The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rat Removal Kit

Don Ellis

Just HateRats.
Very nice pic though.
Derek.
Thanks, Derek... I don't hate rats, but then we all have our own experiences with them.

Actually, I haven't seen too many rats to hate here. I remember washing dishes in my old flat and looking into the air shaft (nice view), when I saw one climbing up a television cable wire on his way to the roof. That was 19 years ago.

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

arrggh...you're selling me on the DP-2. There certainly is something to the image it creates.
Well, if you think rat traps are good, wait until you shoot something interesting. :D

I've had the DP2 for just over three months now and I love it. There certainly is something to the images it creates. If you get a DP2, remember never to judge a photo on the LCD or before SPP has its way with it. It will be like opening a dull brown cardboard box to find a beautiful gift inside. It's always a surprise.

Don

nostatic

Well, if you think rat traps are good, wait until you shoot something interesting. :D

I've had the DP2 for just over three months now and I love it. There certainly is something to the images it creates. If you get a DP2, remember never to judge a photo on the LCD or before SPP has its way with it. It will be like opening a dull brown cardboard box to find a beautiful gift inside. It's always a surprise.

Don
Well, Rat Trap is an old favorite tune of mine, so maybe I'm biased ;)

I'm still pondering the DP2 as "teacher" thing, and not chimping with the LCD but rather waiting to see what "develops" is kinda like the delayed gratification with film.

I just need more money...

Don Ellis

Well, Rat Trap is an old favorite tune of mine, so maybe I'm biased ;)
Funny where our biases originate.

I'm still pondering the DP2 as "teacher" thing, and not chimping with the LCD but rather waiting to see what "develops" is kinda like the delayed gratification with film.
I do the same thing when I hold the camera at waist level and just shoot scenes "blind." It's like getting a roll of film back from the shop when I open the images onto the computer screen and see them for the first time.

I just need more money...
I'm very sympathetic to that impulse.

Speaking of money, I just upgraded got the new-generation iPhone 3GS. One of the improvements is an upgrade to the camera from 2 to 3 megapixels. I started my digital photo days with the 3-megapixel Canon G1, so it's just like old times in terms of image size. :)

Cheers,
Don

nostatic

At least the food is better and cheaper in HK so buying too much gear doesn't mean eating poorly ;)

I actually played with an Apple QuickTake (and was doing 160x120 Quicktime videos on the web) back in the mid-late 90's so I can appreciate coming full circle.

otumay

Don
You've summed up my sentiments about DP-1 perfectly. I guess DP-2 processing in SPP has even more gratifications compared to DP-1. Excellent shots by the way, made me question why we do not have a separate place for these remarkable cameras in GetDPI forums. The Foveon sensor is not small, anyway.

Best,

Osman

Don Ellis

You've summed up my sentiments about DP-1 perfectly. I guess DP-2 processing in SPP has even more gratifications compared to DP-1. Excellent shots by the way, made me question why we do not have a separate place for these remarkable cameras in GetDPI forums. The Foveon sensor is not small, anyway.
Best,
Osman
Thanks, Osman... there is an interesting thread about the Kodachrome look of DP2 images noted in the September issue of Popular Photography.

Whatever comparisons are made, however, the Foveon images are certainly a beautiful advance on any of the compact cameras I've used.

Coincidentally, between my last message and this one, I dragged a DP2 image into Photoshop CS4 with ACR 5.4 (out of sheer laziness because CS4 was open). I processed it to a point that looked good to me and then decided to do the same thing with SPP 3.5.

I much prefer the SPP image. There was a thread on DPreview some time ago where people were arguing that they could achieve the same look with ACR... perhaps they can, but they would need a reference image as a guide, plus some time and effort.

I love the simplicity of the SPP and I have the feeling that it is tuned for the Foveon images in a way that other converters aren't.

Anyway, it was a good reminder for me to use only Sigma PhotoPro.

Cheers,
Don

P.S. And I would be happy with a separate forum for Foveon or DP1/2.

Lili

Don't know... I had the #8, 24 and 27 at the sushi bar around the corner. :p

I try not to be that predictable. My cat photos will using say "Spooks" in the subject line, because that's the fool's name.

Cheers,
Don

I ADORE Spooks Kitty! DOn you are doing very nice work. ANd "Kodachrome
' is exactly the descriptor I would use for much DP1/2 work I see...