The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 Vs Ricoh GRD III

sagar

How does they compare? I understand E-P1 Quality may be far better from from overall image usability prospective how do they compare?

Terry

There really is no comparison. With the GRD III you have a TINY camera with a fantastic user interface but have a prime 28mm lens.

The E-P1 is much larger (emphasis on much) and has much more flexibility with interchangeable lenses (for a full focal length range) and a larger sensor for more control of the DOF and presumably better image quality.

I wish all camera makers would study the GRD user interface.

sagar

Thanks, that helps a bit.

To give some more background for my question, I have been using E-P1 for few days (not even week) and pretty happy with it. I bought it because I wanted smallest possible camera which can be a real photographic tool and really prefer GRD/GX series. I did try GRDII /GX100 earlier but sold both due to high ISO image quality (need at least good quality 800 ISO).

After reading threads here and some blogs, I just ordered GRD III but I can keep only one of them :( So looking for feedback to help me take a decision

nostatic

I have compared files from the E-P1 directly to the same shots with DLux4. If you pixel peep there is no contest - the bigger sensor wins hands down.

Almost anything can be a "real" photographic tool. I used to think that being able to shoot raw is the main factor for that but I actually shoot mostly jpg with the DLux4 due to the raw files not be supported by Aperture. There is no hiding place from physics. I can take the same shot with DLux4, E-P1 and K20d. The bigger sensor will always give the "better" file. It may not be the one I like the most, but it will be "better" by most technical standards.

I think ergonomics and UI are very important. For most typical output (web posting and small prints) there frankly isn't much difference between p&s and full frame other than DOF capabilities. If however you need to print large, crop heavily, or want more complete control over the look, then you have to drift towards a larger sensor. And of course, if you aren't carrying the camera with you, you won't get the shot.

sagar

And of course, if you aren't carrying the camera with you, you won't get the shot.
This is my biggest issue. I am a hobbiest photographer and have virtually not taken a single print of my images beyond 5x7 but that not to say I may not take in future.

I used and loved Canon S50 and Sony V1 which I used to carry with me day and night. Assuming I grew up, I sold them off and bought DSLR which then I did not even used 1/10 of the time I used V1 or S50...just becuase I did not carry it with.

But SLR spoiled me big way, in terms of image quality and responsiveness of SLR and now I want it in smallest possible package. :D

Terry

This is my biggest issue. I am a hobbiest photographer and have virtually not taken a single print of my images beyond 5x7 but that not to say I may not take in future.

I used and loved Canon S50 and Sony V1 which I used to carry with me day and night. Assuming I grew up, I sold them off and bought DSLR which then I did not even used 1/10 of the time I used V1 or S50...just becuase I did not carry it with.

But SLR spoiled me big way, in terms of image quality and responsiveness of SLR and now I want it in smallest possible package. :D
Given what you just said, perhaps you would also like the new Canon S90 announced this week. It has a fast lens and it also has a decent range on it's zoom. At the wide 28mm end the lens is just about as fast as the GRD. I think it will be a lot cheaper than the GRD III. Don't get me wrong the GRD III should be fantastic, but 28mm might be a bit limiting as your main camera.

With the new control rings this looks like it could be really interesting

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081907canons90.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081906canons90handson.asp

MHC

Agree with TEBnewyork, it's worthy to have a wait for the S90. Personally I have a D80, S30/45/70, and then GRD2.

In terms of ergonomics, control and UI, GR Digital will provide you a wonderful experience that other small compacts can't. It's snap shot mode esp in B/W is cool too. Also for it's macro mode.

However, up to now, I still didn't like much of GRD2's color. Maybe because of my poor skill, the color is always abit deviated from the real scene esp when shooting people. On the contrary, Canon's S series produce very good and natural color. Just not sure how the upcoming S90 will be in interms of controls and PQ.

retow

Thanks, that helps a bit.

