

Terry

Wow, that is a huge price difference for the two. Curious where the auction ended. At £649 I think the DP2 is ghastly expensive. The DP1 has dropped so much in price I don't see the DP2 staying at that price for too long. I loved my Digilux 2. I only got rid of it when it was in for sensor replacement and it was so backlogged I worked out an upgrade to the M8 with Leica.

The GF1 could be a really interesting camera for you. If the pancake lens is part of the kit, you will have the same focal length as a DP2 and as you save more money you can expand the system. With the DP2 you don't have much flexibility....but some marvelous photographers have done wonders at that (or close) focal length.

D

D upton-Hackett.

Thanks all,
The two cameras mentioned D/2 went for over £300 and i missed the pany by a whisker went for £235.
Just wish i had the cash for a DP2. my small pension dictates how much i can save.
Will have to sell my mint Pany FZ28. but would like to keep my GX200.

Just have to keep looking. and thanks for your help.

Derek.