The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Darjeeling Cobbler

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nice shot. And the guy does have movie-star hair.

I confess though that when I saw the title in the list of new posts, I thought it was going to be some sort of exotic, fruit pastry desert! :D

Don Ellis

Don,
Great Stuff - you're a master at finding stunning subjects throughout Asia.
Thanks very much... although I must say that all you have to do is look around you in Asia to find something exotic -- defined as "so different from what you see in Missouri as to be scarcely believable." :)

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

Great slice of life/environmental portrait Don
One wonder what his story is....
That's the problem, isn't it? We usually have to settle for a compromise. We have the pleasure of photos of interesting people, but we never know what their stories are... we can only imagine and that's never the same as knowing. Thank you for the nice comment, Lili

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

Nice shot. And the guy does have movie-star hair.

I confess though that when I saw the title in the list of new posts, I thought it was going to be some sort of exotic, fruit pastry desert! :D
Over half a million words in the English language and we have to use the same one for a peach concoction and a shoe repairman. The only saving grace is that I don't have to learn English as a second language. :D

My grandfather was a cobbler, so I tend to photograph them when I see them. "Shoe repairman" is as awkward as "cobbler" is succinct and Old World.

As for Indians, they're one of the few races where both the men and the women are often great-looking. And they often have great hair. :p

Cheers,
Don

Lili

Cobbler is a great term, and a highly skilled profession.
Those who can create are to be honored

Don Ellis

Cobbler is a great term, and a highly skilled profession.
Those who can create are to be honored
I agree... you can't walk a mile in a man's shoes unless he has a pair. :)

I spent my first 17 summers on earth, but one, at my grandparents' in Kansas, and I learned a lot about repairing shoes, boots, belts and saddles. Perhaps the greatest machine in the shop, standing two and a half feet square and taller than my grandfather, was the sewing machine whose only purpose in life was stitching soles to uppers. It was like a single-piston John Deere tractor in its relentless choonka-choonka-choonka as it pierced its way through multiple layers of leather.

These days, they're just glued on with an embossing on the upper so that it looks like they're stitched. I've returned a pair of Church's and a pair of Ballys after just a few weeks when the soles separated and left me walking like a duck... and at US$300 a pair.

Cheers,
Don