To give some more background for my question, I have been using E-P1 for few days (not even week) and pretty happy with it. I bought it because I wanted smallest possible camera which can be a real photographic tool and really prefer GRD/GX series. I did try GRDII /GX100 earlier but sold both due to high ISO image quality (need at least good quality 800 ISO).

After reading threads here and some blogs, I just ordered GRD III but, ie I can keep only one of them :( So looking for feedback to help me take a decision
As you, I had tried the GX100, GRDII, GX200, to sell all after a few months of use because high iso IQ. I have the GRDIII for about 2 weeks now, and find it excellent for a small sensor camera. High iso performance probably is on par with the LX3, which I sold to fund the GRDIII, i.e. good enough for my liking. Enough has been said about Ricoh's UI, simply the gold standard, a joy to use for street shooting, with adtl functionalities added as compared to the GRDII.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation. I never quite settled in the digital world, because compacts were too limiting and my E-420 is way to large to carry around everywhere. With film, I had a compact on my belt at all times. It was 10x6x3cm, so just about the size of current compact digitals. The funny coincidence is that that analog one (Minolta TC1) had a fixed 28mm lens and is in many other ways comparable to the GR-D series. So I'm familiar with the concept and I can't see myself carry only the GR-D iii on holidays. The TC1 was great during the evening (no bags to lug around), but I really wanted more flexibility during the day (wider angles, tele, ...)

Of course, the E-P1 offers by far the most flexibility. I wonder if I can use it as a 100% replacement for my SLR. I would carry it everywhere with the 17 or 20mm prime in a belt pouch. Would that be comfortable, or too heavy ? It'd be twice as heavy as some compacts, around 400gr. I have a bag for other lenses when needed, but I really want to have a belt camera as unnoticeable as possible.

Other options are indeed the S90, GX200 or the unavailable LX3 (a little bit smaller and a whole bit lighter than the E-P1). But I can't stop thinking about the E-P1.

I'm visiting London early October and I'd like to play around with these kinds of cameras. Is Tottenham Court Road a good place to play with good cameras & buy ?

Michael S

Peter, if you consider your E-420 "way too large" to use as a carry-around, then I would be surprised if the EP1 is what you want.

You gain a little reduction in size (check the specs), and weight (330 g vs. 385 g for the body -- not quite 2 ounces) but you lose the optical finder and the built-in flash. Depending upon how/what you shoot, those might or might not be missed.

Another possible option: a pancake lens for your E-420 and a slightly larger belt pouch ?

Incidentally, since I'm primarily a street snapper, the GX200 and the just-announced Canon S90 interest me as well.

Last edited:

kweide

When i read this i feel sometimes i have to reactivate my old GRD.....but no. The E-P1 gives more and yes, i love my little GRD anyhow. E-P1 gives me the chance to change my view ! to change the lenses to interact as if i have my ultimate love "M6" again in my hands. Yes i confess: E-P1 brings me back that fxxxxxxx Leica M6 feeling. That is why i have the E-P1

Uh, i am a nasty boy sometimes... :)

P

PeterLeyssens

Another possible option: a pancake lens for your E-420 and a slightly larger belt pouch ?
I considered that, but when I tried it in the shop when buying the E-420 (with the 25mm pancake, indeed), it wouldn't fit any ouch. I bought myself a Domke 945 pouch, but it looks like I'm about to leave on a day trip through the Sahara, way too big :ROTFL:

The main reason why the E-420 is way too big for pockets and pouches, is the prism/flash hump. Since the E-P1 eliminates both, I'm wondering if it'd be a better fit. Of course, the lens still sticks out. Brick shapes have advantages, sometimes.

When i read this i feel sometimes i have to reactivate my old GRD.....but no. The E-P1 gives more and yes, i love my little GRD anyhow.
I definitely have to find a shop where I can fondle all these cameras now !

Peter.

S

SimonL

If you are not in a hurry then I would hang around a week or two and look at the Panasonic GF-1 in September [allegedly].

Similar to the EP-1 but if the focussing is based on the Panny G-1 system then it may well surpass the EP-1. Time will tell............